Living History at Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park, Arkansas, Oct. 6-7, 1979

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (3).jpg

Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park, Arkansas, was the site of a day-long battle between Federal forces led by James Blunt and Francis Herron and Arkansas and Missouri Confederates of Thomas C. Hindman, fought December 7, 1862. Because it is a state rather than a national park rules and regulations have therefore been more friendly towards reenactors and reenacting than is often the case, and it has been a regular venue for reenactments of the battle on an annual or biannual basis for many years. In October of 1979, however, it was host to a strictly living history encampment of the Confederate Guard Infantry and attached section of mountain howitzer artillery. I was among the gunners at that event, and it is our camp pictured above which was located on the ridge which had been the Confederate position in the actual battle.

Image (4).jpg

This was a weekend encampment whose activity consisted mainly of drill and the requisite camp life. Above, gathering around the campfire before breakfast mess.

Image (7).jpg

As usual, food was a main concern, in this case live chickens to be prepared for the stew pot! Above, Jim Marrs stands with his kettle full of water, typically waiting for someone else to do the dirty work! Fortunately, our captain, Glen Smith, at right below was an actual country boy who knew a thing or two about plucking chickens! Cannoneer Glen Hargis holds the subject while sergeant Mike Hubbard "supervises".

Image (6).jpg

" 'Tis the sighing of the soul for spring chickens far away,
O hard crackers come no more!"

Image (12).jpg

A group of artillery NCO's on the ridge above with the open field across which the Federals attacked; from left-to-right: Mike Hubbard, Ed Owens, Jim Marrs, and Yours Truly.

Image (13).jpg

I acted as battery clerk and it was my duty to make out rosters, passes, etc., as well as writing period-style "letters home."

Image (8).jpg

Our infantry comrades were at the time members of a then-new organization of authentics known as the Confederate Guard which later served as the nucleolus of a larger formation called King's Brigade. Above, they pose to have their collective likeness taken, officers and NCO's kneeling in front.

Image (9).jpg

Leaders of this group included Captain Danny Sessums of Texas at far right wearing a knapsack, and Lt. Robert Serio of Little Rock, Arkansas. One reason Prairie Grove in northern Arkansas near Fayetteville was an ideal spot was that other members included residents of not only Texas and Arkansas but also Oklahoma and Missouri.

Image (14).jpg

Image (11).jpg

Above and below, the company at drill standing in the position of support arms.

Image (10).jpg

Captain Sessums stands at the right of the company next to the first sergeant with the drummer at his side.

Image (15).jpg

Below, I'm standing with one of my pards from the infantry Richard Horrell of St. Louis, Missouri, with whom I served at a notable living history event held at Chickamauga National Military Park, Georgia.

Image (5).jpg

For more on the Battle of Prairie Grove, please see: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-battle-of-prairie-grove-arkansas-december-7-1862.129407/

Last edited:
Great pictures James.

Typed on back of my copy: PRAIRIE GROVE, AR Confederate Guard 25, 26 OCT 1980 Standing left to right: Clifford Pearson, Mike Comer, DeVasher, Doug Harding, James Swain, Steve Ghent, John “Butch” Baker, Edwin Cheney, Frank Friel, Paul Putty, Randy Burns, John Tarbell, Tom Carr, David Tilbury, Lawrence White, Dennis Bowles, Richard Horrell, Kirk Lyons; KNEELING, Left to Right, George Susat, Brooks Whitten, Rick Brewster, Rob Hammond, Roger “Keever-gater” Keever, Wayne Hill, Pat Dowd, Randy Rogers, Geoff Willbanks, James Joplin, Tom barnett, Michael Moore, Randy Carey, Robert Kleiber, Mark Hoskins, Gary Paul, Rick Harding, Ken Meek; Center Front: Danny Sessums, Robert Serio

Attachments

• OCT 1980.jpg
    OCT 1980.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 197
Back