Links to Letters & Diaries

Excellent letter.

Did he survive the war?
Yes. He was captured at the Battle of the Crater on 30 July 1864. His regiment, the 2nd. Pennsylvania Provisional Heavy Artillery was the first to enter the crater after the mine explosion and he was one of 6 officers in the regiment to be captured. He was then sent to the Camp Asylum Confederate prison in Columbia, SC where he was paroled after 7 months of captivity in March of 1865.

AN ACCOUNT OF THE Escape Of Six Federal Soldiers FROM PRISON AT DANVILLE, VA.: Their Travels By Night
THROUGH THE ENEMY'S COUNTRY TO THE UNION PICKETS AT GAULEY BRIDGE, WEST VIRGINIA, IN THE WINTER OF 1863-64. BY W. H. NEWLIN

This is a free Google book, I just discovered it last night while trying to get information on the extent of Union control in West Virginia, I've only read part so far, but thought others here might like to look at it. I found it interesting that they had to remain under cover, passed along by a Unionist network, until they had reached Charleston. It's about 136 pages.

I haven't read every part of this thread, so please forgive me if this link has already been posted. It is a series of letters from a Boonville, Missouri woman to her daughter, in which she gives amazing detail of the general conditions facing civilians in the area, two of the battles here (very interesting, little known information about the second battle, in which runaway slaves were combatants) and more.

Once at this site, you can access many other collections just by clicking "home" and browsing:

http://statehistoricalsocietyofmissouri.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/amcw/id/10829/rec/1

I have read well in excess of 2000 with a concentration upon the men of the Western theatre. At one time I had well over 200 transcribed onto my computer. Then along came a lovely virus and rid me of my collection.

Hate to hear you lost your collection. I have two large external hard drives I store my collection on and hope that if I ever get a virus they will protect it, but who knows.

Respectfully,

William

Below is a letter written by Oscar McMillan (my 2Xgreat uncle), McMillan House, Gettysburg. He was
in Cole's Cavalry.
http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/history/civil_war/coles_cavalrymen/oscar_letter.htm
Letters from members of the First Maryland Potomac Home Brigade Cavalry

Submitted by: Mark Dudrow

Note: Bolivar, Virginia, September 6, 1862, signed by Oscar in Sentinal issue of September 9, 1862 Oscar is Oscar D. McMillan who enlisted August 23, 1861 as a private and was promoted Sergeant, First Sergeant and First Lieutenant. He was taken prisoner of war September 2, 1862.

Bolivar, Va. , Sept 4, 1862

Dear Sister: I arrived here safely last night, after our last rather unfortunate trip to Loudoun county. I was captured by the Rebels on Tuesday afternoon, about 8 o'clock, and was released on parole. But I will give you a short account of our trip and adventures. We left here early on Monday morning, and got to Waterford about noon, four of the rebel scouts had just left, taking with them one of Captain Means' Loudoun Rangers: a squad of men were dispatched to Point of Rocks for Means' company; about 16 of them got to W. about 5 o'clock; shortly afterwards we galloped to Hillsborough, captured 3 enemy cavalry, went back a few miles, stopped at a farm-house , fed our horses and slept in the barn until daybreak when we started again, traveled about 10 miles, stopped again to feed; in a half hour we were off again, got to Leesburg about 12 o'clock, halted outside of the town, and sent out a reconnoitering party who captured a rebel cavalryman in the town .

After finding there were rebels about in force, Capt. Cole, commanding, fell back slowly, in good order, to save himself from an attack in the rear. On our right was a corn field about a mile long. After we had got about half way to the end of it, the rebels charged on us. About 60'or 70 of us took in a gale after Capt Cole, the rebels following us, when we rallied and drove them back. But one of their squadrons got in our rear and we were between "two fires". We struck to the woods and kept up and kept up a running fight for about 3 miles, when my horse tell and hurt herself. I rode about 200 yards, when the rebels getting among us I took to the bushes and ran about 100 yards, when I was surrounded and had to give up my arms.

One of our company, George Sease, from near Emmitsburg, was shot through the body; James Scott, Edmund Wible, Joseph Wills, Geo. Jacobs, and Samuel McNair were wounded; and Capt. Hunter and 10 of us taken prisoners and paroled yesterday. Wills has a saber cut on the back of his head; and Wible a saber cut on the back - neither wounded seriously, and both are about. Capt Hunter and two lieutenants of Capt. Curls* [Cole's] were paroled to remain in Leesburg, but I think they will be released in a day or two. One of Capt.Means' men and one of Capt. Curls' [Cole's] killed and 15 or 20 wounded in the other companies, several seriously.

