How Many Forum Members Had Relatives that Fought at Shiloh?

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
As new host of the Shiloh Forum, I thought it would be helpful to find out how many of our Forum members had relatives that fought at Shiloh. I had three: My G-G-G Grandfather, Lyttleton H. Johnson, and his half brother, William A. Harper were both in Company D, 6th Mississippi Infantry, and I spoke of them in my last post. The third was my G-G-G uncle, Drury C. Godwin, who served in Company E, "Liberty Guards," 22nd Mississippi Infantry. He was wounded in the battle, and his injury eventually forced him to transfer to a mounted unit, where he served in the 4th Mississippi Cavalry.

LibertyGuardsFlag_zpsdc77318d.jpg

Flag of the Liberty Guards

So I ask, how many of you had relatives that fought at Shiloh? I look forward to your responses!

One that I know of, mentioned in your thread 'Why Shiloh matters to me' was Pvt. Jesse Fox, Co. C., Blythe's 1st Miss. BN, Bushrod Johnson's Brigade. He was killed there. Jesse was my grandfather's half-brother, my grandfather being the youngest son of a ggrandfather's second marriage, and Jesse the product of his first. My Aunt, who by the way lives in Brandon, likes to surprise people by correctly saying that her uncle was a Confederate Soldier.

My g-g-g-grandmother's brother was in the 7th Arkansas that day. I believe they were in Hindman's brigade. After a year with the 7th, he was able to transfer and join his brothers in a Trans-Mississppi unit much closer to home.

My g-g-g-grandmother's brother was in the 7th Arkansas that day. I believe they were in Hindman's brigade. After a year with the 7th, he was able to transfer and join his brothers in a Trans-Mississppi unit much closer to home.
You are correct about the 7th Arkansas - they were in Hindman's Brigade, Hardee's Corps at Shiloh. One of the units in their brigade was Swett's Mississippi Battery, commanded by Captain Charles Swett - in his memoirs Swett gives a detailed account of the Battle of Shiloh - you can find it online here: http://www.genealogy.com/users/s/w/e/Mike-Sweet-/FILE/0010page.html

GGG Grandfather Salem E Kierolf , QM of the 27th Tennessee.

GGG Uncle Frank Conrad w/ F Cos 3rd IA VI. He would have been on the flank of the Hornets Nest in the Peach Orchard. The 3rd was able to withdraw w/out being captured. He had been in the army only a few weeks with Shiloh being his baptism of fire. He would lose an eye at the Hatchie later in the year and be invalided out. He returned home to farming, after the war farming in the Chatfield, MN area and being laid to rest in Douglas, MN.

As far as I can tell, most of the ones who missed Shiloh had been taken prisoner at Fort Donelson. Others joined later, and some were still in Mississippi.

GGG Uncle Frank Conrad w/ F Cos 3rd IA VI. He would have been on the flank of the Hornets Nest in the Peach Orchard. The 3rd was able to withdraw w/out being captured. He had been in the army only a few weeks with Shiloh being his baptism of fire. He would lose an eye at the Hatchie later in the year and be invalided out. He returned home to farming, after the war farming in the Chatfield, MN area and being laid to rest in Douglas, MN.

From reports and memoirs I've read, those Iowa boys were a tough bunch. They seemed to have some extra fortitude about them. Any confederates who faced Iowans were in for a long day.

One almost made it into the fight. My avatar, PVT Lewis Massuere, was in the 3rd Wisconsin Battery, which was part of the artillery reserve under Barnett in Crittenden's 5th Division, Buell's Army of the Ohio. According to the battery history:
“Nothing occurred to make this march eventful until Sunday morning, the 6th of April, on nearing Savannah it became evident that a battle was in progress somewhere ahead, and the battery being at that time in what was called a brigade of reserve artillery under command of Gen. Barnett, had to take the side of the road to allow the infantry to go forward as fast as possible.
“Such was the state of the roads by reason of the heavy rain following the battle of Pittsburg Landing and the passage of heavily ladened wagons, etc., that before the battery arrived at Savannah (which was not for several days after the battle) they had to build many miles of corduroy road in order to make any advance at all. After a short tarry at Savannah the battery went up the river to Pittsburg Landing, camping on the battlefield for some time, then advancing with the army and taking part in the siege and capture of Corinth, Miss...”​

From reports and memoirs I've read, those Iowa boys were a tough bunch. They seemed to have some extra fortitude about them. Any confederates who faced Iowans were in for a long day.

I thank-you for the compliment of our state's Civil War service sir. I would be remiss if it were not mentioned that many of these Iowa soldiers were born in other states before moving/enlisting in Iowa though.

Quoting from the book "Soldier Boy: The Civil War Letters of Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa" Describing the Battle of Helena. Arkansas fought on July 4, 1863.

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out, by g** d*****, them must be Iowa boys."

Indirect ancestors Chris. C., James A., and Peter A. Torian, 4th Tenn Inf. Peter was slightly wounded in the arm at Shiloh.

James was left for dead at Perryville but later exchanged. All three survived the war. Their home was Christian County, Kentucky, but they enlisted at Germantown in Shelby County, Tenn. Chris C. made orderly sergeant, and his records are full of requisitions for all manner of equipment and arms.

Last edited:
Frank Conrad Co F Third Iowa Enlisted in west Union Iowa on March 15 Records cannot confirm that he was there , but AAron Brown who enlisted him was there so we assume he was there.
He would have barely been issued his musket. Fortunatly the Third was a Veteran outfit.

Back