High Water Mark in Fog - Panorama

Is that a HDR effect you used ? Very nicely done :smile:
Thank you, but no, this is not HDR. It's a panorama that was 'stitched' together in Photoshop from several images, but they were all taken at the same exposure. Before assembling them in Photoshop, the images were processed in Lightroom to open up the shadows and bring down the highlights, so that's why it seems to have the broad dynamic range typically associated with bracketed HDR images.

I occasionally use bracketed shots to create HDR images, but only in rare instances when the lighting conditions create extreme contrasts between the light and dark areas. I've found the dynamic range from my camera's sensor is usually sufficient to reclaim shadow and highlight details from a single shot, as long as I shoot in RAW format.

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome.

There are several shops in Gettysburg that carry my posters, and a few that carry small selections of my prints (for example, The Jennie Wade House Museum Gift Shop carries some of my images of the house and local monuments to her) but I do not have a public studio or storefront. For now, at least, my website is my primary sales venue.

To answer your other question, I typically use the automated panorama feature in Photoshop CS6, and then use a combination of Lens Correction and Adaptive Wide Angle filters to correct any distortions. That's usually sufficient, even though I typically shoot my sets hand-held in vertical / portrait orientation, and just overlap my shots by eye.

Omigosh that's wonderful.

I've tried some panoramas in the past, but they're not even in the same universe as this one. How very, very special.

Omigosh that's wonderful.

I've tried some panoramas in the past, but they're not even in the same universe as this one. How very, very special.
Thank you!

I've only been doing panoramas for a short while, but I learned pretty quickly that they are difficult to do not because of the photographic techniques involved, but because a panorama requires certain compositional elements to be successful. One has to have a strong foreground element in the proper spatial relationship to the middle and background elements or the resulting image is just a large empty space, with nothing to guide the viewer's eye. And finding such scenes can be quite difficult!

In this particular image, I was fortunate to have the caissons as an ideal focal point, but still have the distant monuments as the middle ground, with the sky, fog and hills to make the background interesting. I can assure you that most of my panoramas have not been as successful... so in the case of your own, just keep at it. Eventually you'll find a scene with all the right elements, in the right positions to one another, and you'll be all set!

Hello Robert!
Welcome from York County, PA.
Your work is beautiful and quite inspirational. With your ability & imagination, there is no limit to what you can accomplish. Best wishes for continued success!

Back