Chamberlain Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's House, Statue and Grave at Brunswick, Maine

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* The Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain House.

IMG_20160915_155509750.jpg

* Federal Major General Chamberlain's Statue on the campus of Bowdoin College.

IMG_20160915_154903865.jpg

* Chamberlain's Grave Site at Pine Grove Cemetery.

IMG_20160915_161132995.jpg

* The Chamberlain Family Plot.

IMG_20160915_224753.jpg

* I had the honor today of placing an American flag and a Maine flag on the grave of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain. He also received a hardy United States Marine Corps hand salute. Semper Fi.....

IMG_20160915_161939032.jpg

Last edited:
* Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain was born on September 8th, 1828 in Brewer, Maine (near Bangor).

800px-Joshua_Chamberlain_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

* Chamberlain Freedom Park in Brewer, Maine resembles the rocky ridges of Little Round Top at the Gettysburg National Military Park.

IMG_20160918_185950.jpg

* Chamberlain Statue.

IMG_20160918_185727.jpg

* The 20th Maine Monument.

IMG_20160918_190003.jpg

* Chamberlain Freedom Park Marker.

IMG_20160918_190037.jpg

The Twentieth Maine Monument looks very much like their monument at Gettysburg.

The Chamberlain Freedom Park in Brewer, Maine is designed to resemble the rocky ridges of Little Round Top. This park is simplistic but sheer genius to view in person.

Chamberlain's house (birthplace) is located right down the street from the park.

I was 30 miles away from Brewer, Maine when I found out about the location of the residence. Crudball.....

Bill

There's a very nice tribute to Chamberlain at the website To the Limits of the Soul's Ideal. They have a page about his birthplace and childhood home, both in Brewer. I've been through Brewer often enough, but never knew about these. I'll have to stop by the next trip.
JLCbirthhomeBrewer1.JPG
jlcchildhoodhse.jpg

Birthplace (1818) Childhood home (1835)​

For that matter, Chamberlain Freedom Park wasn't there last time I visited. There's a nice "tour" of the park here: http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/cham...th-licensed-battlefield-guide-christina-moon/
FreedomPark01261209.jpg
Next summer, for sure.

Last edited:
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain was born on this day in 1828. He was an American college professor from the State of Maine, who volunteered during the American Civil War to join the Federal Army. Although having no earlier education in military strategies, he became a highly respected and decorated Federal officer, reaching the rank of brigadier general (and brevet major general). For his gallantry at the Battle of Gettysburg, he was awarded the Medal of Honor. He was given the honor of commanding the Federal troops at the surrender ceremony for the infantry of Confederate General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House, Virginia. After the war, he entered politics as a Republican and served four one-year terms of office as the 32nd Governor of Maine. He served on the faculty, and as president, of his alma mater, Bowdoin College.

Back