First Bull Run If Joe Johnston died at 1st Manassas...

Nytram01

First Sergeant
If Joseph E. Johnston had died at 1st Manassas how would he be thought of by history?

Would General Beauregard have gotten command of the forces in Virginia by default and never be sent out west? How would he combat McClellan?

If not Beauregard then does Lee get the job or does it go to someone else?

What happens out West without Joe Johnston around to influence things directly or indirectly?

Is the War shorter or longer without Joe or does it remain the same?

If Joesph E. Johnston had died at First Manassas he might have been thought of as a hero and people might be debating until this day what might have happened if he had lived. Johnston and Beauregard shared command of the Confederate army at First Manassas, so if Johnston had been killed it is possible that Beauregard would have taken command. If Jefferson Davis had not been satisfied with Beauregard's performance he might have put Lee in command. I don't believe Beauregard would have done as good against McClellan or anybody else as Lee did. With Beauregard in command I believe the Confederates in Virginia would have been defeated much sooner than they were. With Johnston dead, who would have taken command of the Army Of The Tennessee when Sherman invaded Georgia? If Hood had taken command at that time he would very likely have destroyed the army sooner than he did and that might have ended the war in 1864. If Johnston had died at First Manassas, I believe the war would have been shorter, the Confederates would have possibly been defeated no later than 1864.

Good question... I going with Bragg. He was Jeff Davis buddy. P.T.G. Beauregard would go west and Bragg would have been in command in the east. I think he would have given Little Mac a good fight before his staff revolted...

Back