Image positively ID'd: J. C. O. Redington, Lt. Col. 60th New York Volunteer Infantry

Shoot! I was bidding on the image in question (the OP) on Ebay but was outbid at $67.78. :cry:

Im hoping that maybe someone else here was the lucky buyer! Otherwise that person will probably never know who he is. And that would be a shame after all of @Frederick14Va 's sleuthing to ID him. :nah disagree:
I haven't been on ebay for a while but can't bidders still contact sellers? Write the seller with the info and suggest he pass it along.

Shoot! I was bidding on the image in question (the OP) on Ebay but was outbid at $67.78. :cry:

Im hoping that maybe someone else here was the lucky buyer! Otherwise that person will probably never know who he is. And that would be a shame after all of @Frederick14Va 's sleuthing to ID him. :nah disagree:

Awww that's a shame... I thought this was an image you had found and collected... poor guy placed into some collectors photo album and most likely back into unidentified obscurity....

Hi, I just joined this web site so I am not sure if this will get to you all. My name is Connie. I worked with folks from the St. Lawrence County NY Historical Association http://slcha.org/ a few years back on the two group pictures you have above that are available from the Library of Congress. They are/were the 60th NY Infantry and yes, you definitely have a picture of John Calvin Owen Redington. I am in frequent contact with one of his ggg?who knows how many g's? granddaughters. He was born Aug 8, 1837 in Moscow, NY (Leicester) son for Presby. Rev John Harris Redington and Ruth Emily Washburn. His parents died young and he grew up in New England, graduating from Middlebury and then moved to Ogdensburg, NY in 1858/9 to run a music store & teaching in a Mission Sabbath School. He was with the 18th NY first at Bull Run and later joined the 60th as Capt. He was promoted to Lt. Col. on Nov 6, 1862. He led Skirmishes at Antietam and Gettysburg and led the regiment at Chancellorsville. After the war he moved to Syracuse and married Emma Swanger. We published an article about the two group pictures in the SLCHA Quarterly in 2012 and are still trying to identify all of the photos in that big picture. WOULD YOU LIKE TO HELP US FINISH THAT? Those 2 photos were taken in August of 1862 at Fauquier White Sulphur Springs near Warrenton, Va. At that time a number of members of the 60th were quite ill and dying of disease. The photos were taken just before the Battle of Antietam. We pretty much know who should be in the pictures from information on who was in service at that date but we have not tied all the names to the faces yet. Identified in the formal Library of Congress picture are: seated left to right - unknown 1stLt, unknown officer, Capt Abel Godard, JCO Redington, unknown 1st Lt...... Standing left to Right; unknown 2nd Lt, Lt Edwin A Merritt, 2nd Lt. Lester Willson; Col. William Bingham Goodrich (big guy with the beard standing in the middle - killed at Antietam - number of plaques with his name on them at the battle field today - buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn); Maj. Edward James (shortly after this picture was taken he joined the 106th NY as Col. His daughter became a famous artist), Lt. Col Charles R Brundage, unknown Capt, unknown 2nd Lt, Captain Thomas Elliott. In the informal picture - Left to right - on ground -Lester S Willson, Edward C. James, Unknown, unknown.....seated unknown, JCO Redington, Col. William Bingham Goodrich, Lt. Col. Charles R Brundage - standing Capt Abel Godard, possibly 2nd Lt. James Hurst, Edwin A Merritt

Connie Sterner [email protected]

PS this picture you have of JCO Redington, do you know when and where it was taken? Connie
Hi Connie

Welcome to CivilWarTalk. Glad to have you aboard!

The image was for sale on Ebay. It was unidentified except that on the back was written in pencil "3rd Pa Cav." I am often intrigued by unidentified photos and so I posted the image here hoping for an ID. I was bidding on the image on Ebay but was outbid at $67.78, so unfortunately, I do not have the photo.

Hi Connie

Welcome to CivilWarTalk. Glad to have you aboard!

The image was for sale on Ebay. It was unidentified except that on the back was written in pencil "3rd Pa Cav." I am often intrigued by unidentified photos and so I posted the image here hoping for an ID. I was bidding on the image on Ebay but was outbid at $67.78, so unfortunately, I do not have the photo.

Laura - so glad you found the picture and put it up here. We were all thrilled to find it - yet another picture of JCO..... makes you wonder how someone could think 3rd Pa. when there is a 60 inside the curved horn right on his hat! We all thank you. :smile: Connie

Laura - so glad you found the picture and put it up here. We were all thrilled to find it - yet another picture of JCO..... makes you wonder how someone could think 3rd Pa. when there is a 60 inside the curved horn right on his hat! We all thank you. :smile: Connie
Would you like for me to email you the image from my computer so you will have it?

Bumping this thread so it can be easily located by J.C.O. Redington's great grandson. I posted the ID'd image on Find-A-Grave back in 2015 and Redington's descendant just contacted me about the image. I sent him this link, but in case he doesn't make it here to offer his thanks in person, he wishes to express his sincere appreciation to @Frederick14Va @AndyHall and everyone else who worked to ID this image of his great grandfather four years ago. :bounce:

Back