James Monroe Anderson: Bloody Bills Brother

Zillow indicates the house at 1005 E. Cherry was built in 1900, although it might have been built a few years before that since the Maxwells were living there in the 1900 census. Based on the location of the house near Willow Street, I am inclined to believe it is the same house, previously numbered 1025 in 1900 and 1910 before being renumbered as 1213 E. Cherry Street about 1918. If so, it appears major remodeling was done sometime after 1940. The number and location of upstairs windows was changed. The second story was lengthened to coincide with the first floor. The roof is definitely different. As you stated, the front steps, railings, and main structure are compatible with the previous photograph. I did expect to see evidence of the concrete sidewalk to, and along, the street. The remodeling was probably done after the death of Jimmie Maude Anderson in 1966.
Thanks for your reply. There is a house in my hometown that I have done some research on for our annual Cemetery Walk. The tax records list it as having been built in the early 1900's as well, but from Census records, obituaries in newspapers, and other family papers, we know that it was built in the 1880's. My guess is that, in most cases of early houses, the tax records indicated 'year built' is unreliable.

Also, take another look at the Google maps image and zoom in on the walls of the upper story. That is Lowes house wrap on the exterior walls of the second story. So perhaps the remodeling was done very recently?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. There is a house in my hometown that I have done some research on for our annual Cemetery Walk. The tax records list it as having been built in the early 1900's as well, but from Census records, obituaries in newspapers, and other family papers, we know that it was built in the 1880's. My guess is that, in most cases of early houses, the tax records indicated 'year built' is unreliable.

Also, take another look at the Google maps image and zoom in on the walls of the upper story. That is Lowes house wrap on the exterior walls of the second story. So perhaps the remodeling was done very recently?

Could be. Bottom line, the Maxwell house was not built by Richardson in 1864 for Bill Anderson's wife. That story remains a story until some proof is found.

There are several books about Bloody Bill Anderson. The accepted birth year of Bill Anderson is 1840. Find A Grave memorial # 7095 also indicates he was born in 1840. Census records do not support that birth year. His father, William C. Anderson was counted in Marion County, Missouri, in the 1840 census. William had one child in the household, a son under 5 years of age. William and Martha Anderson had an 11 year old son, William, in the 1850 census of Randolph County, Missouri. William C. and Martha Anderson had a 21 year old son, William T. Anderson, in the 1860 census of Breckenridge County, Kansas Territory.

These were the instructions for the 1850 and 1860 census: The recorded age of the individual was his age at his last birthday prior to June 1 of the census year. Therefore, William T. Anderson was born between June 1, 1838 and May 31, 1839. This is true ONLY IF the respondent knew when William T. Anderson was born, information was recorded accurately at the dwelling, and transcribed accurately onto the census page. The reported age of Bill Anderson in the 1850 and 1860 census years is consistent, indicating the information is credible.

MO-Richmond-Missouri-William-Bloody-Bill-Anderson-Confederate-Guerrilla-Tombstone-Grave-photo.jpg

That's because the date is wrong on the marker. pretty commonly accepted in most circles that Anderson was born in 1839, in Kentucky.

Back