Longstreet ID Help please? Longstreet trio CDV

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
This CDV posted by "The Longstreet Society" of Gainesville GA on February 17, 2017 is labeled as follows: "A carte de visite of unknown (left), Gen. Xavier Debray (center) and General Longstreet. Circa 1865."

Does anyone else think it might be Gilbert Moxley Sorrel at left?
Expired Image Removed
https://www.facebook.com/TheLongstr...96436831837/10154975882491838/?type=3&theater

EDIT to ADD: Just found a previous thread by @AUG351 that includes the Houston TX backmark of the image but, unfortunately, no ID of the mystery man at left. Here's a link to the previous thread http://civilwartalk.com/threads/rar...street-and-gen-xavier-blanchard-debray.88722/

Last edited:
...Does anyone else think it might be Gilbert Moxley Sorrel at left?

The person looks to be already becoming gray while the picture is date 1865 or shortly afterwards. Sorrel would be under 30. Of course it is possible; first below is dated 1864 (though I´m not sure that this is correct), second one is undated. However it would be a change from his usual hair and beard style which, as seen, he sports again later.

fic200902574.jpg
fic201000147.jpg

(pictures from acwm.org)

Last edited:
The person looks to be already becoming gray while the picture is date 1865 or shortly afterwards. Sorrel would be under 30. Of course it is possible; first below is dated 1864 (though I´m not sure that this is correct), second one is undated. However it would be a change from his usual hair and beard style which, as seen, he sports again later.)
Good point. Any idea who it could be? If the picture was taken in 1865 in Houston TX, it would have been after Longstreet traveled with Thomas J Goree on his expedition. Did anyone else travel with them? Could it be Goree? Doesnt look like him.
Looks like the mayor of Savannah, GA, Charles Colcock Jones, Jr:
Does kind of look like him. Any idea if the Mayor of Savannah was in Houston TX in or about 1865?

Last edited:
Does kind of look like him. Any idea if the Mayor of Savannah was in Houston TX in or about 1865?

I think that Mohammed came to the mountain for this one. More likely for a TX-based photographer to travel to GA to photograph the "The Longstreet Society" of Gainesville GA, than the other way around :smile:

He settled in New Orleans ... Texas was just a walk around the corner.
Wonder if this is a copy of an original that was taken when Longstreet was in New Orleans? Maybe Debray and the mystery man came over from Texas and had the original picture taken? If so, it would seem odd that Goree didn't join them. He had such an affinity for Longstreet and was living in TX (Houston I believe) at the time? Goree's memoirs indicate that Longstreet didnt come to TX to visit until 1891 and the Longstreet in the trio image is not the Longstreet of 1891.
upload_2017-2-19_20-13-13.png

Last edited:
Back