John McClain

Barrycdog

Major
This is my Great Grandfather. His daughter was Lucile Edith McClain Colbaugh my Grandmother. He was Lieutenant a the end of the war. He was a sheriff in Lafayette, Georgia and his picture is at the Rossville Masonic lodge. I don't have a copy.

John McClain- Private Company E 3rd Mounted Infantry Lillards, from Enlisted May 2nd 1861, Maryville under Captain McRamey for 1 year May 1 to December 311863 Present, June to August 1864 Present, Appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War, paroled at Vicksburg, Mississippi, according to terms of capitulation entered into by the commanding Generals of the United States and Confederate Forces July 4th, 1863,Captured Vicksburg, Mississippi July 4, 1863, J. McClain Lieutenant Company 3, 3rd Tennessee Cavalry appears on a receipt roll for clothing September 20th, 1864 signature John McClain,

Expired Image Removed

The history of Lillard's 3rd Mounted Infantry is quite confusing. I have a copy of "Tennesseans in the Civil War" and had to do some digging to find Lillard and his regiment.

On the NARA card under 3rd Lillard's Tennessee Mounted Infantry (from the files you posted) it has statement about the regiment.

Lillard_3Mtd-Regt.jpg

This statement says the mounted regiment was re-organized as early as May 1862 and merged into the 63rd Regiment Tennessee Infantry. The unit history cards in this file shows Lillard to be Newton J. Lillard.

I checked my reference book and there is no mention of the 3rd Mounted Infantry as merging with the 63 Tenn Regiment. I finally found Col. Newton J. Lillard in the staff for the 3rd (Vaughn's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment which is also known as 3rd Mounted Tennessee Regiment. That seems to indicate the above statement is not correct or not completely correct.

Next, a search for a John McLain, turned up a John McLain, age 21, enlisted in Company D, 19th Tennessee (Mounted) Regiment on Feb 18, 1862 --- which later was identified as 31st Infantry Regiment. He also appears on a list of Prisoners from Vicksburg. I don't know if this is the same person. If I knew what became of Lillard's 3rd Mounted Infantry, then I could make a connection between the two.

I interpret all this to mean that the Tennesseans enlisted in a mounted unit as that was a popular arm of service. But foot troops were needed so the unit was short-lived as a cavalry. Lillard's regiment was broken up and re-organized and it is possible some companies were sent to different units. As usual, these Tennessee cavalry/mounted units have a varied and confusing history.

Oh, I may have mis-typed it. In Fold3, the name in the Menu was listed as "McLain" in 3rd (Vaughn's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment, but when you pulled up the card, it was listed as McClain. I have seen that confusion before and sometimes it is an error and sometimes they corrected the spelling based upon other or later documents.

It seems that Lillar's 3 Mounted Regiment did not exist at the time of Vicksburg. So he may have transferred to another unit but documents were still recorded in the 3 Mounted Regt. That may be the case here. Many of the cavalry regiments changed names so the soldier quite often appears on the rolls of both.

John McClain- Private Company E 3rd Mounted Infantry Lillards, from Enlisted May 2nd 1861, Maryville under Captain McRamey for 1 year May 1 to December 31 1863 Present, June to August 1864 Present, Appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War, paroled at Vicksburg, Mississippi, according to terms of capitulation entered into by the commanding Generals of the United States and Confederate Forces July 4th, 1863,Captured Vicksburg, Mississippi July 4, 1863, J. McClain Lieutenant Company 3, 3rd Tennessee Cavalry appears on a receipt roll for clothing September 20th, 1864 signature John McClain,

Here is an Order of Battle for Vicksburg. It lists very few cavalry. I don't see any Tennessee Cavalry.

http://www.nps.gov/vick/historyculture/order-of-battle-confederate.htm

But it does list Lilliard's Regiment:

4th Brigade - Col. Alexander W. Reynolds

+ 3d Tennessee (Provisional Army), Col. Newton J. Lillard
+ 31st Tennessee, Col. William M. Bradford
+ 43d Tennessee, Col. James W. Gillespie
+ 59th Tennessee, Col. William L. Eaken
+ 3d Maryland Battery, Capt. Ferd. O. Claiborne (k), Capt. John B. Rowan

BTW, here is a unit that mentions Vaughn (mentioned in previous post) and his Tennesse units.

