John Stephenson/Stevenson

tdstepen

Corporal
I am trying to find if an ancestor served in the Civil War. In 1850,John Stephenson was living in Giles County,TN. He was age 16. He was born in Limestone County,Alabama and his father was living in Huntsville, Madison County,Alabama. If anyone has information on a John Stephenson/Stevenson who served in Confederate units from those counties,I would greatly appreciated it.​

This is the John Stephenson I am looking for

1850 US Census for District 9, Giles, TN
Samuel Stephenson, 53, 1797, SC
Mary Stephenson, 53, 1797, SC
Mary Stephenson, daughter, 18, AL
John Stephenson, son, 16, AL
Silvester B Stephenson, son, 13, AL
My George Alexander Stephenson,age 26,born Alabama was living in the home of Carson P. Reed.
Mary Stephenson,18, married James Bluford Goats.

This is the Bible page,as I call it, of Sylvester Brown Stephenson That is Sylvester Brown Stephenson in the picture to the left. He joined Ward's Artillery in Huntsville Alabama. The the right hand page is hard to read. If someone with good eyes could help me and interpret the letters, I would greatly appreciated.
The name at the bottom of S.B. Bible is A. Saml Stephenson born December 17, 1828, I believe. Would like the opinion of others on this name. Sylvester Brown Stephenson's Father was Samuel Stephenson,so I think Sylvester would have had a brother named Samuel.
The next name up I know is James Harvey Stephenson born November 11,1826. He fought with Co.K,First Tennessee Cavalry.
The third from the bottom looks to be a fancy "T". Would like an opinion on this letter. The next letter is J. This could be the John Stephenson I am looking for, but I interpret the date to July 24, 1824. John Stephenson was 16 years old on the 1850 census of Giles. It might be Sylvester meant 1834 and wrote 1824.
The 4th from the bottom is my George Alexander Stephenson b May 24,1822,
Sylvester Brown married Mary Holt daughter of Edmund Holt of Giles Co,TN, in Limestone Co,Al in 1857 Not mentioned on the Holt page is Mary Holt Stephenson's brother who served with the 32nd Tennessee.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• SB Bible.jpg
    SB Bible.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 120
I wonder if this could be my John Stephenson whose information is missing from my tree. A John Stephenson served in the 9th Regiment, Alabama Cavalry(Malone's) Civil War Soldiers and Sailors data base.
9th Regiment, Alabama Cavalry (Malone's)
Overview:
9th Cavalry Regiment [also called 7th Regiment] was organized near Tullahoma, Tennessee, in May, 1863, by consolidating the 14th Alabama Partisan Rangers and the 2nd (19th) Alabama Cavalry Battalion. The officers and men were from the counties of Limestone, De Kalb, Madison, Morgan, Lauderdale, Cherokee, and Lawrence. Assigned to General J.T. Morgan's and W.W. Allen's Brigade, it participated in the Battles of Chickamauga and Shelbyville, was with Longstreet in East Tennessee, and fought in various conflicts around Atlanta. Later it was active in the defense of Savannah and the campaign of the Carolinas. The regiment surrendered with the Army of Tennessee, about 100 strong. Colonel J.C. Malone, Jr., Lieutenant Colonel Zach. Thomason, and Major Eugene F. Falconnet were in command.
1850 US Census for District 9, Giles, TN
Samuel Stephenson, 53, 1797, SC
Mary Stephenson, 53, 1797, SC
Mary Stephenson, daughter, 18, AL
John Stephenson, son, 16, AL
Silvester B Stephenson, son, 13, AL
My George Alexander Stephenson,age 26,born Alabama was living in the home of Carson P. Reed.
Mary Stephenson,18, married James Bluford Goats.
John's brother,James Harvey Stephenson, is on the 1860 Census of Giles Co,TN.,age 31,born Alabama.
The 9th Regiment,Alabama Cavalry (Malone's) had recruits from Limestone County,Alabama.
John Stephenson's father,Samuel Stephenson, is on the 1820 census of Giles County,TN.
Limestone County,Alabama:
Samuel Stephenson 1830 census
Samuel Stephenson 1840 census
Giles County,Tennessee:
Samuel Stephenson 1850 census
Madison Co,Alabama:
Samuel Stephenson 1860 census

John's brother,Sylvester B. Stephenson served with Ward's Artillery from Madison Co,Al.
John's brother,James Harvey Stephenson, served with Co,K. (6th) 1st Tennessee Cavalry from Giles County,TN.
The names of Sylvester B. Stephenson,James Bluford Goats(brother-in law) and a Carson P. Reed appear on James Harvey Stephenson's Ellis County,Texas pension application in 1899.
The search goes on for John Stephenson.

Back