how many of your ancestors served in the civil war

Below is a list of members on my mother’s side who fought during the Civil War. There are others that I am still gathering information about.

My many times great grandfather - GEORGE W. FULLER Enlisted in Company K of the 8th Alabama Infantry Regiment on May 16, 1861 as a private. He was wounded at the Battle of Gaines' Mill, Virginia on June 27, 1862. His wounds caused him to be detailed to Selma, Alabama where he probably worked in the war arsenals operated by the Confederate government. He was paroled at Selma in June 1865.

Thomas Jefferson Fuller (brother of George W. Fuller) enlisted in Co H, 8th Alabama Cavalry in June of 1862 and was paroled at Selma, Alabama, in June 1865. Info from the US War Department states that Thomas Jefferson Fuller, Private, Co H, 8th Alabama Cavalry appears on the roll of prisoners of war paroled at Selma, Alabama during the month of June 1865 by Wm. R. Marshall, Colonel of the 7th Minn. Vol.

Richard P. T. Fuller enlisted on May 16, 1861 in Company K of the 8th Alabama Infantry Regiment as a private. He was wounded and captured on July 3, 1863 during the Battle of Gettysburg. He was sent as a prisoner to DeCamp Hospital in New York and received a wounded parole to be treated in a Confederate hospital in Richmond, Virginia. He returned to duty and surrendered with the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865.

Blake J. Fuller was killed on July 3, 1863 at the Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania while serving in Company K of the 8th Alabama Infantry Regiment. He was killed on July 3, 1863, during the last day of fighting at the Battle of Gettysburg. He enlisted in Company K of the 8th Alabama Infantry on May 16, 1861, at Radfordville, Perry County, Alabama. Fuller enlisted as a private, served as a musician and was promoted to Second Lieutenant on April 22, 1862

JESSE S. FULLER died of typhoid fever in a Richmond, Virginia hospital on August 14, 1862. He joined Company K of the 8th Alabama Infantry Regiment on March 17, 1862 in Perry County, Alabama.

Jefferson F. Fuller served as a private in the Phoenix Rifles, Company C, 17th Louisiana Volunteer Regiment organized in Union Parish, Louisiana. He enlisted on February 20, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi at the age of thirty-two. He was a physician. Fuller was captured and paroled at Vicksburg in July 1863 while in the hospital of General Smith's division. His name appears on a list of Allen's Brigade as one who was in camp waiting to be exchanged sometimes before April 1, 1864. His name also appears on a roll of prisoners of war surrendered by Colonel C. H. Morrison on June 9, 1865 and paroled at Monroe, Louisiana.

GREEN JACKSON MAYES, died while a prisoner of war in the Federal prison at Elmira, New York during the War for Southern Independence. Southern prisoners called the Elmira Prison Helmira because of the harsh conditions that existed there. Green served in the COMPANY M of the 2ND LOUISIANA INFANTRY REGIMENT. He was captured at Champion Hill, Mississippi on May 16, 1863 and became a prisoner of war.

SILAS MARION FULLER was born March 17, 1828 in Perry County, AL, and died January 12, 1912 in Lincoln Parish, Louisiana. Silas Marion Fuller served in Company E of the 12th Louisiana Infantry Regiment.

I have two more family members on my father’s side that fought on both sides… One is listed on a road side bronze marker at Antietam. More later on these two members..

Last edited:
I'm still looking for any of my own ancestors with a war record.

My wife and son have at least two Confederate ancestors. George Washington Ward was a Lt. in the 3rd North Carolina Infantry and had a distinguished military record, including service at Gettysburg. Jacob Wells Taylor was also a Lt., in Co. B, 1st Battalion NC Heavy Artillery (known as the 'River Guards'), where he served in defense of the Port of Wilmington. Late in the war, he was assigned to the infantry and was captured by the Yankees at the Battle of Bentonville.

Here are some more of the family that was in the civil war.

Xenophon Demosthenes Tingley B: 8/12/1844 D: 3/25/1933
Enlisted: Company I 11th Rhode Island Infantry 9/15/1862 - Mustered Out: 7/13/1863

Hartford Byron Tingley B" 7/28/1841 D: 6/4/1929
Enlisted: Company I 11th Rhode Island Infantry 10/1/1862 - Mustered Out: 8/3/1893

Edward B Dodge B: 4/1/1828 D: 5/19/1918
Enlisted: Company A 1st New Hampshire Heavy Artillery - 7/18/1863 - Mustered Out: 9/11/1865

I have even more that I am researching

I have 7 direct ancestors who served, 6 in the CSA, 1 in the Union. See signature for details. I've identified 19 collateral ancestors so far and still uncovering more. Mostly brothers of both male and female direct ancestors, a few nephews and cousins. All of my families were in the deep south by 1860, even those that fought for the Union, mostly AL and FL with a few in GA and SC.

I've found two direct ancestors so far and three ancestral relatives (I guess they'd be my 4th great uncles). One of the uncles was killed at Bull Run. All five men served for either NY or PA.

My Great Grandfather, Daniel Augustus Geiger, served in the 128th PA Infantry, captured at Chancellorsville, exchanged. Then served as a replacement in the 1st PA Cavalry, captured near White House Landing ans was in 4 Confederat Prisons for the last 11 months of the war. His brother, Franklin Geiger, served in the 151st PA Infantry and was KIA at Gettysburg on July 1.