Vaughn's Brigade - Brig. Gen. John C. Vaughn
+ 60th Tennessee, Capt. J.W. Bachman
+ 61st Tennessee, Lt. Col. James G. Rose
+ 62d Tennessee, Col. John A. Rowan

So Lillard's regiment was still the 3d Tennesse Regiment but definitely not mounted. I had to track this down just for my peace of mind.

Gillespie was over other units as well.

Colbaugh s-Samuel Company D 43rd Regiment Tennessee Infantry (5th East Tennesee Volunteers Gillespies Regiment) Regiment mounted about December 1863 and served as mounted Infantry till paroled at Washington, Georgia in May 1865, Enlisted December 30th 1861 in Decatur, November to December 1862 Present, January to February 1862 Present, March to April 1862, present, May to June present, July to August Present, September to October Present, November to December 1862 present, January to February 1863, present, March to April 1863 present Detailed as pioneer but present on muster day, May to June 1863, July to August 1863 Absent, absent without leave, Appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War, paroled at Vicksburg, Mississippi, according to terms of capitulation entered into by the commanding Generals of the United States and Confederate Forces July 4th, 1863,Captured Vicksburg, Mississippi July 4, 1863, Vicksburg, Mississippi, July 9th A.D. 1863 to whom it may concern, know Ye That I Samuel Colbaugh a Corporal of Company D 43rd Regiment Tennessee Volunteers CSA, being a prisoner of war, in the hands of the United States forces, in virtue of the capitulation of the City of Vicksburg and its garrison Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton C.S.A Commanding, on the 4th Day of July, 1863 do in pursuance of the terms of said capitulation, give this my solemn parole under oath - That I will not take up arms against the Untied States, nor serve in any military, police or constabulary force in any fort, Garrison of field work, held by the Confederate States of America, against the United States of America, nor as guard of prisons, depots or stores, nor discharge any duties usually performed by Officers or Soldiers against the United States of America, Samuel Colbaugh, Sworn to and subscribed before me at Vicksburg, Mississippi this 9th Day of July 1863, John Fuller? 20th Regiment Ohio Volunteers, Captain and Paroling officer. Colbough John - Company D 43rd Regiment Tennessee Infantry (5th East Tennessee Volunteers Gillespie Regiment) Regiment mounted about December 1863 and served as mounted Infantry till paroled at Washington, Georgia in May 1865, Enlisted 1st November 1862 in Decatur Tennessee under Colonel James W. Gillespie for 12 months, November to December 1862, present, From January to February 1863 Present Bounty paid $50, March to April 1863 Present, May to June 1863, present,July to August 1863 Died in August 1863, Appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War in hospital, paroled at Vicksburg, Missippi, according to terms of capitulation entered into by the commanding Generals of the United States and Confederate Forces July 4th, 1863, Captured in Vicksburg, Missippi July 4th 1863, Appears on a List of Confederate Paroled sick and wounded Prisoners shipped from Vicksburg, Mississippi Jul 24th, 1863 to Mobile, Alabama Via New Orleans, not dated Vicksburg, Mississippi, July 15th A.D. 1863 to whom it may concern, know Ye That I John Colbaugh a private of Company D 43rd Regiment Tennessee Volunteers CSA, being a prisoner of war, in the hands of the United States forces, in virtue of the capitulation of the City of Vicksburg and its garrison Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton C.S.A Commanding, on the 4th Day of July, 1863 do in pursuance of the terms of said capitulation, give this my solemn parole under oath - That I will not take up arms against the Untied States, nor serve in any military, police or constabulary force in any fort, Garrison of field work, held by the Confederate States of America, against the United States of America, nor as guard of prisons, depots or stores, nor discharge any duties usually performed by Officers or Soldiers against the United States of America, until duly exchanged by the proper authorities John Colbaugh, Sworn to and subscribed before me at Vicksburg, Mississippi this 15th Day of July 1863, john C FNY? 20th Regiment Ohio Volunteers, Major and Paroling officer. Colbough Nathaniel - Company D 43rd Regiment Tennessee Infantry (5th East Tennesee Volunteers Gillespies egimment) Regiment mounted about December 1863 and served as mounted Infantry till paroled at Washington, Georgia in May 1865, Age 22 Year Private Captain A.W. Hodges Company Gillespies Regiment Volunteers Decatur Tennessee November 1st 1861 November to December 1861 Present, January to February 1862 present, March and April 1862 Present, May June 1862 Present, July August 1862 Present, Septembernd October 1862, November, December 1862 present, January February 1863 bounty paid $50, Present, March April 1863 present, May to June 1863 Killed in action. Colbough Robert - Private Corporal, Company D 43rd Regiment Tennessee Infantry (5th East Tennessee Volunteers