How do you explain your interest in the Civil War?

My parents knew people who lived it.
So did mine.

152 years ago might seem like a "long time ago", but when my parents were young children during the 1930's, a few of their elderly Confederate Grandfathers/Uncles were still living.

For many of us that grew up in the Deep South, memories of the Civil War have always been
around.

Monuments, historical markers & family stories are just a few reasons that explain our strong interest about the War.

Last edited:
It was a fascinating time in US history. All of the things that happened from Jamestown to the Revolution to the Industrial Revolution came together in a perfect storm that was the Civil War. It amazes me everyday that the war and its aftermath are still felt today 152 years after the fact. I don't think the war ever really ended except for the shooting part. It did galvanize us as ONE people...not Yankees or Rebs...but AMERICANS!!!! :smile::dance::bounce:

This is a great question @BelleBlackburn! For me, the Civil War relates to many of my other interests. I enjoy travel, romance, fascinating people, mystery, debate and the examination of history in general. My interest in the Civil War allows me to explore all of these and more. I also recognize the hard times people lived through during this time period and I admire the way it built character. I believe a lot can be learned from studying the Civil War and those lessons are quite applicable today.

I don't think I can really give a straight answer for it. I always enjoyed history but didn't have much exposure to the Civil War until history class in 9th grade. I was inexplicably addicted right away. My interests have since broadened and I place my greatest historical interests in the colonial era through the Civil War--mostly anything from the first half of this country's history will fascinate me.

I usually say it is because it is my history, happening on the ground I am standing on

You said that, for you, it related to the ground you stand upon.

but for us we've not had many wars on our soil and it's the only one that only involved our citizens (
As someone who is not American and does not live in your great country, my motivation is just the opposite! Finally this was a war where the Germans were NOT the bad guys for once!!!

. I enjoy travel, romance, fascinating people, mystery, debate and the examination of history in general

Yes, that nails it for me too. Plus the bittersweet empathy in the tragedies... and the overwhelming admiration for your people that raised from that all encompassing conflict to become the greatest nation in the world!

I struggle a bit to define just why I find the war so fascinating. I wasn't raised in any way that steeped me in the history of the war, not even as a lifelong Southerner. Indeed I suspect my father would have found the whole subject a pointless use of time. No, it was the removal of the battle flag from the SC statehouse grounds in 2015 that got my attention, and which motivated me to look into the history of the war to determine how much of what we were told about the flag and the Civil War was true. And I've been hooked ever since by the stories about the war, by the personalities involved, by the previously unknown to me ideas about state sovereignty and the concept of Union held by Southerners. It's endlessly fascinating, and every avenue of research opens up more doors for investigation and more questions.

But to get back to figuring out why the whole thing causes the reaction it does, on a purely rational level it really shouldn't. It's a century and a half ago that these events took place, and yet they stir me emotionally when I read about them. They're history, and what was done is done, with no changing it. And yet a dry, intellectual approach to facts doesn't seem to be in the cards here. I'm still debating just why that is. Maybe I"ll figure it out at some point.

Last edited:
I read a letter. I was researching a story and, via a very circuitous route (while trying to gain more insight into the situation in border states, e.g. Kentucky, during the Civil War where families often became divided) I came across the letter of a young Captain to his sweetheart. I, too, fell in love...with his story, and with the history of the Civil War. It seems a strange 'take' on war, but real people fought and died, and somehow the preservation of their memory, and the honouring of their sacrifice, has become important to me...

No, it was the removal of the battle flag from the SC statehouse grounds in 2015 that got my attention, and which motivated me to look into the history of the war to determine how much of what we were told about the flag and the Civil War was true. And I've been hooked ever since by the stories about the war, by the personalities involved, by the previously unknown to me ideas about state sovereignty and the concept of Union held by Southerners. It's endlessly fascinating, and every avenue of research opens up more doors for investigation and more questions. Whatever conclusions I've reached and whatever opinions I've formed have not been formed as a result of any youthful indoctrination, but have been reached as an adult, studying the history for myself.

Hey there, I find it really interesting that the modern, shall we say, battle for the flag is what got you interested in the war. I guess that whole thing opens up another can of worms though...

Hey there, I find it really interesting that the modern, shall we say, battle for the flag is what got you interested in the war. I guess that whole thing opens up another can of worms though...

The fact that we're still fighting over symbols from a 150 year old war that should have been done and dusted long ago sparked my curiosity about the original conflict. If we're going to have a cultural fight, I might as well understand the history behind it, right? If nothing else, I quickly learned just how little I really knew about the Civil War once I hit the books and started reading.

