1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

I'm retired and loving it, doing some research on Lincoln assassanition.

Discussion in 'New Recruits Meet & Greet Area' started by Gera, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Gera

Gera Private

If any one has info on First Cherokee Regiment day books for 1864. My GGgrandfather was Lt.col.
    Robert C. Parks and recorded many messages for the period 11/'62 to 3/'63. He died in '64. The Kansas State Historical Society has the Day book for that one period.
    Also concerning John W. Booth, I would like an explanation as to how he could grow a long bushy moustache in twelve days?
    Gera

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Interesting question. Never though about it. Seems he had a bushy mustache at the time. Where did you observe the growth?

Oh. Welcome aboard. You'll find you need to be retarded ... I mean retired ... if you're going to hang around here.

Rebel from Finland likes this.
  4. kholland

kholland 1st Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

First off, welcome to our board. I'm confused also, Booth had a mustache in all the photos taken of him but he shaved it when he was on the run, probably thinking it would help disguise him more.

5. donna

donna Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Welcome to forum from Kentucky.

6. Lazy Bayou

Lazy Bayou 1st Lieutenant

Welcome from Mississippi...

7. Littlestown

Littlestown 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Welcome from Ohio.

8. reading48

reading48 1st Lieutenant

Hello and Greetings from the Comonwealth of Penna.

9. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

If you're talking about the night Mudd helped him....he was wearing stage makeup by the time they got to Mudd's, weren't they?

Gera likes this.
  10. prroh

prroh Captain

Booth usually wore a mustache except in 1864 when he shaved it for an appearance with his two brothers in a benefit performance of Julius Caesar.
    law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/lincolnconspiracy/booth

11. Gandycreek

Gandycreek Sergeant Major

Welcome from West Virginia.

12. prroh

prroh Captain

Mudd claimed , on his third interrogation, that he didn't recognize Booth because he wore a beard. Even if true, he surely would have have recognized Booth's voice and knew him well enough to see through the alleged beard. Otherwise no stage makeup.

13. M E Wolf

M E Wolf Brigadier General Moderator

Gera,

I look forward to your future postings here and in many of the forums here. We're finding; is that some names are shared by other states, same with roads. So, if you will - when you are talking about Arlington, please denote which one-- Arlington, Virginia, Arlington, Texas, etc. Columbia Pike, is another common road term; so it would help to know where this road is--Virginia or elsewhere. That way, we're able to follow your topic/words/comments and observations.

Please know there are no quotas but, certainly want to hear from you.

Post when you feel comfortable in doing so and at your own speed.

No limits on how much you post.

References are wonderful if you have them. It is great to go to the same book, page and read as another poster has; to read all of what that page has to offer. I like official records myself. So, I post all the information I can as to share.

Personal opinions and comments are welcomed also. So, don't feel this forum requires only references as to post comments about. However, I must mention that it does help when it is expressed when a post is a personal opinion or a statement of facts.

You are just in time as there is a new format being 'tweaked' and 'modified' so many of us are feeling our way around this new 'house' per se.

I look forward to your posts.

Respectfully submitted,
    M. E. Wolf

Gera likes this.
  14. M E Wolf

O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLI/3 [S# 85]
    CONFEDERATE CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES, FROM SEPTEMBER 1, 1864, TO OCTOBER 15, 1864.--#3
    INDIAN CAVALRY DIVISION.
    Brig. Gen. DOUGLAS H. COOPER.
    First (Indian) Brigade.
    Brig. Gen. STAND WATIE.
    1st Cherokee, Col. Robert C. Parks.
    2d Cherokee, Col. William P. Adair.
    --- Cherokee Battalion, Maj. Joseph A. Scales.
    1st Creek, Col. Daniel N. McIntosh.
    2d Creek, Col. Chilly McIntosh.
    --- Creek Squadron, Capt. R. Kenard.
    1st Osage Battalion, Maj. Broke Arm.
    1st Seminole Battalion, Lieut. Col. John Jumper.
    Second (Indian) Brigade.
    Col. TANDY WALKER.
    1st Chickasaw Battalion, Lieut. Col. Lemuel M. Reynolds.
    1st Choctaw Battalion, Lieut. Col. Jackson McCurtain.
    1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Battalion, Lieut. Col. James Riley.
    2d Choctaw, Col. Simpson N. Folsom.
    Reserve Squadron, Capt. George Washington.
    Unattached.
    20th Texas, Maj. John R. Johnson.
    1st Battalion Texas Sharpshooters, Maj. James Burnet.
    -----------
    O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLI/4 [S# 86]
    CONFEDERATE CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES, FROM OCTOBER 16, 1864, to DECEMBER 31, 1864.--#6
    COOPER'S INDIAN CAVALRY DIVISION.
    Brig. Gen. DOUGLAS H. COOPER.
    First Indian Cavalry Brigade.
    Brig. Gen. STAND WATIE.
    1st Cherokee, Col. Robert C. Parks.
    2d Cherokee, Col. William P. Adair.
    Battalion Cherokees, Maj. Joseph A. Scales.
    1st Creek, Col. Daniel N. McIntosh.
    2d Creek, Col. Chilly McIntosh.
    Squadron Creeks, Capt. R. Kenard.
    1st Osage Battalion, Maj. Broke Arm.
    1st Seminole Battalion, Lieut. Col. John Jumper.
    Second Indian Cavalry Brigade.
    Col. TANDY WALKER.
    1st Chickasaw, Lieut. Col. Lemuel M. Reynolds.
    1st Choctaw Battalion, Lieut. Col. Jackson McCurtain.
    1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Battalion, Lieut. Col. James Riley.
    2d Choctaw, Col. Simpson N. Folsom.
    Reserve Squadron, Capt. George Washington
    Unattached.
    Burnet's (Texas) Sharpshooters, Maj. James Burnet.
    20th Texas Cavalry (dismounted), Maj. John R. Johnson.