Gillespies regiment) Regiment mounted about December 1863 and served as mounted Infantry till paroled at Washington, Georgia in May 1865, Private Captain A.W. Hodges Company Gillespies December 30th November 1st 1861 to December 1861 Present, January to February 1862 present, March and April 1862 Present, May June 1862 Present, Elected 4th Corporal 10 May 1862, July August 1862 Present, September and October 1862, November, December 1862 present, January February 1863 bounty paid $50, Present, March April 1863 present, May to June 1863 present, July August 1863, Present, Appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War, paroled at Vicksburg, Mississippi, according to terms of capitulation entered inot by the commanding Generals of the United States and Confederate Forces July 4th, 1863, Appears on a register of prisoners of War at Knoxville,Tennessee March 20th 1865 Captured at Carter Station, Tennessee sent to Chattanooga Tennessee April 12th, 1865, Appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War at Nashville, Tennessee, Captured by forces under Major General Thomas, commanding Department of the Cumberland and forwarded to Captain C.B. Pratt, Commissary of Prisoners, Louisville, Kentucky April 26th, 1865, Roll Dated Headquarters Department of the Cumberland, Office Provost Marshal General Nashville, Tennessee April 26, 1865, Captured Carter County, Tennessee March 28th 1865, Sent to Camp Chase April 25th, 1865, Listed as Albert, Name appears on a signature to an Oath of Allegiance to the United States, subscribed to and sworn at Camp Chase Ohio, June 10th, 1865, Place of residence Meigs County Tennessee Complexional Dark, hair black,Eyes Black,Height 5'9" Age 22 years, captured in Elizabethton, Tennessee March 30th, 1865, Vicksburg, Mississippi, July 9th A.D. 1863 to whom it may concern, know Ye That I Robert Colbaugh a Corporal of Company D 43rd Regiment Tennessee Volunteers CSA, being a prisoner of war, in the hands of the United States forces, in virtue of the capitulation of the City of Vicksburg and its garrison Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton C.S.A Commanding, on the 4th Day of July, 1863 do in pursuance of the terms of said capitulation, give this my solemn parole under oath - That I will not take up arms against the Untied States, nor serve in any military, police or constabulary force in any fort, Garrison of field work, held by the Confederate States of America, against the United States of America, nor as guard of prisons, depots or stores, nor discharge any duties usually performed by Officers or Soldiers against the United States of America, R John Colbaugh, Sworn to and subscribed before me at Vicksburg, Mississippi this 9th Day of July 1863, John Fuller? 20th Regiment Ohio Volunteers, Captain and Paroling officer. The 43rd Regiment Tennessee Infantry (5th East Tennessee Volunteers Gillespies Regiment) Regimen was organized December 14th, 1861 and re-organized May 10th, 1862 When the 36th Regiment Tennessee Infantry was disbanded, about June 23rd, 1862 some of the men were assigned to companies F, I, and K of this regiment, About December 1863, the regiment was mounted and served as mounted infantry until paroled at Washington, Georgia 1865, William Colbaugh - Age 23rd, Appears on a Company Muster Roll of the organization named above roll dated near Vances Tank Sullivan County East Tennessee Joined July 8th 1861 in Knoxville Private Company E, 63rd Regiment Tennessee Infantry appears on a company Muster roll of the organization named above from May to June 1863 present, enlisted in July of 1861 in Knoxville by Colonel Gillespie, This company formerly served as 91st) Company K, 3rd (billiards) Regiment Tennessee Mounted Infantry, The 63rd ( also known as the 74th and as Fains) Regiment Tennessee Infantry was formed July 30th, 1862, of companies which have been previously organized, many of the members of which had formerly served in other organizations. those from the 26th Regiment Tennessee Infantry were returned to that organization in October and November 1862, by order of General Bragg.An Act of the Legislature of Tennessee requires a Minute Roll of each company of Volunteers from the State in Confederate Service, to be returned to the Adjutant Generals Office, with a view of having the name of each Volunteer recorded ina well bound book, W.C. Whitthorne Adjutant General, State of Tennessee July to August 1863 Absent, Absent without leave, September and October 1863 Absent without leave, November to December 1863 Present, January to February 1864 Present, From February 29th to June 30th 1864, Killed in Action on May 16th, 1864 at Drury Bluff, William Colbaugh Company K 2nd Mounted Rifles Arkansas Private Age 18 Entered December 21, 1861 Travelling to place of rendezvous no. of miles 100 Valuation Horse $125 Horse equipment $15, December 31 1861 to July 28, 1862, Died June 1862 Confederate Citizen, Michael C Colbaugh P.O. Zollicoffer Sullivan County Paid 300 dollars $234, 30 bushels of corn in 1864, Samuel Colbaugh 400 Bales of Hay June 1st, 1864, William Colbaugh 300 lbs of oats,

