How common were Model 1833 Dragoon sabers?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I am working on the arms held by the militia of my home state of Michigan at the start of the Civil War and had a sword question. Since 1851 the Michigan Adjutant General's Report had the 770 State owned cavalry sabers, broken down into new and old models. I assume the "old model" cavalry sabers were Model 1833 Dragoon sabers. It is clear that Michigan lacked enough cavalry sabers to arm even the First Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment so the federal government must have supplied the sabers. But somehow the 770 State owned sabers disappeared at about this time and I assume most left the State with the First Michigan Cavalry. This made me wonder how common the Model 1833 Dragoon sabers were during the Civil War.

I wonder if the "old model" is referring to the M1818 Starr saber. The Federal government bought these in significant numbers specifically for "arming the militia". We know the Southern states used these old M1818s and even older sabers, e.g. M1813s and Virginia Manufactory sabers, to arm their cavalry units. The M1833 were produced in much smaller numbers and I believe were intended primarily for arming the newly-established Federal dragoon units - I'm not sure whether any were provided to the States by the Federal government, although some States did buy them for themselves.

I wonder if the "old model" is referring to the M1818 Starr saber. The Federal government bought these in significant numbers specifically for "arming the militia". We know the Southern states used these old M1818s and even older sabers, e.g. M1813s and Virginia Manufactory sabers, to arm their cavalry units. The M1833 were produced in much smaller numbers and I believe were intended primarily for arming the newly-established Federal dragoon units - I'm not sure whether any were provided to the States by the Federal government, although some States did buy them for themselves.
You could be right. One issue here is the records of the early militia are lost or destroyed so I do not know when the Michigan Territory and State of Michigan was receiving arms.

I don't have the page or notes handy (probably the Hamilton book) on the Texas order but it is the only contract I am aware of aside from the 6,000 or so troopers swords of the federal contract. Hickox does mention 4 officer swords ordered by Pennsylvania and those were inspected in Springfield. Also of note is a (likely) scant number of topographical engineer officer swords in brass scabbards (Hamilton? I am going from memory) .

It had been pointed out elsewhere that there were contracts for the foreign made swords through Tiffany and a number of other swords imported to supplement the production of the 1833. One could suppose that all of the contract 1833 swords (minus loss in the Mexican War) could have been fielded in the ACW but a minor player compared to the astronomical number of swords produced in the US and imported during the war years.

Cheers

GC

I am writing something and want to say Michigan had enough reasonably modern arms to arm one infantry regiment and, a cavalry regiment and an artillery company. I have:

23 6-pound cannons
596-1226 muskets (a couple hunderd of which were Model 1855)
330 rifles
400 musketoons
600 Colt revolvers
57 other pistols
750 to 770 cavalry sabers
120 NCO swords
121 artillery swords

I am not sure I see enough weapons to arm a cavalry regiment. 770 saber, 600 Colt revolvers are not enough arms for a normal cavalry regiment, I suppose a couple hunderd musketoons could have been issued as well. It might be best to leave it at "Michigan could only arm a single infantry regiment".

I don't have the page or notes handy (probably the Hamilton book) on the Texas order but it is the only contract I am aware of aside from the 6,000 or so troopers swords of the federal contract. Hickox does mention 4 officer swords ordered by Pennsylvania and those were inspected in Springfield.

Glen, Massachusetts's National Lancers militia cavalry unit were armed with M1833 sabers with brass scabbards. (I just missed winning one in an auction last year - came in second.) They were apparently purchased directly from Ames and were not inspected by the Federal government. They were marked "MS" on the quillon and the blade was marked either "National Lancers" or "United States Dragoons". Some had rounded pommels, others had stepped pommels as used on Federal contracted swords. Don't know why the difference - probably separate lots.

KHNL3.jpg

KHNL6.jpg

South Carolina also contracted for M1833 dragoons. The SC sabers also had a smooth pommel and the blades were marked "South Carolina" in place of "United States". I can't put my finger on the sources right now, but as I recall Georgia and perhaps some other states also bought M1833s. One, I think maybe Georgia, was silver washed.

Civil War Peservations has photos of several of these in Ken Hoffmann's ebook "Swords of Honor". They also have pictures of other ordinary US-inspected M1833s with state markings, including North Carolina, so it appears at least some state units received M1833s from the government

Last edited:
Back