I got involved with Civil War history out of loneliness.

Being a soldier for 20 years was all that I knew, as I had graduated from high school at 18 and went directly into the US Army. It was the life I knew and loved, working and serving with fellow soldiers, enduring hardships and sharing experiences with my brothers-in-arms.

When I retired, I felt absolutely lost, unable to connect with civilian life nor have the comradeship that I had known all of my adult life. Depression set in for a good, solid two years as I went through the motions at my new life.

Then I discovered Civil War reenacting. I was invited to join a local group and the depression went away. Here was a group of people who had a goal, a mission, if you will, to recreate the life of 19th century soldiers. I had to unlearn everything I knew about the 20th century US Army, and learn all over again as a brand new fresh fish what it was to be a 19th century Union soldier. I had fellowship again and my loneliness went away and never came back.

It was during these reenactment events that I began to soak up bits and pieces of history and learn the history of the battles and men I was trying to portray at such events. The more I learned, the more humble I became, for these soldiers from long ago suffered and endured hardships I never experienced as a 20th century soldier. Just the differences in personal equipment and support I received in my day compared to theirs was extraordinary.

The more I learned how ordinary people did such extraordinary things during that hellish times made me want to learn more about them. I feel that I owe them for helping me with my problems by learning all that I can about them. They have made me proud to a part of them, to share their stories, which more often than not, continue to amaze and surprise me.

It's been 25 years now since I began to learn their story and as I have learned from others on this and other forums, I have only scratched the surface.

Unionblue

Wow! Such wonderful responses/experiences from everyone! I'm envious of all y'all!

I loath history! But I love stories and I love people and I especially love living in a time where we have so much information at our disposal (even if it makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes)!

I inherited some Civil War money when my Nanny died and I remember her pulling it out every once in a blue moon to show me when I was younger but I never gave it much thought. I had other youthful things to worry about but this last year I got to thinking about my family and some questions I had always had about my heritage came back into the front of my brain and I decided I would do some diggin'. My husband encouraged me to do a DNA test and while I was waiting on that I plodded through what I could remember of my Mom's and Nanny's side of the family tree and here I am today, trying to learn as much as I can about the time my ancestor lived and the war he fought because I never had any of that knowledge before. Heck, my family never talked about any of this stuff! There had been a lot of self discovery and I have had to take an honest look at some things so it has not been easy but I am a more realized person than ever before because of this effort. What is really wild is when I first learned I might have a Confederate ancestor, I got in touch with the local UDC for some help and more information and it turns out I actually have two cousins right here in California from Granddaddy Sorrels! What are the chances! I'm even more happy to have found family that I never would have knew existed if I had not started down this path.

I still dislike history but I'm taking my time and chewing on it bit by bit. I wish I had started my studies years before so I would be that much more ahead of the game but I have no regrets and am learning lots! The hubby loves my new hobby too, though I usually wake up and try to engage first thing the morning before coffee. "Really Babe?" He'll say. "it's 6 am and you want to talk about this now???"

I got hooked when my Grandfather took my brother and I to Shiloh when I was 14 to show us where is his GGrandfather fought and died for the South. hen I saw all the rows of Union dead with there individual headstones and the the 3 trenches where the CS soldiers were dumped and buried, it did something to me that has been with me ever since. Later that day I found a minnie ball that had washed of the bank of the sunken road and Ive been a CW Amateur Archeologist ever sine.

You are spot on as when I see the fighting to retake Mosul and remember the friends I lost when we took it the first time it reminds of the immortal words of General Patton to Montgomery. "I don't pay for the same real-estate twice"
I am currently reading a book "Aftermath of Battle - Burial of the Civil War Dead", and the last chapter I read (last night) talks about the aftermath of the battle of Shiloh and the burial of both Union and Confederate soldiers there...I, too, found it a depressing account, not just with regard to the number of dead, but also the treatment of the Confederate dead. U.S. Grant had taken it upon himself to arrange the burials for both sides due to the inclement weather (post battle). prior to getting a request from the Confederates on the 8th April to do so. No doubt haste played some part in their actions, but it makes my heart sore that greater effort wasn't applied in the circumstances with regard to the fallen Confederates. I guess that's the nature of war...

Last edited:
The fact that we're still fighting over symbols from a 150 year old war that should have been done and dusted long ago sparked my curiosity about the original conflict. If we're going to have a cultural fight, I might as well understand the history behind it, right? If nothing else, I quickly learned just how little I really knew about the Civil War once I hit the books and started reading.

