Interesting piece found on the commons Tarboro NC

Circus

Cadet
Here is the photo of the obverse
FullSizeRender%20105.jpg

here is the reverse
FullSizeRender%20148.jpg

It was found a couple years ago by somebody in Tarboro NC on or in the commons. 2" deep. A relative took a whizzer wheel to take off the heavy corrosion off leaving it with the polished black patina of old copper. It was made out of a large matron cent, I can barely make out the lower neck line of the liberty matron facing left the party that found it said he could see some of the liberty between the letter N and 6. I couldn't even after dipping the piece in a chemical cleaner. It didn't clean up any better.
As it shows it has 1864 Gen Lee CSA.
I am a token collect of the more modern varieties, After posting pic's on a number of suggested answers that run the spectrum. a member of a coin forum that is a member here suggested I try here.
I am open to any help I can get.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CivilWarTalk @Circus Glad to have you aboard. Unfortunately I cant shed any light on the item in question but Im sure it has an interesting story to tell. Hang around and peruse the forum threads. Im sure some of the experts will be along to weigh in. And again Welcome!

Someone here will know, Circus. Or, at least come close enough to point you in the right direction. And stick around, we really have some interesting quarrels, er, discussions.

The impression of the item is that it is a modern fake/reproduction/curio collector piece....

Very rare that you see anything of the period stamped with "CSA", and/or a correlating war time date such as this... "Gen Lee" rather than more frequently used "R.E. Lee".... These are common traits with folks trying to peddle off something that it isnt... It may very well be on a period coin.. That's part of the ruse... and attempt to imply validity to the item since the coin is old..... ID coins and tokens were more frequently found engraved, not metal stamped...(post war veteran ladder badges are something different) The font stampings used on this are of a modern pattern.. not one that was of typical use in that period... The shanks of period die stamps were normally squared... You can see the oval impression on several of the letters here that were deeply impressed... that's a modern type.. Also note that the stamped depression areas completely lack any pitting, corrosion and ground action like the rest of the coin displays... which confirms it was added onto it much much later.. I would pass on that item...

The impression of the item is that it is a modern fake/reproduction/curio collector piece.... I would pass on that item...

It was part of a bulk swap of tokens for rolls of pennies.It was added in to the pile.
I had the same concerns that you have pointed out.

Back