1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Learn The Address

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by unionblue, Nov 12, 2013.

1. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l

To All,

To celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address, documentarian Ken Burns, along with numerous partners, has launched a national effort to encourage everyone in America to video record themselves reading or reciting the speech. The collection of recordings housed on this site will continue to grow as more and more people are inspired by the power of history and take the challenge to LEARN THE ADDRESS.

http://www.learntheaddress.org

Enjoy,
    Unionblue

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. jay gale

jay gale First Sergeant

love it, hope I regain my cold ravaged voice in time to do that......
    chellers and unionblue like this.
  4. Littlestown

Littlestown 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Tomorrow, the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address, Burns and a camera crew will be at the battlefield site, helping people upload their recordings of Lincoln's speech and hoping they remember its lessons.

Ken Burns views Gettysburg with boys from the Greenwood School.(Photo: Aria Carter)
    burns.jpg
    "The project is being produced in conjunction with PBS; it will run through April 15, 2014, when Burns' 90-minute documentary The Address will air on PBS stations nationwide.

Burns' forthcoming film combines a history of the speech with the story of the Greenwood School in Putney, Vt., where students ages 11 to 17 are required to memorize and recite Lincoln's great work.

The students at Greenwood have learning challenges – dyslexia, attention deficit disorder and the like – but the Gettysburg Address is a requirement. "It's a minefield for these boys," Burns said, "and yet they do it.""

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ddress-film-greenwood-school-vermont/3630279/
    unionblue and brass napoleon like this.
  5. brass napoleon

brass napoleon Major Retired Moderator

I learned it as a kid. Many phrases still stick with me. It would only take a little effort to relearn it at this point. I'll see what I can do.
    Littlestown likes this.
  6. Littlestown

Littlestown 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Several of my teachers from grade school through high school required that we learn to recite it. I just tested my memory and discovered that I need to brush up on it a little.
  7. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Me too. I flubbed about 1/3 of the way through.
  8. M E Wolf

M E Wolf Brigadier General Moderator

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)