I actually really appreciate that you decided to take the time to learn about the conflict. Since this whole debate has intensified, I hear so many people spouting opinions without historical background. I'm not saying their opinions are invalid, as they are of course entitled to them, but it's refreshing that someone actually took the opportunity to learn! As a long-time student of the Civil War era, it has always tended to strike me as odd that there is this modern cultural conflict over the flag. I don't really like taking history out of context, and to me it has always been something I associate with a particular period in history. Anyway, like I said, can of worms :D

Both my Grandfathers were interested in it, and gifted me liberally with books. I also had an awesome teacher who let me read from his personal library. Between them I got to read Catton's Centennial History of the Civil War and Grant by Jean Edward Smith. Between them, I got addicted, and never looked back.
And we are SO blessed to have you in our ranks! Intelligent, enthusiastic, insightful young people such as yourself make me hopeful that Civil War studies (whether professional or amateur) will continue to develop and thrive and are in good hands for the future.

I got involved with Civil War history out of loneliness.

Being a soldier for 20 years was all that I knew, as I had graduated from high school at 18 and went directly into the US Army. It was the life I knew and loved, working and serving with fellow soldiers, enduring hardships and sharing experiences with my brothers-in-arms.

When I retired, I felt absolutely lost, unable to connect with civilian life nor have the comradeship that I had known all of my adult life. Depression set in for a good, solid two years as I went through the motions at my new life.

Then I discovered Civil War reenacting. I was invited to join a local group and the depression went away. Here was a group of people who had a goal, a mission, if you will, to recreate the life of 19th century soldiers. I had to unlearn everything I knew about the 20th century US Army, and learn all over again as a brand new fresh fish what it was to be a 19th century Union soldier. I had fellowship again and my loneliness went away and never came back.

It was during these reenactment events that I began to soak up bits and pieces of history and learn the history of the battles and men I was trying to portray at such events. The more I learned, the more humble I became, for these soldiers from long ago suffered and endured hardships I never experienced as a 20th century soldier. Just the differences in personal equipment and support I received in my day compared to theirs was extraordinary.

The more I learned how ordinary people did such extraordinary things during that hellish times made me want to learn more about them. I feel that I owe them for helping me with my problems by learning all that I can about them. They have made me proud to a part of them, to share their stories, which more often than not, continue to amaze and surprise me.

It's been 25 years now since I began to learn their story and as I have learned from others on this and other forums, I have only scratched the surface.

Unionblue
Thank you for sharing this very personal story. I'm moved by it and please let me tell you that I'm very glad you got your balance back through reenacting. It was a reenactor at Appomattox Court House who initially sparked my interest in your Civil War, so somehow a circle is closed.

I don't think I can really give a straight answer for it. I always enjoyed history but didn't have much exposure to the Civil War until history class in 9th grade. I was inexplicably addicted right away. My interests have since broadened and I place my greatest historical interests in the colonial era through the Civil War--mostly anything from the first half of this country's history will fascinate me.
Welcome, enjoy

Great question! As someone who doesn't have relatives who fought in the War, my intense feelings about it reflect my intense feelings for our country and for the people, for defining who we are and what we believe. So much changed because of the Civil War and the seeds of ongoing change were planted (e.g., race relations, economics, our place as a world power). I see many people here as passionate about history, but equally passionate about learning the lessons of our history and how they impact our lives in the now.

Did any of that make sense? I'm not sure it did to me, either.

Adam
Makes perfect sense to me, since you express my own feelings precisely. Regarding "learning the lessons of our history": We can't always talk about those lessons here at CWT (the no-modern-politics rule), but each of us certainly carries those lessons out into the modern world with us in our different ways. The great thing about CWT gathering so many diverse people who are passionate (and knowledgeable) about history is that we can always learn from others, even those who derive quite different lessons than we do.

My Dad was interested in history and made sure that the first time we were close to the Alamo, after I started school, we went to see it. Then came visits to the other San Antonio missions, San Jacinto, the battleship Texas and Vicksburg. By then, I had a raging curiosity to know what happened "back when."

My interests are ALL history -- social, economic, political, military. I love reading about the siege of Vienna, the defense of Malta, Egyptian, Aztec ....... I love it all!

My main focus for the past 20 years has been Confederate railroads and their interaction with the Civil War, but I cheat and read other periods frequently.

Back