Kentucky Provost Marshall Papers

Can anyone tell me if there is a searchable index to the Kentucky Provost Marshal's Papers?
Thank you

Charles Orear
Off hand if you could contact an author who recently wrote a book about the COIN war in Kentucky. T.J.Stiles comes to mind. Perhaps a Kentucky University History Department might know. That is a good question since the COIN war in Kentucky is not as well known as the one in Missouri.
Leftyhunter

Off hand if you could contact an author who recently wrote a book about the COIN war in Kentucky. T.J.Stiles comes to mind. Perhaps a Kentucky University History Department might know. That is a good question since the COIN war in Kentucky is not as well known as the one in Missouri.
Leftyhunter
Thanks, , I am trying to dig into the history of the war in Eastern/Southeast Kentucky. I had ancestors living and fighting there. I know a lot about the war in Missouri and very little about it there.

Thanks, , I am trying to dig into the history of the war in Eastern/Southeast Kentucky. I had ancestors living and fighting there. I know a lot about the war in Missouri and very little about it there.
Your welcome for what little I know. In my thread "Union vs Confederate Guerrillas " I have a quote where Unionist guerrillas from Kentucky together with Unionist guerrillas from Tennessee attacked retreating Confederate soldier's who invaded Kentucky. Per the book "the South vs the South by Steven Freeling fifty thousand men from Kentucky fought for the Union vs twenty five thousand who fought for the Confederacy. I don't have estimates of Confederate Guerrillas vs Union militia. Per Stiles book "Jesse James the last Rebel of the Civil War " by 1864 the Union forces had the COIN war well in hand. The governor of Kentucky employed guerrilla hunters the most famous was Edwin Terril. Terril originally fought for the Confederacy but had a royal change of mind. A real Boy Scout . Terril mortality wounded Quantrill. Their may very well be some very good scholarly books on the Kentucky COIN war I am just not familiar with them.
My only first hand experience with the state of Kentucky was bow hunting in Harlan County.
Leftyhunter

Back