1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Just decided: Heading to Norfolk, Spring 2014

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by Mark F. Jenkins, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Mark F. Jenkins

Mark F. Jenkins Major Forum Host

I was just moping about not having been to a number of places for years, and something inside me just sort of went "snap" and I said to myself, "That's it! Enough saying I ought to go back to such and such a place; time to do it!"

So, I aim to start with the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area, probably around the May time-frame.

Target list, in no special order:

Mariner's Museum, Newport News
    Fort Monroe
    "The Ferry" Plantation, Virginia Beach
    Nauticus/Hampton Roads Naval Museum
    USS Wisconsin
    Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum

To be continued and elaborated, I'm sure. Some of those I've been to before, some I haven't.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. AndyHall

AndyHall Major

Pictures, or it never happened.

chellers, TinCan and Nathanb1 like this.
  4. Mark F. Jenkins

Mark F. Jenkins Major Forum Host

I'd need a TARDIS to show you pictures at this point. I just thought of it!

5. Eric Wittenberg

Eric Wittenberg First Sergeant

Although slightly off-topic, be sure to visit Fort Story in Virginia Beach. There are two lighthouses there, and there is interpretation for the Rev War Battle of the Capes that led to Cornwallis being trapped at Yorktown. You being a naval guy, I would think that would be a must-see.

Mark F. Jenkins likes this.
  6. theoldman

theoldman Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

I have spent some time at Fort Story a long time ago helping the Army test an air cushioned vehicle for landing supplies in places with shallow waters. It is a very nice place in the summer. Cornwallis shipped out of Wilmington to Yorktown area. He finished his Carolina Tour at Wilmington. He last battle in Carolina was at Moores Creek, just west of Wilmington. I think, but am not 100% sure, the Moores Creek battle was the first time artillery was fired over the heads of friendly troops. Sounds like you have a great trip planned, Mark.

7. Eric Wittenberg

Nope. Moore's Creek was in 1775. I think you're confusing it with Guilford Court House, which was, indeed, Cornwallis' final engagement in North Carolina.

Moore's Creek did not involve Cornwallis at all.

8. theoldman

theoldman Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

You are absolutely correct. Too many battles, names, places floating around the old hard drive.
    Thank you for the correction.

9. Eric Wittenberg

No worries. We all have those senior moments. The issue is how far apart they come. :smile:

chellers and theoldman like this.
  10. Caswell Ranger

Caswell Ranger Private

Odd thing, I have an ancestor who was in the Guilford militia in the War of Independence, but there is no record of the Guilford militia participating in the Battle of Guilford Court House, except the Captain. But NC militia were heavily involved in the Battle. Go Figure.

OP, the War Museum is worth a visit, as is Williamsburg.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)