Attachments

• Colbough J.jpg
    Colbough J.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Robert Colbaugh.jpg
    Robert Colbaugh.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 212
  • Nathaniel Colbaugh.jpg
    Nathaniel Colbaugh.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Wcolbaugh.jpg
    Wcolbaugh.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
This is my Great Grandfather. His daughter was Lucile Edith McClain Colbaugh my Grandmother. He was Lieutenant a the end of the war. He was a sheriff in Lafayette, Georgia and his picture is at the Rossville Masonic lodge. I don't have a copy.

John McClain- Private Company E 3rd Mounted Infantry Lillards, from Enlisted May 2nd 1861, Maryville under Captain McRamey for 1 year May 1 to December 311863 Present, June to August 1864 Present, Appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War, paroled at Vicksburg, Mississippi, according to terms of capitulation entered into by the commanding Generals of the United States and Confederate Forces July 4th, 1863,Captured Vicksburg, Mississippi July 4, 1863, J. McClain Lieutenant Company 3, 3rd Tennessee Cavalry appears on a receipt roll for clothing September 20th, 1864 signature John McClain,

Expired Image Removed
I wonder if this my 2nd great grand uncle. My 2nd great grandfather was Andrew J. McClain and this is what I have found so far.

Andrew McClain born March 1844.
Enlisted at Maryville, Tennessee May 2, 1861.
At age 17 Private 3rd Regiment Tennessee Mounted Infanty
Taken prisoner of war at Vicksburg, Mississippi July 4, 1863.
Paroled July 10, 1863 after signing Oath of Allegiance to U.S.A.
Andrew served in the same regiment as his brothers George and John. They enlisted together, were captured together, and paroled together.

Expired Image Removed

Did he look like Bruce Willis? John McClain from Die Hard??

I wonder if this my 2nd great grand uncle. My 2nd great grandfather was Andrew J. McClain and this is what I have found so far.

Andrew served in the same regiment as his brothers George and John. They enlisted together, were captured together, and paroled together.

Those three brothers had quite the experience! And to have survived together after all they'd been through. There must have been quite the welcome for them when they arrived home. By the way, welcome from Wisconsin to CWT.

Thats very interesting Jackies

Back