How Many USA Founders Would Have Fought With the CSA?

From the September 18, 1861, edition of The New Hampshire Sentinal:

Rebel Officers Shot—Two rebel offices, while spying about our camp at Elk Water, in Western Virginia, Friday morning, were surprised by our pickets and shot. The body of one was brought into camp and proved to be Col. John A. Washington of Mount Vernon. He was not a direct descendant of the great Washington, whose work he was so shamefully endeavored to pull down, but was the son of Bushrod Washington, the favorite nephew of the “father of his country.” His character was utterly unworthy of the illustrious name he bore, and no tears will be shed over his loss among those who most revere his name.​

Considering the ancestry of Lee and other Confederate notables and sympathizers, I wonder which side the majority of our founders would have have taken during this second revolution.

Pretty much any slaveholder FF.

Perhaps, but while many of them held slaves, they regretted the institution. Jefferson was one such person. His first draft of the Declaration of Independence, as you will recall, condemned the King for its presence in the colonies. In spite of his hatred for the institution, I agree with Desert Kid that Jefferson would have played an active role with the CSA.

Perhaps, but while many of them held slaves, they regretted the institution. Jefferson was one such person. His first draft of the Declaration of Independence, as you will recall, condemned the King for its presence in the colonies. In spite of his hatred for the institution, I agree with Desert Kid that Jefferson would have played an active role with the CSA.

Maybe, but talk is one thing, actually giving slavery up is a very different one. So IMHO they would follow the money into rebellion.

I don't think virtually any of the Founding Fathers would have been ok with engaging in revolution because they lost a legally held election.

Given the system they set up I think it unlikely that the Founding Father would agree that one party/interest group losing their ability to dominate the National Govt. Was grounds for rebellion.

I don't think virtually any of the Founding Fathers would have been ok with engaging in revolution because they lost a legally held election.

Given the system they set up I think it unlikely that the Founding Father would agree that one party/interest group losing their ability to dominate the National Govt. Was grounds for rebellion.

A bit too simplistically rhetorical for my taste. Just as well frame it as protecting what the revolution was fought for, local rights, property rights, a way of life, freedom from imperialism.

Robert E. Lee son of Col. Henry Lee .

Col. Thomas Jefferson Randolph grandson of Thomas Jefferson

General Joseph E. Johnston father a rebel in the Revolutionary war, grand nephew of Patrick Henry.

Lt. General Wade Hampton grandson of rebel cavalry colonel in the Revolutionary War.

Wasn't that a reason they rebelled in the first place. They lack the power to control their economic interests?

Wasn't that a reason they rebelled in the first place. They lack the power to control their economic interests?

Actually they rebelled because they could point to legitimate grievences, chief among them "taxation without representation". A violation of English law itself.

The colonist were not allowed representation by their own elected representatives in parliment. And they had little actual say at home that could not be overidden by parliment or the Crown.

The slaveholders not only had representation, they had over representation thanks to the 3\5 rule. And the had control of the Govt. For many decades. It was only when they saw their syranglehold on the Federal govt. Slipping away that the rebelled.

Something that the patron saint of disunion himself, John C Calhoun predicted would happen as far back as 1812.

He also had something to say about "scission".

"But if on a temporary superiority of the one party, the other is to resort to a scission of the Union, no federal government can ever exist. If to rid ourselves of the present rule of Massachusetts and Connecticut, we break the Union, will the evil stop there Suppose the New England states alone cut off, will our nature be changed Are we not men still to the south of that, and with all the passions of men Immediately, we shall see a Pennsylvania and a Virginia party arise in the residuary confederacy, and the public mind will be distracted with the same party spirit. What a game too will the one party in their hands, by eternally threatening the other that unless they do so and so, they will join their northern neighbors. If we reduce our Union to Virginia and North Carolina, immediately the conflict will be established between the representatives of these two States, and they will end by breaking into their simple units."

- Thomas Jefferson, June 1, 1798

Source:<http://college.cengage.com/history/ayers_primary_sources/jefferson_taylor_1798.htm?

Back