January 29th National Corn Chip Day

I read a book once that claimed Fritos were the pinnacle of western civilization, the perfect delivery mechanism for fat and salt. Which is a little scary to be honest.

Informative article about the founding of the Fritos company. Apparently the inventor was a vegetarian and health-food nut who didn't eat many himself, and ate his without salt.

http://www.npr.org/2007/10/18/15377830/the-birth-of-the-frito

Tortilla chips according to Wikipedia are properly distinguished from just corn chips by having gone through the process of nixtamalization. Which is a thing I know about because of learning about pellagra for a post on this forum! So, tortilla chips, no pellagra, Fritos, yes pellagra.

Regardless, I like the big scoops Fritos with chili and cheese.

Fritos Chili Pie

1 large bag of Fritos Original Corn Chips
1 15 ounce can of chili with beef (with or without beans), heated
1 8ounce bag of shredded cheese
optional: chopped onion, tomatoes, lettuce, jalapenos, and sour cream

In an oven safe serving dish, pour in Fritos and spread evenly. Heat chili and pour evenly over corn chips. Add additional ingredients, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and jalapenos. Sprinkle cheese all over and put in oven at 350 degrees till the cheese is a little melted. Serve immediately. Top with sour cream if you like.

Recipe from Frito Lay at:

http://www.fritolay.com/recipes/recipe-detail/fritos-chili-pie

Sweet & Salty Peanut Butter Caramel Funky Fritos

Expired Image Removed
http://5boysbaker.com/easyrecipe-print/3592-0/
Author: 5boysbaker.com

Ingredients
  • 1 cup white corn syrup
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 10.5 ounce bag Fritos
  • M&M’s or Candy Corn (optional)
Instructions
  1. Pour out the Fritos on a large shallow pan lined with wax paper.
  2. In a saucepan, bring the sugar and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter until smooth.
  3. Pour the mixture over the chips, sprinkle with candies, and let set for 30-60 minutes. Break apart and enjoy!

Walking Tacos

8 to 10 walking tacos

1 pound ground beef
1 envelope of taco seasoning and water
8 to 10 small bags of Fritos
Shredded Lettuce, Salsa, onion, cheese, sour cream etc taco fillings

Brown beef and add taco seasoning and water according to the instructions on seasoning package. Cut tops off Fritos bags. Add beef and taco fillings you like. Mix. Eat. Can sub doritos or any kind of corn chip, but fritos are the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corn Chip Day is good! Corn Chips are good! Like Corn Chips to dip with when eating chicken salad, ham salad, french onion dip, refried beans, chili, salsa....and much more. Like Corn Tortilla Chips, too. A bit lighter in texture and salt. Watching the salt intake. Sweet & Salty Peanut Butter Caramel Funky Fritos is an interesting use for Fritos! The Walking Tacos recipe is ingenious! Would be a good option to a bread clad sandwich at a party or picnic. Will save this one, too! Never imagined a Civil War forum to be so rich in culinary information, but glad it is!

I read a book once that claimed Fritos were the pinnacle of western civilization, the perfect delivery mechanism for fat and salt. Which is a little scary to be honest.

Informative article about the founding of the Fritos company. Apparently the inventor was a vegetarian and health-food nut who didn't eat many himself, and ate his without salt.

http://www.npr.org/2007/10/18/15377830/the-birth-of-the-frito

Tortilla chips according to Wikipedia are properly distinguished from just corn chips by having gone through the process of nixtamalization. Which is a thing I know about because of learning about pellagra for a post on this forum! So, tortilla chips, no pellagra, Fritos, yes pellagra.

Regardless, I like the big scoops Fritos with chili and cheese.

Dr Shelton's hygiene school of health was part of the early 20th century, late 1800s health movement. He believed in vegetarianism, lots of fresh air and sunbathing, water cures and healthier foods - like Fritos! (Stonewall Jackson would have been onboard his program in a minute...)

Just about the easiest dinner to make is Fritos Nachos. All you do is dump in a can of fiesta cheddar cheese soup, or melt some cheese with Ro-Tel, throw in some canned or chopped chicken and heat. Get all the fixin's like lettuce, tomato, green onion, sour cream, etc and a bag of Fritos, and that's good eats! (And a Dr Pepper. For some reason, that's best with Fritos! :laugh:)

Another interesting thing to do is mash them up and use them to coat fried chicken. Not bad at all! I particularly like the chili cheese flavor for that one! (The BBQ flavors are great, too.)

Dr Shelton's hygiene school of health was part of the early 20th century, late 1800s health movement. He believed in vegetarianism, lots of fresh air and sunbathing, water cures and healthier foods - like Fritos! (Stonewall Jackson would have been onboard his program in a minute...)
But Stonewall would not like with lots of pepper!

Ya'all are gonna get a kick out of this story.

Back years ago, my dad was a "route-truck" driver for Guy's Snacks. I even took over his route for a time, and was the "Potato Chip Man."

All the bags have printed on them a number we called the "code date". For quality purposes, no bag of chips could be allowed for sale on retail shelves if the code date had passed. These bags were called "stales" and by procedure we were supposed to dispose of them. Well, the intent was that the stales would be disposed of in garbage dumpsters. That was hardly ever the case. We found uses for them, mainly as LUNCH, but even more creative... to make a long story even longer...

Guy's Snacks had an equivalent of Frito's Original Corn Chips. An exact duplicate, as a matter of fact.

Now this was back in the day when people were beginning to notice off-flavors imparted on grilling and BBQ from charcoal starter fluid.

Two large economy size bags of corn chips dumped out into the fire box of the grill or BBQ smoker, then covered with a pyramid of charcoal or BBQ firewood.

Ignite the corn chips with a flame device, such as a simple butane torch that a plumber would use to solder copper water pipes...

Voila... charcoal starter sans the off-putting Naptha flavors.

Try it. Fritos are flammable, and an excellent charcoal starter. Hold a chip in your fingers, and put a flame to it. Then imagine what a heap of them ablaze beneath firewood or charcoal could accomplish!

Oddly enough on Saturday I bought a small bad of Fritos as they were a favorite of mine from childhood and ended up eating them yesterday. I used to share them with my great-grandfather as they were his favorite snack, too.

Back