Help please -Uniform Inquiry?

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
What kind of uniform is this? Does he have bell-bottom trousers? @major bill @Frederick14Va @Patrick H @7th Mississippi Infantry @Cumpston1862 @ErnieMac @AndyHall @huskerblitz
Uniform inquiry.JPG

Last edited:
Neat image. I believe he is wearing bell bottoms and I think the hat tells the tale. I couldn't make it out in the photo. Steam Boat, RR ?

Last edited:
Hard to see for sure. A soldier in an infantry frock coat the collars open? Perhaps nine buttons with two buttons on the sleeve cuffs. If so the frock coat is too long for him.

I'm looking at this via my phone so take my view with a grain of salt. There are several options.

The jacket is certainly a frock coat that appears slightly too large.

I can't get the picture large enough to see if he is holding a hat or not.

If the frame is curved the appearance of bell bottoms could be an optical illusion caused by the bend at the bottom of the picture. Some soldiers were issued trousers that were too long and would roll the bottoms inside the trousers creating a similar look. It could also simply be a set of pantaloons. There were several units that received a mix of uniform items that don't seem to go together.

One Wisconsin unit ( forget the Regt) was raised as a Zouve unit but never received a full issue of Zouve clothing but did receive partial issue creating a mismatched appearance. The men proudly wore their crimson pantaloons until they wore out and went to great effort to replace them. I have seen a CDV taken at Vicksburg of a proud Sgt in a frock coat, undressed Hardee hat in hand and very clearly wearing pantaloons. I have seen a similar photo showing a soldier in a sack coat, Hardee & pantaloons. So a variety of uniform combinations are quite possible, especially early war. Though it must be remembered that odd uniform combos existed throughout the war.

No much, Can you get it out of the case to photo?

The image appear to be reversed. I think I see two brass buttons on each sleeve cuff. I am going out on a limb here, but perhaps he is holding a forage cap with the top pointing towards the camera.

Last edited:
The issue with identifying uniforms is that you can not check your answers the next day like you can when you complete a cross word puzzle in the newspaper. I have had experts spank me on my opinion more than once. I myself do not have any problem with this as each time I was spanked I learned something. If I was overly concerned with never making a mistake I would just keep my big yap shut. I am sorry but I am just not good at keeping my big yap shut. I can provide references if anyone believes I have do not have difficulties keeping my big yap shut.

Observations.....
- Coat has the characteristics, cut, and cuff trim of an enlisted frock coat. Appears the subject has turned the collar over in civilian garb fashion. The respective "buttons" have been tinted-retouched as was common in images of the period so can only rely but so well on the accuracy at face value... Coat does appear to be too large for the person... hence likely the reasons for the collar alteration...
- Cap... appears to be holding a forage cap...
- Trousers... appear of a lighter shade that would agree these are most likely issued sky blue trousers... Trousers were intentionally "baggy"... with full legs... and cuffs "to fit well over the foot".... if one has a pair a bit too large, they could give the illusion of something else.. If the subject was wearing boots (rather than brogans)... the pant legs unbloused over the boot... it could sometimes easily give the appearance of a abnormal full belled trouser leg....

... or as the term of the late 1960 era pant style then commonly known as "Bell Bottoms"... made a brief resurgence in the latter 90's with a new generation... I was quickly scolded that theirs were entirely different and called "Flare Legs".. Ha !...lol...

Whoa! Thanks @Yankeedave I hadn't even paid any attention to his fingers or hand. It sure does look bony. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this one so when it arrives I will post some better pictures.

Should be here soon as it is only coming from Hickory, NC. I figured that at $50 for the image in the oval case it was a reasonable purchase. In the meantime, here are some additional pictures.
16th image in case.JPG 16th image North Carolina.JPG 16th inside case label.JPG 16th inside case.JPG 16th Case.JPG 16th case front.JPG

Back