One rebel Captain, one Lieutenant, and several privates killed, and a good number wounded. We had about 120 men on our scout; about 50 will cover our loss in killed, wounded and prisoners, we were taken by the 2nd Virginia Cavalry, Col.Mumford, and were outnumbered four to one, besides citizens who turned out in force. The rebel cavalry were the men who dashed on Catlett's Station and Manassas. After we were captured we were taken to Leesburg, and afterwards marched back about four miles towards Manassas, where we were kept until yesterday morning, when we were paroled.

We then made our way .to camp, where we arrived this morning. I hardly expected to get off the field alive, but a kind Providence watched over and protected me. I expect to be home shortly. What I regret most is, that now I can do nothing to help drive back the traitor horde.

OSCAR

http://statehistoricalsocietyofmissouri.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/amcw/id/10829/rec/1[/QUOTE]
I haven't read every part of this thread, so please forgive me if this link has already been posted. It is a series of letters from a Boonville, Missouri woman to her daughter, in which she gives amazing detail of the general conditions facing civilians in the area, two of the battles here (very interesting, little known information about the second battle, in which runaway slaves were combatants) and more.
Once at this site, you can access many other collections just by clicking "home" and browsing:

http://statehistoricalsocietyofmissouri.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/amcw/id/10829/rec/1

I too am a newcomer to this list but do have an extensive collection of ACW letters that I have recently posted to the web as original scans and transcriptions. The author was my great, great uncle who was a passionate opponent of slavery and witness to the civil war. Thomasjacksonletters.com is our first draft of our commitment to make this material available to civil war experts and we would much appreciate all advice and input.

The author wrote these (one sided) first hand accounts of the war from his home in Reading,PA. and wanted to get them published in England to help stop the British supporting the south. (He did.) There is so much material that I thought I should select some headings to match existing threads.

Witnessing a slave market: http://thomasjacksonletters.com/intro.php

A city's response to the assassination and mourning of Lincoln: http://thomasjacksonletters.com/documents.php?id=mourning-of-lincoln

Munitions: http://thomasjacksonletters.com/documents.php?id=the-war-in-great-detail

The fall of Richmond: http://thomasjacksonletters.com/documents.php?id=fall-of-richmond

The curse of slavery: http://thomasjacksonletters.com/documents.php?id=the-curse-of-slavery

How one town prepares to be taken over by the confederates: http://thomasjacksonletters.com/documents.php?id=the-war-in-great-detail

Please know that this website only covers about half of the material that has been handed down to us. I know we are only just beginning but I respect all the input that you might contribute.

Thank you. Ambassadors for Thomas Jackson

I have read well in excess of 2000 with a concentration upon the men of the Western theatre. At one time I had well over 200 transcribed onto my computer. Then along came a lovely virus and rid me of my collection.

I thought we might share online links on this thread. These are my favorites:

http://www.brooks.lib.vt.us/journal.htm

http://www.ioweb.com/civilwar/

http://www.rarebooks.nd.edu/digital/civil_war/diaries_journals/boardman/

http://www.rbhayes.org/hayes/mssfind/285/mallory.htm

http://www.tennessee-scv.org/talley.html

http://www.civilwarletters.com/index.html

http://treasuresbeyondmeasure.hypermart.net/Booklets/civilwarpdf.html

http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/regiment/index.html

http://www.iagenweb.org/civilwar/other/bld.htm

Has several links w/in to various diaries & letters
Great list - thanks for sharing. My ggggrandmother's brother, John Houston Bills was a Tennessee Planter. The Pillars in Boliver, Tennessee is still standing. He kept daily journals which can be viewed at UNC.
1862 through 1871 are available on Digitized Scans. There is some really good reading on the Civil War years and Reconstruction.
http://www2.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv/b/Bills,John_Houston.html

Diary of Sgt. George Powell Clarke of 36th Mississippi Regiment
"Reminiscence and Anecdotes of the War for Southern Independence"
by George Powell Clarke, edited by George A. Smith. The Editor George A. Smith is the great-grandson of Sgt. George P. Clarke, of Company C, 36th Mississippi Infantry Regiment. Both men lived in Decatur, MS.