15. M E Wolf

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXII/2 [S# 33]
    Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, The Indian Territory, And Department Of The Northwest, From January 1 To December 31, 1863.
    UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#5
    HDQRS. 8TH AND 9TH DISTS., DEPT. OF THE MISSOURI,
    In the Field, Camp John Ross, February 6, 1863.
    Major-General CURTIS,
    Commanding Department of the Missouri:
    SIR: The commands here at Fayetteville post, Fort Blunt (below Maysville), are in good condition. Lieutenant Phillips is at Park Hill, with train of subsistence for refugees. He is expected back to-morrow. Heard from him this morning, all right.

I sent Captain Lucas, Sixth Kansas, toward Cane Hill, with 160 men and one howitzer, to clean out a bushwhacking force that was gathering between that place and Illinois. We have intensely cold weather and snow. I have several parties out to track these bushwhackers up.

Captain Christy, Third Indian Regiment, has just returned from Arkansas River, opposite Fort Smith. In the cane, on this side of the river (in the big bend), there are about 300 half-breeds and whites of the Nation, who have forsaken Stand Watie. They refuse to go south of the river, and do not appear to want to fight, but are, I suspect, afraid of the old feud between them and the full-bloods of the Nation. I think the case is one requiring rather delicate handling, but from which good results may follow.

I learn that General Cooper has left Shelbyville, and is above North Fork, on the Canadian River. He has Scanland's and another Texas battalion, but few Indians. His effective force is small, and he appears to be subsisting.

Another scout, First Lieutenant Fox-Killer, arrived from below last night. Except guerrilla companies of mounted men, from 40 to 200, that prowl about, I do not think there is at the present moment any force above Clarksville. At Webber's Falls, Lieutenant-Colonel Parks has the remnant (all that is left) of Colonel Watie's force. Watie in person is at Briartown.

I have just learned that a "long line of persons," many on foot, are straggling up this way through the snow from the direction of the Creek Nation. They wear on their hats a white badge of cloth, on the right side, the sign agreed upon with McIntosh's men as the one to wear when they come within our camp as friends.

I have sent a train of 25 wagons and some ambulances to Fayetteville, to move the sick and wounded who are sufficiently convalescent (as all are reported to be) to Fort Scott. I deemed it better to reduce the proportions of a hospital in such an advanced position as soon as I could with propriety do so. Shall the sick and wounded of General Herron's command be sent to Springfield or remain at Fayetteville?
    With respect, I remain, your obedient servant,
    WM. A. PHILLIPS,
    Colonel, Commanding.
    -----

16. M E Wolf

Confederate Military History, Vol. 10
    ARKANSAS
    BY COL. JOHN M. HARRELL.

