Is this CSA Buckle real? Help needed!

Texans88

Cadet
Is this belt buckle real or fake? the person says it was from a Chicago historical society in the 70s that liquidated doubles of relics for funding. It has the right measurements but the hooks aren't very pointed. thanks!
$_1.JPG
$_1 (1).JPG

Attachments

• $_1 (2).JPG
    $_1 (2).JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
The front looks okay, but the tell-tale evidence will be in those funny-looking prongs and the way they're made. We need input here from one of the serious relic hunters in the forums.

Hello Texans88.

I think that person may be right. It does look like it could be a duplicate of an original.
Hopefully others will be able to offer more information.

Welcome to CivilWarTalk.

Not a copy, duplicate as in they had two CSA buckles and sold the extra along with other relics they had doubles of.

I'll add that in the 1960's I had a copy of a buckle of this style and the prongs were made as part of the buckle but didn't look like these.

Is this belt buckle real or fake? the person says it was from a Chicago historical society in the 70s that liquidated doubles of relics for funding. It has the right measurements but the hooks aren't very pointed. thanks!View attachment 116357 View attachment 116358
I'm going to say fake, I have yet to see this buckle without the period after the footed A, not to mention that the hooks are not like any I have seen,

I'm going to say fake, I have yet to see this buckle without the period after the footed A, not to mention that the hooks are not like any I have seen,

Thank you for the input! The period is after the a but looks as if they weathered together. You can see it in person better than the photo. I thought it was odd they were touching so much.

The hooks are squared somewhat which is strange.

I know little to nothing regarding buckles, but I would suggest that you post the picture of the buckle with some sort of reference, whether ruler or something like a quarter or dime next to the item in the photo. Doing such may hasten correct identification.

I'm so very glad you posted it up, very smart to do so!

Thank you for the input! The period is after the a but looks as if they weathered together. You can see it in person better than the photo. I thought it was odd they were touching so much.

The hooks are squared somewhat which is strange.
There is no buckle that I am aware of that has a footed A with the period that close, as to make it look as one.

The problem is, real Confederate buckles have become so expensive that it is profitable to make very good copies. Even the "experts" can argue over the correctness of a buckle. In the case of this buckle it is difficult to tell if it was a worn buckle that someone did some overaggressive cleaning or it is a fake. If the price is more than you are willing to take a chance on pass it up. What something is worth is the meeting of what someone is willing to pay matching what someone is willing to sell for.

Back