"Kentucky Fare A Recipe Book of Some of Kentucky's Mouth Watering Specialties"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This cookbook on "Kentucky Fare" is one of my favorites. This was one my Mom had. It is by Margaret Bridwell and was published in 1953. Mrs.. Bridwell states it not a cookbook per se but "is an attempt to put into one package some of the particular dishes which have inspired, sustained and embellished Kentucky's justly acquired fame as the home of hospitality and good food." She hoped it would give the reader "a mouth-watering desire to try Kentucky fare and convince the reader that Kentucky fares well!"

Some of the mouth-watering fare are: Corn Pones, Spoon Bread, Crackling Bread, Corn Pudding, Chicken Fried Kentucky Style, Cream Gravy,Burgoo, Fried Green Tomatoes, Barbecue Sauce, Strawberry Shortcake, Kentucky Country ham. Beaten Biscuits, Navy Bean Soup, Mint Julep, Green Apple Pie, Hickory Nut Cake, Woodford Pudding with Hard Sauce, Benedictine Sandwich Spread, Cream Candy, Bourbon Balls, Kentucky Sausage, Rolled Oysters, Louisville Style, and Eggnog.

These were all recipes that my Granny and her family made. They are some of the most delicious fare you can have. These recipes and dishes distinguish Kentucky from all other states. If you can, give them a try.

Back