Pages 324
Print Format: 8.5 X 11 Softback.
The pages are printed with narrow margins and narrow spacing between lines. Many of the paragraphs are quite lengthy; some even flow the entire length of the page or about 460 words. The size of the page, and narrow line spacing, this book is a little difficult to follow from one line to the next.
52 lines max 9 words per line or 460 words/page
Includes a brief intro with genealogy information and photos of George Clarke dated 1870 and 1910. In the back is a copy of Sgt Clarke’s parole papers and a brief history of the 36 Mississippi Regiment by Dunbar Rowland.

Sgt. Clarke wrote this journal in a series of articles in a local newspaper from 1895 to 1898 or over ~4 years. So the journal does read much like a diary as it follows him through the War. He does jump back to events that happened earlier or mentions future topics. This newspaper format controls the length of each section. Some stories are continued through a series of articles but this is not a problem. It is distracting when he writes directly to the reader. It is helpful that he recognizes most of his readers are a new generation who needs to understand the terms and the details of life in the Army.
The title of this publication is typical of the titles of veteran’s journals written of this time. The title implies that this is not a history but a soldier’s story as he saw it. As he occasionally states:
“I am doing just what I set out to do---for the chronicle of big things, see the histories”. Therefore, he doe not include much detail of what occurred at the battles. He does describe some scenes and tries to explain to the reader how they became accustomed to death all around them.
Sgt. Clarke determined to write events as he recalled them and several places he says the events seem like they happened recently. He decided he would not mention any names; either those dead or alive. However, in several places he accurately describes the person so that readers familiar with the community would conclude who the person was. He acknowledges there are still some who can verify many of his stories and in one case he challenged anyone to present their version to the paper.
Sgt Clarke begins with the town seeing some of the first enlisted men off to war. A few months later he enlisted and begins describing events in the local training camp where they were only armed with 10-inch knives donated by a local blacksmith. Life in this camp was full of memories compared to their next camp at Rienzi near Corinth. Here they received arms and began their serious drilling and training.
Some of the battles and campaigns include Corinth, Hatchie River, Snyders Bluff, Vicksburg, Atlanta and Hood’s 1864 Campaign. The section that I found of most interest is his account of life at the Parole and Exchange Camp they were confined after the surrender of Vicksburg. So little is written about how their guards and their freedoms and how they were released to return to service.
The other reason I’m interested in this journal is because he includes details his participation in what I think is referred to as the Rolling Fork Expedition. When Union troops moved north in March 1863, he was among a group who traveled up Deer Creek and the Sunflower River to be ready to engage if needed, I guess. He thought he was volunteering to serve on a gunboat but it turned out to be a un-armed steamer. He would also travel to Grenada and other places in the Mississippi Delta. He is not clear about exactly the places he went and the routes they took but it provides more details about this period before Vicksburg siege.

Quotes

Page 91
The next morning several of us borrowed the yawl of the Captain of the boat and went fishing. This bayou was called Hall’s bayou, and was about 50 yards wide by a half mile long. The timber was so thick and heavy on this bayou that even at mid day it was almost as dark as night. I stated that we went for the purpose of fishing. Did they bite? Yes they bit, but not the fish. The ripple caused by our hooks striking the water was still dancing on the placid surface of the bayou when we heard a musical sound coming from each side of the bayou, sweet as the distant murmur of the famous Eolian Harp. Sixteen millions of mosquitoes, eager for blood were whetting their bills for a general attack on our position. Just at the moment our hooks struck the water the air seemed literally darkened with these musical, though venomous insects. There was no hesitation with them, neither did any fear of what a could do unto them retard their movements in the least. The multitudinous cohorts made one fell swoop---, we made one spasmodic effort to beat them off, and gave it up. We could take no time to draw in our hooks, but throwing poles, lines and all into the water, we made for the mouth of the Bayou. The ravenous millions of insects followed us to the river, and with a musical threat dismissed us. That was by far, the worst mosquito fen I ever got into.

delta6.jpg

Page 89
At the time I write, the whole of the country between the Yazoo and Sunflower Rivers was covered with the waters of an overflow. A man who can stand the malarious nature of the country can produce luxuriant crops of corn, cotton, oats, and all other crops indigenous to the latitude. The timber is excellent, and grows in rich profusion on the banks of the Sunflower (River). Even on a bright sunshine day, a deep twilight reigns, and bears, panthers and other wild beasts roam at will through these primeval forests. When one walks through the Sunflower forest$, he is reminded of stories of Indian Warfare, read of in boyhood days. Of course I am writing of this in April 1863. It may be very different now in April 1897. We left the narrows early on the morning of the 17th (April), and at noon reached Lake George, one of the most beautiful sheets of water in that part of the country. It is some 10 miles long and a quarter mile wide, being simply a widening of the Sunflower River. Myriads of fish, both small and large, could be seen sporting in its transparent depths, the water being clear as crystal, and very deep. It was used at that time as a shipping point, where large steamers from below, stopped and received commissary stores, which smaller boats brought down from the small rivers and creeks above.
$ This corresponds to the location of the present-day Delta National Forest.

