1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Henry Grieswald a/k/a Heinrich Grunwald and Heinrich Grunewald 1st New York

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by pgraves, Aug 19, 2013.

1. pgraves

pgraves Private

Looking for assistance in finding out what happened to him. Born in Odessa in 1826. Immigrated to US in 1849. Enlisted in the 1st NY Infantry on Apr 22, 1861. NY Adj Gen report says he mustered out w/ regiment in May 1863. I have all his records from NARA. The Company Muster Roll Apr 1863 says "Roll aft 3 of 63 not on file" which I read as March of 1863. My experience shows that units mustered men out even if their whereabout were unknown. Family history says he may have been captured. Name doesnt appear on any POW rolls that I have access to. His father's will executed in 1867 omits him. No other siblings omitted. 1st NY particpated in Fredericksburg Dec 1862, the Mud March Jan 1863, and later Chancellorsville in May 1863.No pension applications. Any suggestions on where else I might look?
    east tennessee roots likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots Sergeant Major

Might try here : http://www.findagrave.com/
  4. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots Sergeant Major

At fold 3, there is a pension file card for a veteran of the War with Spain. The name is Eugene Griswold. The regiment is 1st NY Infantry Company F. Same company and regiment as your Civil War ancestor. ( maybe his son ? )

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)