Irish Coffee

Farawayfriend tried to find recipe for Café Cognac. saw Napoleon did like coffee. I saw there is a French Coffee. Will look for different coffee drinks.

That coffee with cognac sounds very classy. I think there are spices like cloves in it, too? You're right Napoleon didn't care for coffee - he had stomach troubles big time and coffee was too acid. However, after he got dumped on St Helena he found it relieved a lot of boredom and liked it as strong as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, sure, and isn't everyone part Irish?
"Sláinte agad-sa!
OH my. I'm the great great grandson of an Ulster Callahan, and lots of Armstrongs from the same area. My whole life has had exposure to quality innuendo as to heritage... as my darling Wendy responds to the innocent pose "so do you have any Irish in ya?" .... she says "sometimes".

OK folks if you really want to get going on a cold winter morning (or hot summer morning depending on where you are) brew up a cup of your favorite coffee and liberally lace it with Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, nothing better I assure you,
Now your talking Bro, I always use the excuse C.M. is better for you than a lot of sugar in your coffee anyway.

OH my. I'm the great great grandson of an Ulster Callahan, and lots of Armstrongs from the same area. My whole life has had exposure to quality innuendo as to heritage... as my darling Wendy responds to the innocent pose "so do you have any Irish in ya?" .... she says "sometimes".
Armstrong.png Never can have too many Armstrongs on a site Billy.

With it being summer thought I would look for an Iced Irish Coffee recipe. I found this one for you all to try.

2 cups ice cubes
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup hot water
2 cups freshly brewed coffee
3/4 cup Irish Whiskey
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons sugar

Crush ice. Combine sugar and hot water in a pitcher; stir until sugar dissolves.

Add coffee, whiskey, and chocolate syrup, stirring to blend.

Fill serving glasses with crushed ice, then pour coffee mixture over the ice.

Whip cream and sugar to soft peaks. Top each glass with a spoonful of cream and serve.

What a summer treat to have while seating on your patio or deck.

Oh my, I have not been here in this thread for two years!

When I posted about "café cognac" and my favorite author, Theodor Fontane, I was remembering an episode from one of his novels, where the setting was winter 1812/1813 in Prussia, when Prussia tried to get rid of the French occupation. In that scene a country doctor had to ride several Prussian miles (one Prussian land mile being approx. 3.5 US miles) in bitter cold to see a patient and when arrived he asked for a café cognac - and when it was served separately, he drank the brandy first and left the coffee for later. So I don't know if Napoleon himself drank coffee or not, but his unwilling Prussian subjects sure did! :D

Here is a site with a lot of coffee and brandy specialties, with and without cream. Enjoy!
(And note that the link says not "coffee with cognac" but "cognac drinks with coffee". So you get a hunch what is important here :dance:)
http://www.yummly.co/recipes/cognac-drinks-with-coffee

Oh my, I have not been here in this thread for two years!

When I posted about "café cognac" and my favorite author, Theodor Fontane, I was remembering an episode from one of his novels, where the setting was winter 1812/1813 in Prussia, when Prussia tried to get rid of the French occupation. In that scene a country doctor had to ride several Prussian miles (one Prussian land mile being approx. 3.5 US miles) in bitter cold to see a patient and when arrived he asked for a café cognac - and when it was served separately, he drank the brandy first and left the coffee for later. So I don't know if Napoleon himself drank coffee or not, but his unwilling Prussian subjects sure did! :D

Here is a site with a lot of coffee and brandy specialties, with and without cream. Enjoy!
(And note that the link says not "coffee with cognac" but "cognac drinks with coffee". So you get a hunch what is important here :dance:)
http://www.yummly.co/recipes/cognac-drinks-with-coffee
As the description drinks Napoleonic era, the soldiers often drank coffee than tea.

Napoleon did like coffee after on St. Helena.

"Napoleon was a regular coffee drinker whilst on St. Helena, taking it daily with breakfast at six and after lunch at ten. Dinner at eight always finished with coffee served from a silver pot in his much prized cup...."

From: Antony Wild, "Coffee, A Dark History", w.w. Norton & Co., 2005.

Napoleon Bonaparte's famous quote on coffee:

"Strong coffee, much strong coffee, is what awakens me. Coffee gives me warmth, waking, an unusual force and a pain that is not without very great pleasure."

Back