Help looking for a photo- Co K, 55th Illinois Infantry

I will but it will take a bit. The typing is small and not very dark. Written in the more flowery language of the day. Slow reading for me but so very interesting. If I start reading it again I won't be able to put it down and my research will go on the back burner.
On the subject of names, I love Orion Perseas and Lyston D (forget what the D was?) Something innovative I hope.
I understand, it took me a week to transcribe an officer's reimbursement form written by my ancestor.
I could have said the same thing in less than half his words, but his penmanship was far prettier than anything I can write.

I understand, it took me a week to transcribe an officer's reimbursement form written by my ancestor.
I could have said the same thing in less than half his words, but his penmanship was far prettier than anything I can write.
Yes, it is amazing how much our language has changed. Would they have thought we are all uneducated by the way we speak today? And I wonder where some of them learned that fancy penmanship? I remember having cursive letters to trace and copy but they weren't that fancy.

The information from "findagrave" is not correct. There were two James Moneymakers who served. My relative James K P was born in VA and did not survive the war.
This grave belongs to James M Moneymaker Pvt, Co D, 6th TN Infantry GAR. He served with his brothers Lewis, William, Phillip, Matthew and Luke Moneymaker. He died in 1897 at Scarborough, TN.
I have contacted findagrave and asked that the information be corrected.
Thank you for finding this and bringing it to my attention.

Back