1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Henry Louis Gates and Black Confederates (Redux)

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by jgoodguy, Dec 31, 2013.

1. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Henry Louis Gates and Black Confederates (Redux)
    Kevin Levin December 31, 2013 @KevinLevin

Sounds a lot like discussions here.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Mark F. Jenkins

Mark F. Jenkins Major Forum Host

TAKE COVER!!!! :frantic:

4. jgoodguy

I expect our esteemed membership will have a polite conversation.
    If not ...... ​
    [​IMG]

Mark F. Jenkins likes this.
  5. Bryan_C

Bryan_C Sergeant

I think the reason Black Confederate soldiers is even an issue is simply because of what it says about how we remember the Confederacy. If Black men were willing to fight and die for the South, and were accepted by White Confederates in the process, then this says the Confederate States was less about slavery and more about multiracial acceptance. It's a nice thought but not one I have found to be true.

We can speculate all day about how many Blacks fought for the South. And I don't think I have found that "some historians are reluctant even to entertain the possibility that some black people, no matter how twisted their logic, would decide to ally their best interests with the Confederacy." I think most historians admit that somebody DID fire a shot in anger at a Yankee soldier in a four-year war. That's not hard to believe, at least for me. But I think the issues many of us have are 1) trying to make men who saw themselves (and were seen by others) as servants/slaves into soldiers and 2) claiming that thousands of Blacks were recruited and enlisted Confederates.

I think there definitely is an answer to the story. But I don't think it's one that fits into a simple black-and-white box with no shades of gray (wow, talk about Pun City at the end of that right there).

6. Mark F. Jenkins

Mark F. Jenkins Major Forum Host

I find the "Black Confederate" argument as uncomfortably similar to the infamous "one drop" rule... if there's "one drop" of "black blood," in you, then you're "black"; if there was one "Black Confederate," then the war wasn't being fought against Black rights. Illogical and pernicious, and at its core, most likely racist.

7. jgoodguy

I personally don't like the strongman argument from the quote
    where "some historians" are never named.

8. damYankee

damYankee Sergeant Major Forum Host

Just because some slave owners joined the CSA and took their slave servants with them doesn't mean blacks served in the CSA anymore then we could say slaves in the south were happy participants in the cotton industry.

Bryan_C likes this.
  9. Bryan_C

Bryan_C Sergeant

I think many of us still struggle with the one-drop rule. But I've said before I'd rather be Black and have everyone know it than be Black and hope no one finds out.

Mark F. Jenkins and AndyHall like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)