Lincoln Lincoln And Generals, Antietam- Which Generals?

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Pretty famous photo although not as well known as the uncomfortable set featuring only Lincoln and McClellan- one with Pinkerton thrown in almost for comic relief. If anyone looked like the criminal he was supposed to be catching.... I'd pick Pinkerton out of a line-up in 2015. I think I have some pegged?

3 Union generals gave their lives to the horrific battle at Antietam, Maj. Gen. Joseph K. F. Mansfield led his men through the East Woods towards the Cornfield in support of I Corps already in action. Wounded in the chest he died the next day.

Maj. Gen. Israel B. Richardson commanded a division in the II Corps that attacked the Sunken Road. Wounded by artillery while trying to bring up more guns, MGen Richardson died on November 3, 1862.

Brig. Gen. Isaac P. Rodman led his men in the final assault, only to be turned back by the timely arrival of A.P. Hill and his men. Mortally wounded, this Quaker General would die on September 30, 1862.

Pretty sure these men are coincidently next to each other, beginning Richardson 3rd from left of Lincoln excluding the short guy, I mean McClellan. Then Rodman, then Mansfield? Is the tall, bear-like gentleman far left Williams? Oh, and is McLerland the anti social fellow far right?

lincoln and generals.JPG

The pic is also featured at antietam.aotw.org where they give the following identifications (left to right):

1. Col. Delos B. Sacket, I.G.

2. Capt. George Monteith.

3. Lt. Col. Nelson B. Sweitzer.

4. Gen. George W. Morell.

5. Col. Alexander S. Webb, Chief of Staff, 5th Corps.

6. Gen. George B. McClellan.

7. Scout Adams.

8. Dr. Jonathan Letterman, Army Medical Director.

9. Unknown.* - said it might be Joseph Avey (or Eavey), the farmer who's house is be in the background

10. President Lincoln.

11. Gen. Henry J. Hunt.

12. Gen. Fitz-John Porter.

13. Unknown.

14. Col. Frederick T. Locke, A.A.G.

15. Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys.

16. Col. George A. Batchelder, Ordnance Officer, 1st Div., 5th Corps. **- OR Capt. George A. Custer (rank insignia matches Capt.)

Someone correct me if i am wrong but Lincoln visited the army at Antietam after the battle (October?), so I think it would be difficult to get a dead man in the picture then.

I am certainly impressed with your knowledge of these photos. And you're right pinky 10 always did look like he belonged in jail.

Back