"Living with Lincoln" (a documentary on HBO)

Anyone familiar with this documentary? I recorded it this morning and I'm sitting down to watch it now. Looks promising.

Let us know how it was.

Lincoln Election Flag.JPG

Respectfully,
William

It is very good. I'm halfway through it.IIt is about a family who has researched and collected Lincoln photos and artifacts for generations. I've seen photos of Lincoln and his son on here that I've never seen. It was just revealed that Lincoln was coming down with a mild case of small pox when he gave the Gettysburg Address. Cool stuff.

It is very good. I'm halfway through it.IIt is about a family who has researched and collected Lincoln photos and artifacts for generations. I've seen photos of Lincoln and his son on here that I've never seen. It was just revealed that Lincoln was coming down with a mild case of small pox when he gave the Gettysburg Address. Cool stuff.

I remember that about small pox. He supposedly joked, in reference to pesky office seekers, "Now I have something I can give everyone.":smile:

It was a very good documentary. At the end, it was revealed that the dusty old books had killed several people in the family with terminal lung diseases, and that it was decided that it should be donated. In 2015, the entire Meserve family Lincoln collection of 4 or 5 generations was donated to Yale university, which is awesome, because hopefully we'll be uploading and over-analyzing some photos on here pretty soon.

Thanks for sharing this, pfcjking. I had not heard about the documentary before. On a related note, some readers may recognize Dorothy Meserve Kunhardt and her son, Philip Kunhardt, Jr., as the authors of a fascinating book about Lincoln's assassination and its aftermath, "Twenty Days." (Mrs. Kunhardt's writings also include another well-known book, the children's classic "Pat The Bunny." Clearly a writer of broad literary talent and interests!)

http://www.amazon.com/Slaves-Cause-...KCU_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1456766037&sr=1-1
Thanks for sharing this, pfcjking. I had not heard about the documentary before. On a related note, some readers may recognize Dorothy Meserve Kunhardt and her son, Philip Kunhardt, Jr., as the authors of a fascinating book about Lincoln's assassination and its aftermath, "Twenty Days." (Mrs. Kunhardt's writings also include another well-known book, the children's classic "Pat The Bunny." Clearly a writer of broad literary talent and interests!)
The Kunhardt's have another book on Lincoln that I found a number of years ago. "Lincoln-An Illustrated Biography", by Philip B. Kunhardt, Jr., Philip B. Kunhardt III, and Peter W. Kunhardt, with a foreward by David Donald. The book is the best seller companion volume to the memorable television documentary.
Its a desktop sized paperback (might be in hardback also), approx. 405 pages. publ. 1992. I may have picked it up at the Lincoln Museum in Springfield.
It contains, up to then at least, all the known photographs (I think at least one more has been found since then) of Lincoln plus many of his contemporaries .
And in the intro is the story of how Frederick Hill Meserve started his collection of CW photographs, and then his daughter Dorothy continuing the project. Many cw photographs, and rare artificts, are only available today because of this one mans driving interest after purchasing that one packet of photos for $1.10.
I highly recommend the book to anyone with any kind of interest in Lincoln, And the civil war in general.

Back