Page 107 - Vicksburg siege
The tops of careless weeds and “May Pop” vines boiled in clear water, with a little salt, was considered a great luxury, and we often risked our lives to get them. (Most Southerners are familiar with the vine called "May Pops". I have one growing in my back yard and am considering letting it grow so I can get the chance to pop its fruit as we did as kids.)

Page 113 This calls to mind that just after the capitulation, our commissary departments issued to us some mule meat, that being all they had to give us. I tried to east some of it, but could never get it to the swallowing point. We fried some of it just as we would beef steak---and it was much like it in appearance, but the more I chewed the bigger it got, and I finally had to give it up. I supposed, had I not known that it was mule, I could have eaten it all right, for it was like beef in taste. That was my first and last attempt at mule beef.

And now---- to the Parole and Exchange Camp at Enterprise, MS.
After surrendering on July 4th, they stacked their arms and equipment behind the line and marched into the center of Vicksburg. General Grant and a part of the Union Army landed at the dock and made a parade through town. They were given good rations to eat. He finally concluded the Union leaders wanted to get the word out that life was better if they surrendered or deserted. They stayed in Vicksburg but were told to go home---they were even given a deadline of July 11th to leave. He and several of his company banded together and made the journey back to Newton and to his home in Decatur. He reviewed his experiences over the last 2 years in his journal and retold his stories to the local friends and family. But life was not the same and he felt many look at the soldiers in an odd manner.

This quote picks up after they had been home for about 5 weeks.

Pages 121—127 (excerpts)
I think it was on the 3rd day of September 1863, that I was instructed by Lt. Gallaspy to call on several members of our Company, and inform them that the paroled prisoners from Vicksburg were ordered into camp at Demopolis, AL. Those men lived several miles distant, and I went to see them the same day, giving them the message. On the 4th, in company with Lt. Gallaspy, I went to Chunkey Station, where we were to take the train to Meridian. We slept at Chunkey that night, and the next morning went to Meridian on a freight train. When we reached Meridian, the orders were countermanded. The Captain issued the orders that we would to go Enterprise on the 9th of September, so we went back to Decatur till then.

We again went to the railroad, this time to Hickory, and learning that there would be no train to Meridian until the next morning, Lieutenant Gallaspy proposed that we foot it to Chunkey, as there was an old acquaintance of his on the way that he would like very much to see. We started out walking very leisurely, and night took over us before we reached the place where the Lieutenant expected to meet his friend. I remember that we had to cross a long (railroad), bridge and I also remember that it strained my nerves to the utmost to keep an upright position. I wanted to get down and crawl, but was ashamed to do so in the presence of the Lieutenant, who did not seem to mind it at all. It seemed to me that the water in the creek was a thousand feet below us, and that I was bound to miss the cross ties at every step. But to my intense relief we finally got across and let me tell you right here, I never want to walk another railroad bridge at night. Soon after crossing this bridge we came to the camp of Lieutenant Gallaspy’s friend, who was a railroad contractor, and had a number of hands at work. He insisted on us staying at this camp until morning, saying that he would send us to Chunkey next morning on a hand car. We of course consented, and early next morning, after a good breakfast, we were at Chunkey. The train coming along soon after. We boarded it and were soon at Meridian, where we met our Regiment, and the same day went to Enterprise going into temporary camp one mile northwest of the town.

Soon after getting settled I visited an uncle who lived in West Enterprise, and passed the time very pleasantly in his company, and that of his family. I often visited him during my stay at Enterprise, getting books and papers to read. . . .

We had quite an easy time of it at Enterprise, the term of our paroles not allowing us to do any camp duty, such as drilling and kindred work. About the 15th of September, we moved to a place South of West Enterprise, about one mile, and went into permanent camp. Feeling pretty sure that this would be our winter quarter, we at once commenced preparing for it by the erection of shanties, these were built of pine poles, with stick and dirt chimneys, and though not elegant, were comfortable. . . .