Here are some more of the family that was in the civil war.

Xenophon Demosthenes Tingley B: 8/12/1844 D: 3/25/1933
Enlisted: Company I 11th Rhode Island Infantry 9/15/1862 - Mustered Out: 7/13/1863

Hartford Byron Tingley B" 7/28/1841 D: 6/4/1929
Enlisted: Company I 11th Rhode Island Infantry 10/1/1862 - Mustered Out: 8/3/1893

Edward B Dodge B: 4/1/1828 D: 5/19/1918
Enlisted: Company A 1st New Hampshire Heavy Artillery - 7/18/1863 - Mustered Out: 9/11/1865

I have even more that I am researching
Xenophon Demosthenes Tingley is my new favorite name.

I've looked, but no luck. On my father's side are a couple of ancestors who fought in the American Revolution, but I can't find any who fought in the Civil War. The one who was the right age to have fought (great grandfather who married the boss' daughter, his first cousin, oddly named Delilah) obviously didn't, unless he took a lot of trips home (baby every year). No information available on my father's mother's side. My mother's family all immigrated just after the war, so no joy there.

Still digging around but my 3x great grandfather was Ferdinand Lafayette Sorrels with the 38th Mississippi Infantry (later Cavalry). He was wounded at Corinth but as best as I can tell fought at Harrisburg and finished out the war.

I have ~5 from my paternal side, most of them associated with Texas Volunteer Cavalry regiments.

None of these five ever set foot east of the Mississippi River - which actually is very cool in my way of thinking - they served in the 'forgotten department'.

Two of the five were associated in a more 'nontypical' manner - confederate home guards and events leading up to the Nueces Massacre.

I also like to count a 6th paternal ancestor (a german-texan who harbored unionist sentiments) who while swimming/bathing in the Guadalupe River was murdered via a shot in the back from an unknown assailant. Lincoln's "a house divided..." rings with relevance, as the bushwhacked man had a brother away serving under Sibley in New Mexico at the time.

I admittedly only play the part of 'genealogist' when it is required for my 'historian' pursuits... but i recently had a pretty cool surprise.

My (maternal) grandmother is getting up there in the years, and she has taken a very proactive initiative to divying out the family collection and cataloging the last bits of family lore.

I recently had a (pre- or post-war) ambrotype and a piece of personal correspondence come my way of two different maternal ancestors with Civil War roots connecting them both to (two separate) volunteer regiments out of Maine... one being killed in Louisiana - and the other sick in a field hospital in New Orleans, later resurfacing as having been involved in the actions at Cedar Creek.

I am really hoping that my research results in either one/both of them having fought directly opposite my paternal Texas confederate ancestors 'for the feels, man'.

I'm the nostalgic type i suppose.

My gggrandpa came from an ohio family of dozens. i am just starting that side. there is a canadian blackfoot side with quebec arrival in 1649 from brittny france. i am over joyed! :wink:

Of my direct ancestors, I can confirm five who served in the Civil War, all Confederates. These are all g-g-grandfathers, except for Joel:

1. Henry Turner Barnes, 1845-?, Co. A, 30th Georgia Infantry
2. Martin Elam Potts, 1840-1879, Co. E, 7th Georgia Infantry
3. William Colder Denman, 1838-1906, Co. B, 30th Alabama Infantry
4. James Edward Beaumont Hall, 1847-1883, 1st Florida Reserve Regiment
5. Joel Thomas Hall (g-g-g-grandfather), 1811-1899, 1st Florida Reserve Regiment

James and his father Joel enlisted together in 1864, in what appears to have been an old-men-and-boys home guard unit; Joel was sent home after the first month.

Additionally I have one g-g-grandfather who was too old for military service, one g-grandfather who was too young, and one g-g-grandfather who died before the war. I also have a g-g-grandfather, Thomas Waters, who died around 1878 about whom I know almost nothing, who may have had wartime service -- not sure about that.

Additionally, my g-g-g-grandfather, Aaron Perry, was a member of the Texas House of Representatives for Limestone County at the time of secession in 1861. Lots of collateral relations, mostly uncles, who saw military service during the war, but I haven't run them all down yet. Lotta butternuts in that tree. Between direct and collateral relatives, they served in every theater and many major actions from Pennsylvania to Missouri to Florida to Texas -- except none of them at sea. Go figure.

Last edited:
i have 5 on my dad family severed in the Confederate army and my mom 2 in the union army

Confederate:
Pvt. Jos. B. Edelen, from PG Co, Md. Co. H, 7th Va Inf.: Shot in face at 1st Bull Run, lost an eye.
Asst. Surgeon A.L. Middleton, from Charles Co, Md:, 2nd Texas Inf
Pvt Thomas B. Berry, from Charles Co, Md, 21st VA Cv.
Sgt-Lt. Eben Stenhouse, Co. C, 2nd SC Vols.
Corp-Lt. John Warren White, Co. K, Palmetto Sharpshooters, SC Vols; mortally wounded at Petersburg 1864.
Pvt. Williamson, Co. A, 5th Ky Cav

Union:
Asst-Surgeon Dr. John Fleming Rodgers, 11th Ky Cavalry, USA

And a large number of their brothers, cousins, etc

Back