Is this rare? Tactics for Sharps Carbine...

did you notice in the diary that Enos had some soldier send his photo to Lucy A Ives, his future wife, in April, 1865? This must be how they met, she was in Rensselaer Co NY which is quite far from Monroe Co NY where he grew up.

that's so funny S, as i thought of you when read that, knew you would be interested. but thought no one would get that reference here. as you read the journal you definitely see this courtship unfold. kinda cool it's across from the lincoln mention no?

he starts the year, from his service records, and confirmed in his journal, resting at home in new york. he is sick. and then, he has these "chills" a lot.

m very familiar with lots of museums and their staffs including those mentioned, and can assist if desired...

yes, i will need your help here. i will send you a private message with my email address. additionally, i will be doing a grand tour of virginia, and battlefield sites, next may, and will probably want to meet prospective museum curators etc.

please consider the African American Civil War Museum in Washington

it was on my list. i have to do some research on this.

my main concern, er, wish, is that all of the items are digitized and made available to the public, online, a website of sorts. now whether they want to charge for the usage of said material would be up to them. i remember "discovering" that photo of marion patterson, my 2nd great granddad, and HAPPILY paying for a 600 dpi tif scan of that photo.

at the beginning of the enos wood journal of 1865 is this description, er, printed summary of the war so for, by the company making the journal. i find it fascinating that the company, at that early date, and probably during 1864, decided what events needed to be highlighted for their blank journal of 1865. and then, i just love how the war information is juxtaposed with the population schedule, clearly showing that there were no slaves in the north. and then, seeing the "numbers" of slaves versus free population is astounding. mississippi, really? wowza.

1865 Diary Enos Wood 4.jpg 1865 Diary Enos Wood 5.jpg 1865 Diary Enos Wood 6.jpg

Back