In view of the almost mutinous condition of the camp at Enterprise, President Davis came to that place sometime in November 1863, and also made a long and exhaustive speech on the subject of paroles. He was received with some degree of enthusiasm by some of the troops, but I remember that several times during his speech he was hissed by part of the audience. He failed to allay the dissatisfaction, and also my idea of the mistake made by the public men of the Confederacy. It seems that public men are sometimes totally blind to the best interest of their country, and cannot see the evidence all around them that their course is wrong. As I have already showed this was notably the case with the agents o the Confederate government. . . . .
(FYI, some units held at Enterprise were exchanged and made it to the Army of Tennessee in time to participate in the Battles of Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge. But not the 36 Mississippi Regiment.)
Nothing definite was known until about the 1st of January 1864, at which time we were officially informed that we had been exchanged by proper authority, and that we would be armed and return to duty as soon as possible. Two or three days afterward promulgation of this order, we were armed with Austrian rifles, and at once went on duty, such as drilling ground duty & etc. It soon became known that we had not been fully exchanged, according to the terms of the cartel existing between the Confederate Government and the United States Government. There was great excitement in camp when this fact leaked out, and a great many of the soldiers openly asserted that such a course was a violation of all the usages of citizen warfare, and that the government had no shadow of right to so declare prisoners exchanged.
(The uproar caused great confusion and General Polk was called to come address them. Their brigade commander, General Mackall, was replaced by General Sharp of Louisiana.)

Everything was quiet until morning, when at an early hour the whole brigade turned out to hear General Polk. . . . General Polk was a fluent speaker being as is generally known, an Episcopal Bishop, and accustomed to public speaking. . . . . Towards the close of his address, warming up to the subject, he declared, with emphasis that there was one thing he did know---that the Confederate Government had declared us exchanged, ordered us to be armed and returned to duty, and that every good soldier would, without further question, obey the order. In conclusion he endeavored to convince the soldiers that the consequences would not be on their heads, but would rest on the government at Richmond, should it occur that we had not been exchanged. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

At 7pm on the 11th day of February 1864, we left Enterprise per M&O Railroad for Mobile, accompanied by Baldwin’s Brigade, and a company of Artillery, and the next morning at an early hour, reached the city.

I googled this diary and found a few quotes from it.
Here is a brief excerpt entitled "The Death of a Soldier": http://www.nchgs.org/html/death_of_a_soldier.html

Last edited:
July 24, 1862. William Stilwell, 53rd Georgia Volunteers (CSA), writes to his wife from camp in Virginia. He speaks of sickness in the regiment and his hope that the war may end soon.

“… have been sick for two days and not able for duty but am better, I think, this morning. I hope I will be well in a few days again. We are still east of Richmond and no sign of a fight. I am induced to believe that the war will not last much longer though it may. I would be very glad it wouldn’t, you may be sure, though I am seeing a very easy time myself. I have been to the regiment every day since I left it and am here now. It makes me feel bad to go to it and see so many of the boys sick and dying. There is nearly one third of the regiment sick and a good many have died. The principal sickness is measles and flux or diarrhea which goes very hard with them. …”

(Pictured: William Ross Stilwell)

Stilwell, William Ross, and Mollie Stilwell. The Stilwell Letters: A Georgian in Longstreet's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. Ed. Ronald H. Moseley. Macon: University, 2002.
Expired Image Removed

The letters which appear below are part of a set of letters written by or on the behalf Capt. John A. Ritter during his service in the 49th Indiana Volunteers in the Civil War. The letters on this page cover the period from September 1862 to September 1863. The letters were transcribed from the original letters or copies of the original letters in the possession of descendents of Capt. John A. Ritter. The letters appear exactly as written. No effort was made to correct apparent misspelled words. Many of these apparent errors may be the result of differences between modern styles of handwriting and styles in use during the 19th century. Blanks were inserted where words or phrases were totally illegible and underlining was used for words or phrases for which the correct interpretation was questionable.

October 1861 to December 1861
http://gwillritter.tripod.com/jarletters1.htm
January 1862 to August 1862
http://gwillritter.tripod.com/jarletters2.htm
September 1862 to September 1863
http://gwillritter.tripod.com/jarletters3.htm

Thank you for thread. Do you have any diaries that stick out to you on that you personally like that you could recommend. I have read about seven Re: diaries so far company H. I like the best and memoirs from the gray ghost. Thank you again

Back