Holiday Cocktails - Period & Modern

Had a coworker at the holiday party have WAY too many yummy drinks and started running around hugging everyone and telling us how much she loved us all :giggle:

We sent her home in a taxi with another co-worker since she couldn't even remember her home address!
Tis the season to O.D. on holiday cheer. Been there, done it a few times. :wink:

Often times my research spurns interesting topics that deal with everyday life during the Civil War. While trying to figure out what exactly people would drink during the holidays during the war I stumbled upon a great resource called "The Cook's Guide, and Housekeepers & Butler's Assistant" from 1683 and found some fun and unique period cocktails.

As it's the holidays I thought it would be festive to share favorite holiday libations of the past and the present. These two are period cocktails.

Cheers!

Brandy Smash
Put three slices of lemon in a tumbler with a few slices of pineapple, add a dessert-spoonful of sifted sugar; fill up with shaved Wenham Lake ice, or with any other clean ice; add a wineglass of brandy; mix and drink devoutly.
Sleeper
To a gill of old rum add one once of sugar, two yolks of eggs and the juice of half a lemon; boil half a pint of water with six cloves, six coriander seeds, and a bit of cinnamon, whisk together, and strain them into a tumbler.

How does one drink devoutly? Hmm.

Back