Jan. 7th is National Tempura day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Tempura is usually stated as a Japanese dish of seafood or vegetables that have been battered and deep fried. The interesting fact I found was that the recipe for tempura was introduced to Japan by Portuguese Jesuit missionaries in the 16th century. originally tempura was a popular food eaten at street vendors and called yatai. It is now a popular side dish.

If any of you have a good recipe, please post.

National Tempura Day - interesting background to the cuisine. Jesuits and missionaries were resourceful in creating many foods. I am beginning to wonder if there is a day on the calendar that is not a day for something. I don't have a recipe and never cooked them, but do like to eat tempura battered mushrooms and other vegetables.

This a really good copy cat recipe of Ruby Tuesdays Tempura Green Beans, one of their tasty appetizers.

Ingredients -
  • ½ lb. green beans
  • 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ cup wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tbsp. almond milk (I used half & half instead)
Directions -

In a deep pan over high heat, pour in oil. Combine flour, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside. Mix egg and milk together thoroughly. Set aside. Dip green beans in egg mixture then into the flour mixture. Fry the green beans for about 5 minutes or until nicely browned. Drain and serve.

We have a Japanese restaurant that makes a tempura sweet potato that has to be the best sweet potato I have ever had.I have tried to figure out how they do it and can't make it like them and they will not tell me either.we have tried and it has been good but not great like theirs.

Last edited:
Love tempura and the soy sauce dip for it. I have been wanting to make my own Yakisoba sauce. I found this on Google

To make Yakisoba sauce from scratch: For a basic recipe, all you need is Worcestershire sauce, oyster sauce, ketchup, soy sauce and sugar (or honey). Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well together.Jan 27, 2014

Back