Confederate Military History, Vol. 10
    CHAPTER X.
    [excerpt]
    Cooper's Indian cavalry division, Brig.-Gen. Douglas H. Cooper commanding, included: First Indian cavalry brigade, Brig.-Gen. Stand Watie--First Cherokee regiment, Col. Robert C. Parks; Second Cherokee, Col. William P. Adair; Cherokee battalion, Maj. Joseph A. Scales; First Creek, Col. Daniel N. Mcintosh; Second Creek, Col. Chilly Mcintosh; Creek squadron, Capt. R. Kenard; First Osage battalion, Maj. Broke Arm; First Seminole battalion, Lieut.-Col. John Jumper. Second Indian cavalry brigade, Col. Tandy Walker--First Chickasaw regiment, Lieut.-Col. Lemuel M. Reynolds; First Choctaw battalion, Lieut.-Col. Jackson McCurtain; First Choctaw and Chickasaw battalion, Lieut.-Col. James Riley; Second Choctaw, Col. Simpson N. Folsom; Reserve squadron, Capt. George Washington.

Records show clearly that he was a full Colonel towards 1864.
    ------------
    http://www.thepeoplespaths.net/history/CherConfed.htm

A Guide to Cherokee Confederate
    Military Units, 1861 - 1865
    by Lars Gjertveit
    Copyright © 1995 - 1998
    Sons of Confederate Veterans

By the spring of 1861, Stand Watie (1806-1871), the leader of the southern faction of the Cherokee Nation, was a prosperous attorney and speaker of the nation’s National Council (the lower house of the Cherokee legislature). He owned a plantation and mill at Honey Creek in the Illinois District of the Cherokee Nation.​
    1st (Watie’s) Cherokee Mounted Volunteers
    (2nd Cherokee Mounted Volunteers​
    [designation changed to 1st Regiment about​
    Dec 62, after Drew’s regiment had disbanded],​
    Watie’s Regiment Cherokee Mounted Rifles)​

COLONELS. Stand Watie, promoted Brig Gen 6 May 64; James Madison Bell, promoted and transferred from Lt Col of the 2nd Regt. after Watie became general​
    LIEUTENANT COLONELS. Thomas Fox Taylor, KIA 27 Jul 62, Bayou Menard (n. Fort Gibson); Robert Calvin Parks, replaced Taylor ( from Capt, 1st Co B) killed by a fellow officer in a personal difficulty at Fort Washita in April 1864; Clement Neeley Vann, succeeded Parks (prev pvt Co K, Drew’s Regt.?)​
    MAJORS. Elias Cornelius Boudinot, after reorganization elected Cherokee delegate to Congress, Col and Vol ADC on Maj Gen T C Hindman’s staff in Dec 62; Joseph Franklin Thompson, (from Capt, 1st Co I); Erasmus J Howland, succeeded Thompson in 1864 (from Capt, 2nd Co D).​

REGIMENTAL STAFF

Adjutant: 1st Lt Charles E Watie, to 1st Lt, 2nd Co B after reorganization; 1st Lt Thomas F Anderson (from pvt, 1st Co H) to Brigade AAG 1864​
    Assistant Quarter Master: 1st Lt George W Adair, died April 62; 1st Lt William Penn Adair, to Col of 2nd Regt. 3 Feb 63; 1st Lt Johnson Thompson​
    Asst. Commissary of Subsistence: 1st Lt Joseph M Starr, Sr, until 62; 1st Lts Oliver W Lipe (from pvt, 2nd Co G) resigned 3 Jun 63; Peter G Lynch (from pvt, 2nd Co B), Samuel M Ware (from pvt, 2nd Co A)​
    Surgeon: Maj Walter Thompson Adair, to Brigade Surgeon 1864​
    Assistant Surgeon: Capt William D Polson, resigned 1 Jul 62; Capt Francis H Fisk (from drill instr, 1st Co I)​
    Surgeon’s Interpreter: Capt Richard Fields (prev Capt, Co F, Drew’s Regt) Chaplain: Rev J N Slover​
    Sergeant Major: George W West, KIA 20 May 63; R M Morgan (from sgt, 1st Co C), H Lincoln Foreman (from pvt, 2nd Co D), Patrick Patton (from 1st Sgt, 2nd Co A)​
    Quartermaster Sergeant: Benjamin W Carter (from pvt, 2nd Co G), John G Schrimsher (from pvt, 2nd Co G)​
    Ordnance Sergeant: George W Harlin​
    Hospital Steward: Jasper Polson, Ben Trott​

Companies and their Commanders: First Organization​

Company A. Buzzard, KIA 20 May 63 n. Fort Gibson.​
    Company B. Robert Calvin Parks, to Lt Col after reorganization.​
    Company C. Daniel H Coody​
    Company D. James Madison Bell, to Lt Col of the 2nd Regiment 3 Feb 63.​
    Company E. Joseph Franklin Thompson (prev in the Arkansas State service) to Major after reorganization.​
    Company F. Joseph F Smallwood​
    Company G. George H Starr​
    Company H. John Thompson Mayes​
    Company I. George W Johnson​
    Company K. James H Thompson. This company became Co H, Clarkson’s Battalion, Independent Rangers 14 July 62. This Bn was broken up in Nov 62, 5 cos merged into Clark’s Missouri Infantry Regiment.​
    Company L (aka J).Bluford West Alberty.​
    In addition, Thomas J Parks was designated to lead Company M, but this does not appear to have materialized.​

