Recreated Hoppin’ John: A New Year’s Tradition

All the native people here eat collards – the sizable Indian population is especially fond of them. Collard sandwiches are often a popular item at fund raising efforts and fetch amazing prices for such humble fare -- they were selling for $6 dollars each at one recent local festival. A collard sandwich consists of two cakes of fried hoecake corn bread with collards, pieces of fried fat back meat and couple of cayenne peppers as the filler. It is important to allow a couple of frosts to hit collards before cutting and eating them. Frost takes away the bitterness and tenderizes them.
Right. Greens are much better after frost hits them.

No doubt. We used to have a garden on the Louisiana farm. They're best freshly shelled, purple hulls are better, and second best after being frozen.

The beauty of going to a small school. Occasionally our food lady brings home-picked peas and cooks 'em. The kids even eat them. :smile: That's one of the few days I enjoy lunch!

My wife has made this for some time to bring in the New Year. HOWEVER....Not like this recipe. I would love to subsitute the White Rice with Wild-Rice. And adding the above stated greens. I love Mustard,and or Collard greens with a small handful of chopped fresh Watercress and Chives to top it off. And using smoked Tasso or Andouille sausage. All delicious! Thanks
I hope its period...

Back