June 3, National Egg Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There is nothing like eggs. I always enjoy them fixed so many ways. However, I guess my favorite is a fried eggs. I like mine "Over Medium". In U.S. fried eggs are very popular and are done several ways. They can be "Sunny Side Up", "Over Easy or Over Light", "Over Medium", "Over Well" and "Over Hard". It depends on one's taste.

Another popular way to fix fried eggs is "Eggs in A Basket". This dish is made by cutting a circle out of a slice of bread. The bread is fried until brown on one side and then flipped and an egg or two is broken in the center and seasoned, usually salt and pepper but one can add their favorite herbs. The pan is covered and the egg is cooked until white is just set..

The cutout center of the bread is often fried as well and served on top of the finished egg.

This is a delicious dish to have for breakfast.

Hope many of you will add your favorite way to have eggs or a favorite recipe with eggs.

We here use to eat our eggs at breakfast boiled and spoon them up, either when hard boiled or (what I like more) when the yolk is still runny. To that purpose we use so called "Eierbecher". Look here:

Foto source: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://ws2-media1.tchibo-content.de/newmedia/art_img/e2/54/b6f4120e2613/MAIN-IMPORTED/9e7cf1a5806a922a/6-Eierbecher.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tchibo.de/6-eierbecher-p200022226.html&h=471&w=553&tbnid=ayWKpYwGHV9x2M:&zoom=1&docid=6m9OW4xfdJZd_M&ei=d-tuVbWEBYi9swHx7oHoAg&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=263&page=5&start=120&ndsp=31&ved=0CFYQrQMwGzhk

Interestingly we do eat eggs this way for breakfast only. At all other occasions we eat them like you do, fried: scrambled, poached ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget Egg Salad! Great on toast for a quick lunch or supper with a bowl of soup!!! Egg salad has many variations depending upon personal taste. Bacon, chopped ham, vegetables, crumbled browned sausage are a few items that may be selected to add into the mix. I'm sure there are dozens more!!!

Those of you who have spent some time here in Germany near Frankfurt / Rhine-Main-Airbase may recall a very popular regional egg dish, Eggs in green (=herb) sauce. Frankfurt is famous for it. I have found a recipe in English:

Eier In Grüner Sosse (Eggs In Green Sauce)
(serves 4)

2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 cup Sour Cream -- *
1 Lemon; Med -- Juiced
9 Eggs; Large -- Hard Cooked
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1 1/2 cup Fresh Herbs -- Chopped **
* You can use part yogurt if so desired.
** Any kind of fresh herbs such as dill, chives, parsley, tarragon, or
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blend mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon juice. Finely chop 1 hard-cooked egg and stir
into mayonnaise mixture. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
Thoroughly rinse herbs, pat dry, and chop. Blend with the sauce. Slice rest of
the hard-cooked eggs in half and arrange in the sauce and serve.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/german/00/rec0080.html

There is nothing like eggs. I always enjoy them fixed so many ways. However, I guess my favorite is a fried eggs. I like mine "Over Medium". In U.S. fried eggs are very popular and are done several ways. They can be "Sunny Side Up", "Over Easy or Over Light", "Over Medium", "Over Well" and "Over Hard". It depends on one's taste.

Another popular way to fix fried eggs is "Eggs in A Basket". This dish is made by cutting a circle out of a slice of bread. The bread is fried until brown on one side and then flipped and an egg or two is broken in the center and seasoned, usually salt and pepper but one can add their favorite herbs. The pan is covered and the egg is cooked until white is just set..

The cutout center of the bread is often fried as well and served on top of the finished egg.

Hope many of you will add your favorite way to have eggs or a favorite recipe with eggs.
We call eggs like that "Gashouse Eggs.".

My grandpa still wants his egg to be boiled exactly 4 minutes and 15 seconds, and then brought to him without cooling. He cuts his eggs "hat" off with knife, and eats both parts with teaspoon. I remember when I once started to crack the eggs hat with teaspoon, you know, piece by piece to strip it from its cover, and got annoyed look from both grandparents: "Eero, we dont want to listen that cracking sound, just cut it with your knife, thats why its set for you on the table"

One nice thing to make fried egg is to do it in onion ring.

Something that's really good are Chinese egg custard tarts! Well, really egg custard tarts in general.

Here's a recipe.

Something that's really good are Chinese egg custard tarts! Well, really egg custard tarts in general.

Here's a recipe.

Directions
  1. Direction to make crust.
  2. Mix sugar, butter and flour.
  3. Then add egg and vanilla extract.
  4. Mix well.
  5. Texture of dough should be slightly moist, not dry (add margarine if too dry), and not oily (add flour if too oily).
  6. Pull dough and make a ball shape to about 1.
  7. 5 inch diameter, then press into tart mould, start from the center then push up until it goes higher than the side, then use two fingers to shape the edge to a A shape.
  8. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted.
  9. Cool down to room temperature.
  10. Add eggs, vanilla extract and evaporated milk.
  11. Filter the mixture through the strainer.
  12. Pour into the tart crust.
  13. Preheat oven for 10 minutes.
  14. Bake at 230 degrees (C) for 15-20minutes until golden brown and the filling raise up a little bit.
http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-style-egg-custard-tarts-42189

View attachment 69772
We get them for desert every other week when we go for dim sum.yummmmmmmy.

Those of you who have spent some time here in Germany near Frankfurt / Rhine-Main-Airbase may recall a very popular regional egg dish, Eggs in green (=herb) sauce. Frankfurt is famous for it. I have found a recipe in English:

Eier In Grüner Sosse (Eggs In Green Sauce)
(serves 4)

2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 cup Sour Cream -- *
1 Lemon; Med -- Juiced
9 Eggs; Large -- Hard Cooked
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1 1/2 cup Fresh Herbs -- Chopped **
* You can use part yogurt if so desired.
** Any kind of fresh herbs such as dill, chives, parsley, tarragon, or
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blend mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon juice. Finely chop 1 hard-cooked egg and stir
into mayonnaise mixture. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
Thoroughly rinse herbs, pat dry, and chop. Blend with the sauce. Slice rest of
the hard-cooked eggs in half and arrange in the sauce and serve.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/german/00/rec0080.html
Taragon looks like a good choice.

Nanny always had hers "over light". The "light" part always said with her wonderful, delicate Georgia drawl.

The list of egg recipes is endless. I still like them over easy with country ham, grits, toast and good coffee. Maybe a glass of V-8 on the side.

Back