Lee Lee's Greatest Battlefield Achievement?

Lee's Greatest Battlefield Achievement?

• Seven Days

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Second Manassas

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Sharpsburg

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Fredericksburg

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Chancellorsville

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Wilderness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spotsylvania

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cold Harbor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sharpsburg was fought very much under Lee's personal command. He was everywhere on the field and, in a departure from his usual practice, asserted tactical control of the fight. No doubt that was the origin of his comment. The stalemate there against very long odds was a tribute to Lee's prowess as a tactician and leader.

Also, McClellan's timidity had a lot to do with it.

I didn't vote for the Seven Days, but considered it. That was the campaign that saved Richmond and made Lee's reputation. I realize that McClellan's flaws had a lot to do with it, but I'll bet Lee knew about those and took full advantage of them!

As I've said in other threads, I think Second Manassas represents Lee's Army of Northern Virginia at its height. It shows off Lee's strategic daring-ness and the skills and strengths of his three main subordinates. It was not marred by tactical miscues (Seven Days), or extreme losses (Chancellorsville) and was represented his greatest chance of destroying a Federal army in the field (unlike Fredericksburg or the defensive victories of 1864).

Would the disengagement from Gettysburg and subsequent return to Virginia by the Army of Northern Virginia be a worthy candidate for Lee's greatest battlefield achievement? Maneuvering on sodden roads, with diminished resources, while repelling enemy probes, and constructing defensive works that would have been costly to assail seem to be a significant feat. The strategic value of the accomplishment was the continued deployment of the Army of Northern Virginia for an additional 21 months during which time the possibilities for a negotiated settlement were still alive.

I also picked the Seven Days as it seemed to represent such a shift in momentum in the war. This started to boost Confederate morale significantly, unravel the McClellan mystique, and bring Lee on as a major player. I agree that there was sloppy tactical and staff work on both sides, but strategically was crucial, IMHO.

I don't believe the 7 days was his best, but where it was very important is it was a testing ground for his subordinates and gave Lee a chance to weed out commanders he knew he couldn't work with. And that turnover in 2 or 3 division commands pays off handsomely at the next 3 or 4 major campaigns.

I picked Second Manassas because it was a brilliant offensive campaign which contained elements (flanking movements, division of forces) that Lee would use successfully in later battles and campaigns. Although Lee was not able to destroy the federal Army of Virginia, Lee managed to thwart that army as a threat to northern Virginia. Moreover, Second Manassas represents Lee's greatest achievement because in future battles, such as Chancellorsville and the Wilderness, Lee was reacting to federal offensive moves, whereas in Second Manassas, Lee moved the seat of war miles away from Richmond and set the stage for his advance into Maryland.

Interestingly, Lee thought that Sharpsburg was his finest battle.

An in-depth and impartial study of his command decisions on September 17 1862, and how he handled every aspect of his army on that field will, I believe, lead most open-minded students of the war to agree with what the Confederate commanding general himself held to be true.
Henry Kyd Douglas made a similar comment in his book on his service with Jackson.

What, in your opinion, was Robert E. Lee's greatest battlefield achievement?

1. Seven Days
2. Second Manassas
3. Sharpsburg
4. Fredericksburg
5. Chancellorsville
6. Wilderness
7. Spotsylvania
8. Cold Harbor Why not Fredericksburg as a top selection ? This is the battle that was the worse defeat for the Army of the Potomac and could have lead to the army's destruction. This is the battle that Longstreet tried to warn Lee of at Gettysburg

Freder
What, in your opinion, was Robert E. Lee's greatest battlefield achievement?

1. Seven Days
2. Second Manassas
3. Sharpsburg
4. Fredericksburg
5. Chancellorsville
6. Wilderness
7. Spotsylvania
8. Cold Harbor
Fredericksburg was the worse defeat for the Union army and should have led to its destruction.This is the battle that Longstreet reminded Lee of at Gettysburg .So why is it not in the top position?

Manassas for many reason, but Chancellorsville, a close second. I think Lee had a rage about Pope, and was determined to defeat him. He just didn't like him.

Fredericksburg was the worse defeat for the Union army and should have led to its destruction.This is the battle that Longstreet reminded Lee of at Gettysburg .So why is it not in the top position?

Because it was easy. Nobody gets credit for knocking out a ninety-eight pound weakling.

Back