Lincoln Ami's SOA Lincoln Quote of the Day

" Passion has helped us; but can do so no more. It will in future be our enemy. Reason, cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason, must furnish all the materials for our future support and defence.”– Temperance Address, February 22, 1842

I am exceedingly anxious that this Union, the Constitution, and the liberties of the people shall be perpetuated in accordance with the original idea for which that struggle was made, and I shall be most happy indeed if I shall be an humble instrument in the hands of the Almighty, and of this, his almost chosen people, for perpetuating the object of that great struggle.
--February 21, 1861 Speech to the New Jersey Senate

This is essentially a People's contest. On the side of the Union, it is a struggle for maintaining in the world, that form, and substance of government, whose leading object is, to elevate the condition of men -- to lift artificial weights from all shoulders -- to clear the paths of laudable pursuit for all -- to afford all, an unfettered start, and a fair chance, in the race of life.
--July 4, 1861 Message to Congress

" Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.”– Reply to New York Workingmen’s Democratic Republican Association,

" When the conduct of men is designed to be influenced, persuasion, kind, unassuming persuasion, should ever be adopted. It is an old and a true maxim, that a ‘drop of honey catches more flies than a gallon of gall.'”– Temperance Address, February 22, 1842

" Yield larger things to which you can show no more than equal right; and yield lesser ones, though clearly your own. Better give your path to a dog, than be bitten by him in contesting for the right. Even killing the dog would not cure the bite.”– Letter to James M. Cutts, Jr., October 26, 1863

1923 $5 US Silver Certificate.JPG
"The best way to predict the future is to create it"

A. Lincoln

" It is not merely for to-day, but for all time to come that we should perpetuate for our children’s children this great and free government, which we have enjoyed all our lives.”– Speech to the One Hundred Sixty-sixth Ohio Regiment, August 22, 1864

" I happen temporarily to occupy this big White House. I am a living witness that any one of your children may look to come here as my father’s child has.”– Speech to One Hundred Sixty-sixth Ohio Regiment, August 22, 1864

" To give the victory to the right, not bloody bullets, but peaceful ballots only are necessary. Thanks to our good old Constitution, and organization under it, these alone are necessary.”– Notes for speeches, circa October 1, 1858

" Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world?”– First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861

" We can succeed only by concert. It is not ‘can any of us imagine better?’ but ‘Can we all do better?'”
– Annual Message to Congress, December 1, 1862

" Let every American, every lover of liberty, every well wisher to his posterity, swear by the blood of the Revolution, never to violate in the least particular, the laws of the country; and never to tolerate their violation by others.”– Lyceum Address, January 27, 1838

" I made a point of honor and conscience in all things to stick to my word, especially if others had been inducted to act upon it.”– Letter to Mrs. Eliza Browning, April 1, 1838

" I would like to speak in terms of praise due to the many brave officers and soldiers who have fought in the cause of the war.”– Response to a Serenade , July 7, 1863

Back