Location of confederate regimental resources like Dyer's?

Keiri

Sergeant
What would be the best way to start with a location and then work back to what confederate units were there on what days? I have my guys who are the Wisconsin 17th Inf, and I wanted to see what units were around them on any given day (I have a day-by-day breakdown of where they were.) I ran into a story from a confederate soldier in Orangeburg the same day my boys were and it was a fascinating read from the other side. Any thoughts?

Much appreciated

What would be the best way to start with a location and then work back to what confederate units were there on what days? I have my guys who are the Wisconsin 17th Inf, and I wanted to see what units were around them on any given day (I have a day-by-day breakdown of where they were.) I ran into a story from a confederate soldier in Orangeburg the same day my boys were and it was a fascinating read from the other side. Any thoughts?

Much appreciated
Try this www.civilwararchive.com/regim.htm
Leftyhunter

Much appreciated

North Carolina –http://www.ncpublications.com/\\/nc_rostr/default.htm

Virginia—http://www.bainesbooks.com/varegsrs.php A number of the Virginia regimental histories are out of print.

Thanks, seems like the LOC had one but its offline since years ago.

Try Joseph H. Crute's Units of the Confederate States Army, printed in 1987. Brief history of all Confederate Army units, listed by State. Out of print, but check eBay, you might find a copy for a reasonable price.

The series on the Confederate Army closest to Dyer is Stewart Sifakis' multi-volume work Compendium of the Confederate Armies. It doesn't give you the detail contained in Dyer, nor does it give you the day-by-day information on Confederate units that you would like to have. But, given the destruction of Confederate records it is the best stating point I know of.

Regards,
Don Dixon

Thanks all :smile: Looks like no matter what I'll have to take a trip to the history library in wisconsin, none of these are easily available.

The series on the Confederate Army closest to Dyer is Stewart Sifakis' multi-volume work Compendium of the Confederate Armies. It doesn't give you the detail contained in Dyer, nor does it give you the day-by-day information on Confederate units that you would like to have. But, given the destruction of Confederate records it is the best stating point I know of.

Regards,
Don Dixon

Here's a question that might whittle it down, did the virginia armies ever fight the army of the TN? Is there a way I can weed out those that solely fought potomac? I'm looking for those that fought Army of the TN.

Depends on how you define "Virginia armies." Longstreet's Corps was transferred from the Army of Northern Virginia to the Army of Tennessee from the fall of 1863 through the spring of 1864, fighting at Chickamauga and the Siege of Chattanooga. Some individual Virginia infantry regiments like the 54th and 63rd were part of the Army of Tennessee.

Regards,
Don Dixon

this looks like its going to be a lot of library books to comb through willy-nilly.

Back