Lee's Gettysburg HQ museum - a charming surprise

One last note: if you continue west on rt. 30, you'll eentually see the little monument that notes where the first shot of the battle occurred. There is no pulloff to park.

Welcome from Iowa. In so many trips to Gettysburg I have never been to that museum. I went to the Seminary Ridge Museum during the 150th and loved that. It was a great tribute the the community and to the battle.

The marker.

Expired Image Removed

The house.

4093124607_0106380e93.jpg

It's about a mile and a half, give or take, from McPherson's Ridge out of town. Biketdf was right--no pull off, but it is NPS land. Look for Knoxlyn Road on the left; the house sits opposite that.

The marker.

Expired Image Removed

The house.

4093124607_0106380e93.jpg

It's about a mile and a half, give or take, from McPherson's Ridge out of town. Biketdf was right--no pull off, but it is NPS land. Look for Knoxlyn Road on the left; the house sits opposite that.

Turn left on Knoxlyn Road [when heading west on Rte 30]. There is a small paved parking spot off the road to the left. It's only big enough for one car. You can park there and walk over to the First Shot marker.

Belated welcome from Pennsylvania. There are more changes coming to Lee's Headquarters and environs. Acquired by Civil War Trust, who plans to make the changes in early 2015, includes removing non-historic buildings, such as the hotel and restaurant. The stone house Mrs. Thompson called home is slated to be restored to period appearance. The Trust intends to place a conservation easement on the property.

Lee's HQ is an old museum that was owned for a long time by the Larson family who also owned the restaurant and adjacent motel. It's always been free and is a gem hidden in plain sight. They used to have a bayonet converted into a sickle. The biblical imagery of that appeals to me.

Lee's HQ is an old museum that was owned for a long time by the Larson family who also owned the restaurant and adjacent motel. It's always been free and is a gem hidden in plain sight. They used to have a bayonet converted into a sickle. The biblical imagery of that appeals to me.
7th,
Agree it is a gem hidden in plain sight! Nice displays. Much to see in a relatively small space. Hope the new acquisition does not change the positive aspects.

Back