Help with possible ancestor and his Unit

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I am trying to find more information on John Wesley Newman. His mother was Rebecca Francher. His father was John Newman. It was Rebecca's second marriage. She was first married to John Drewin (Druin).

Rebecca is suppose to be my husband's 4 x grandmother.

John is supposedly listed in 39 Tennessee Mounted Infantry Company C. Would like more information on his service during Civil War. Also information on that Unit.

Thanks for any help.

jwn.jpg
Donna, here's a John Wesley Newman, from Tennesee, married to a Minerva, whose mother's name is Anna Rebecca? His father was Jonathon. They do not mention Civil War service though. 1827-1878, died in Arizona, sometimes can mean there's a land grant? Photo of this John Welsey. This profile doesn't have anything extensive like whether or not anyone was married before, etc. Saved the link for you in case it's promising.

Happened to look in CWT looking for something- saw this, thought I'd take a look at Ancestry. Couldn't hurt! It's amazing the number of times families on Ancestry do not know of someone's Civil War record.

I am trying to find more information on John Wesley Newman. His mother was Rebecca Francher. His father was John Newman. It was Rebecca's second marriage. She was first married to John Drewin (Druin).

Rebecca is suppose to be my husband's 4 x grandmother.

John is supposedly listed in 39 Tennessee Mounted Infantry Company C. Would like more information on his service during Civil War. Also information on that Unit.

Thanks for any help.

Enlisted at Danridge, Tennessee, Sept.29, 1862. He is present on the roll till surrendered at Vicksburg July 4, 1863. Signed his parole on July 10th. No further record. Many of the east Tennesseans paroled at Vicksburg, soon found themselves behind Union lines in east Tennessee and never returned to the army. Some who weren't fully committed to the Confederate cause even switched sides.

http://www.tngenweb.org/civilwar/csainf/csa39m.html

some of my family history in that part of east Tennessee is here: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/ell...om-east-tennessee-to-texas.92366/#post-759358

Would he still be considered honorable discharge? I don't know about when they sign paper they won't fight? Can anyone explain.

He was probably eventually declared "deserted." I'm sure it would prevent him from drawing a Confederate pension., unless he could prove he attempted to rejoin the army and had a good reason for not being able to. Many of these men left the area after the war. Lots of bad blood.

Would he still be considered honorable discharge? I don't know about when they sign paper they won't fight? Can anyone explain.
The record from fold3 he signed pledging he wouldn't fight again was a parole.
Basically he is promising not to fight again until he has been exchanged for a Union prisoner being held by the Confederacy.
http://civilwarhome.com/parole.htm

Last edited:
That not good he be a deserter for joining socities. I know for United Daughters have to prove honorable discharge. Does any one know any more on this?

Donna, there were parole camps established where they were supposed to report and await exchange. In my northeast end of Tennessee there was one at Jonesboro in Washington County. The father of my maternal great-grandmother had served through the Vicksburg siege with the 3rd Maryland Artillery. (joined them in Knoxville) By October,63 he was declared "deserted." The following July, he joined the 90-day Union 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. (a "well-organized band of outlaws") and drew a Federal pension after the war.

That not good he be a deserter for joining socities. I know for United Daughters have to prove honorable discharge. Does any one know any more on this?

There is a John N. Newman (in my opinion the "N" could be a miss-transcription of a "W") 1st Lieutenant in the UNION 9th Tennessee Cavalry Co.B. Enlists at Camp Nelson, KY. Aug.15, 1863. He is captured, August 29, 1864 at New Market, Tennessee. Held at Danville, Virginia and Sailsbury, NC. Paroled at James River, Virginia Feb. 1865.

Here's what we do know:
John was furloughed at a parole camp in Enterprise, Mississippi on July 22,1863.
Page 6.jpg

Sometimes, these lists covered men who never showed up at the Parole Camps, but it's obvious John was there.

An interesting discussion of the post-Vicksburg "parole camps" at Enterprise, Mississippi and Demopolis, Alabama can be found at this link,

http://www.history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs62x/alcwmb/arch_config.pl?md=read;id=4894

Many of the troops paroled at Vicksburg did join other units and were actually re-captured during the remaining Western Theater campaigns.

This is an extreme long shot, but Enterprise, Mississippi is almost on the Alabama state line, not that far from Mobile.

A relatively new Alabama regiment had been formed the previous March, the 57th Alabama Infantry.
The 57th Alabama was stationed in Mobile at the time.
http://archives.state.al.us/referenc/alamilor/57thinf.html

I did find one card from this regiment that lists a Pvt. John W Newman,
Page 21.jpg

I say again . . . it's a long shot , but might be worth exploring.

Last edited:
Many of the Vicksburg POW's went to a Parole and Exchange Camp in Enterprise, MS. They were exchanged eventually amid some controversy and discussion about if it was carried out properly. But they were allowed to fight again. They would not be labeled a deserter.

I can't remember which Mississippi regiment it was but they were exchanged and arrived in time for the Battle of Lookout Mountain---but armed with ole discarded rifles.

2 choices - 1 - stay in a pow camp 2- sign a paper that says you won't fight again if released !!!! the comforts of a pow camp will win everytime !!!!! and don't forget Rat Call !!!!

Back