List of northern schools (excepting military academies) whose students won the Medal of Honor?

tellinghistory

Private
Here's another question I'd love to know the answer to: which northern school (excepting military academies) produced the most MOH winners?

I'll start. Since I work at Hillsdale College, we had four MOH winners:
  1. William G. Whitney, 11th MI Inf for action at Chickamauga
  2. Moses A. Luce, 4th MI Inf at Laurel Hill, VA
  3. Cornelius M. Hadley, 9th MI Cav at the siege of Knoxville
  4. Frank D. Baldwin, 19th MI Inf for action at Peach Tree Creek
Source: Hillsdale Honor, Gilbert (1995) mentions three. I recently discovered a fourth, William G. Whitney. I bought some of his personal items for the school last fall.

Here's a tintype of Whitney, now in possession of the Hillsdale Library archives.

14459256978_4f3ab20c68.jpg

Rank and Organization: Sergeant, Company B, 11th Michigan Infantry.

Place and Date: At Chickamauga, Georgia, 20 September 1863.

Entered service at: Quincy, Michigan

Date of issue: 21 October 1895.

Citation: As the enemy were about to charge, this officer went outside the temporary Union works among the dead and wounded enemy and at great exposure to himself cut off and removed their cartridge boxes, bringing the same within the Union lines, the ammunition being used with good effect in again repulsing the attack

Please add MOH winners for the schools you are familiar with. Cite relevant documentation if able. Thx

Daniel Sickles attended what is now known as New York University. I don't think documentation is necessary to show how earned the Medal of Honor for his valorous disobedience to General Meade's orders on July 2, 1863.

Sorry, have to add Pennsylvania's. :smile:

General John Frederick Hartanft, Union College, ( 3rd cousin...... , Dad loved that, not the governor part, the part where he got mad at his troops going home from Bull Run and stayed to fight )

General Alfred Lawrence Pearson
, Meadville and Jefferson College

Lt. James Jackson Purman, an 1864 Waynesburg University alumnus,

University of Pennsylvania
William Robert Douglas Blackwood
Cecil Clay
Joseph Kirby Corson
Henry Algernon Du Pont

There are more in PA- can’t remember where our Schuylkill County men went to school. :angel:

Do you know of any Hillsdale College alumni who served at Gettysburg?
How many, if any, Hillsdale College alumni served in the CSA army?

Here are four from the Gettysburg campaign:

1st Lt James Jackson Purman, 140 PA, Waynesburg College, PA
Capt Morris Brown, Jr., 126 NY, Hamilton College, Clinton, NY
1st Sgt Charles M. Holton, 7 Mich Cavalry, Hamilton College, Clinton NY (for action at Falling Waters, July 14)
Capt John B. Fassitt, aide to BGen Birney, Harvard College

Tiny Union College, a school against whom I competed while attending the University of Rochester, had five. I'm still researching who they were, as well as the strange tale of a sixth recipient whose medal award ( along with those of all in the regiment in which he served) was rescinded in 1917.

Wabash has at least two:

Lt. Colonel John C. Black
Wabash, 1862
Medal of Honor Recipient
Union Army

Captain William P. Black
Wabash, 1864
Medal of Honor Recipient
Union Army

Both were Phi Delt's there, as well.

Back