[excerpt]​
    Rest is very extensive and worthy of a read.​
    ==========================================​
    The Original Arkansas Genealogy Project,Civil War

www.couchgenweb.com/civilwar/ - Similarto The Original Arkansas Genealogy Project,Civil War
    This can be accessed on the main Civil War page at the bottom. ... Howerton from the microfilm records or have been a gift from another researcher to put on the Civil War pages. ... 1ST SQUADRON CHEROKEE MOUNTED VOLUNTEERS ...

===============================
    First Cherokee Regiment day book - Kansas Memory

www.kansasmemory.org/item/209316
    31, 1863, during which time the author served with the 1st Cherokee Regiment ... During the Civil War, most of the members of the Cherokee Nation who had been removed from ... History of the 19th Kansas Cavalry--Indian War of 1868-69 ...

A semi-official journal covering the period Nov. 10, 1862-Mar. 31, 1863, during which time the author served with the 1st Cherokee Regiment (Confederate) in the Indian Territory under Colonel Stand Watie. It contains copies of general & local orders, movements of the unit, and events. Portions of the first few pages are missing. During the Civil War, most of the members of the Cherokee Nation who had been removed from Georgia to Oklahoma under the treaty of 1835 allied themselves with the Confederacy. The 1st Cherokee Regiment was organized in 1861. Robert Calvin Parks was a captain in Company B at the time he kept this day book. The regiment played an important role in several battles along the border of Indian Territory. References are made to Clara, Robert's wife; Sterling Price Parks, their son; Thomas J. (Jeff) Parks, Robert's brother; Aunt Susan Taylor, the wife of Richard Taylor, Robert's uncle & his mother's brother; the Riders & Albertys, relatives of Clara; and James Butler, husband of Robert's cousin and the man who shot & killed Robert.
    Creator: Parks, Robert Calvin, d. 1864
    Date: November 10, 1862-March 31, 1863

M. E. Wolf

Ellsworth avenger likes this.
  17. Gera

Gera Private

18. Gera

Gera Private

I have read several books about the Lincoln murder. When I read something that grabs my attention I try to find another source to verify the statement.
    I found four different sources that say the body had a moustache at the time he was identified as John
    W. Booth. Dr.Mudd testified / or stated that Booth borrowed his razor and shaved his moustache off, 4/15 '65.
    1. The Garrets was introduced to a man named named Boyd. Booth or Boyd, he had a moustache.
    Richard Garrett, "a heavy dark moustache covered his mouth,"
    Kate Garrett, "the stranger had a moustache, ... introduced as James W. Boyd"
    2. The soldiers were shown a picture of Booth which had a moustache while the hunt was on. They did not know at that time he had shaven it off. Andrew Potter, "discovered Baker with a body (headed back to Washington) what had a moustache"
    3. One of the detectives went to the photographer's dark room while the picture of the man (Booth) was being developed.
    He took the negative and picture to the War Department. He said that he recognmized Booth because of his moustache.
    Detective James A. Wardell, "the moustache was shaggy and dirty," he did not know abojut the razor!
    The time period was some 12 days after Booth had shaved his moustache off, 4/26 '65.
    Gera

19. Greg Taylor

Greg Taylor First Sergeant

Welcome Gera. If all goes according to Hoyle I will be retiring in July. I look forward to doing alot more Civil War research when I retire. The internet has changed everything regarding research and the world is literally at one's fingertips from the comfort of home. This website is a great source of information and advise from many knowledgable folks. Just look at what you have gotten from M.E Wolf! BTW, I am doing research on Ft. Delaware for a Civil War Roundtable presentation I am planning to make. I visited there in 2006 while researching the letters of my g-g grandfather William B. Phillips who was there for 3 months in 1862 and became fascinated with the place. So, if anyone has info on Ft. Delaware I'd love to hear from you.

20. kel1985

kel1985 Sergeant Major

hey and welcome from Pittsburgh!
    Maybe Booth used Rogaine (tongue firmly in cheek)

Nathanb1 likes this.
  21. prroh

prroh Captain

I would like a source on his shaving. I, too, have read several books on the event and visited Mudd's house a number of times. This is first I heard of him shaving off his mustache.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)