1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Impressive CSS Neuse II

Discussion in 'Civil War History - The Naval War' started by RoadDog, Dec 14, 2008.

1. RoadDog

RoadDog Private

Visted my family in NC this past Thanksgiving, and, along with turkey, had plenty 'o good Carolina 'cue at McCall's and Wilber's in Goldsboro and King's in Kinston.

While in Kinston, saw the impressive full-scale replica of the CSS Neuse. If you ever wanted to know what a Confederate ironclad looked like, this be the place.

Then you can go nearby and see the actual remains of the ship. Not too shabby.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Ronayne

Ronayne Cadet

I saw the Neusse a few years ago. It was pretty impressive. Although, I'd have to say if you want to see a REAL ironclad Vicksburg be the place. Here's a photo I took of the USS Cairo. The damage to the right side of the hull is where the mine exploded causing her to sink:

[​IMG]

4. M E Wolf

M E Wolf Brigadier General Moderator

Dear Ronayne;

Wow! What a lovely photo you took!

Navy O.R.-- Series II--Volume 1
    Statistical Data Of Ships.
    United States Vessels. "A"-"C"
    U. S. S. CAIRO.
    Acquisition.--Built at St. Louis, Mo., under contract, by James B. Eads & Co.
    Description.--
    Class: Steamer; gunboat; wood.
    Rate, rig, etc.: 4th.
    Tonnage.--512.
    Battery.--January, 1862, 6 32-pdrs. 43 cwt., 3 VIII-inch 63 cwt., 4 army rifles 80 cwt., 1 12-pdr. howitzer; September 30, 1862, 6 32-pdrs. 43 cwt., 3 army rifles 80 cwt., 3 VIII-Inch 63 cwt., 1 30-pdr. Parrott rifle; December 1, 1862, 6 32-pdrs. 43 cwt., 3 army rifles 80 cwt., 8 VIII-inch 63 cwt., 1 30-pdr. Parrott rifle.
    Disposition.--She sunk within less than five minutes after being struck by a torpedo, 18 miles up the Yazoo River, December 12, 1862.
    Remarks.--Sunk 4 or 5 miles below Haynes' Bluff.

Respectfully submitted,
    M. E. Wolf

5. RoadDog

RoadDog Private

Commanded by that sinker-of-ships, Thomas O. Selfridge.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)