1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Help in identifying these siege guns

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by Billy1977, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Billy1977

Billy1977 Corporal

Hello everybody, I was hoping someone here could help me figure out what type these Confederate siege guns are. It's from old stereograph photos and the related negatives and the captions just said they were Confederate siege guns captured at Richmond.

Civil War; Confederate.artillery.siege.guns.[here.captd.by.Union]..jpg
    Civil War; Confederate.artillery.siege.guns.[here.captd.by.Union]...jpg
    Civil War; Confederate.artillery.siege.guns..jpg

Thanks very much in advance to whomever can identify these mystery siege pieces.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com First Sergeant Forum Host

I will look in my CS artillery books when I get home but I believe that the first 2 photos are of single banded Brookes guns. I will look at the other photo closer but there seems to be several different ones.

JohnW. and lelliott19 like this.
  4. Billy1977

Billy1977 Corporal

Thanks UCVRelics.com! That was amazingly fast.

JohnW. likes this.
  5. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com First Sergeant Forum Host

Since were snowed in here in The Heart Of Dixie I fixed a drink and pulled out my arty books. The top 2 photos are indeed Brooke. They came in several different flavors, 1 2 0r 3 banded, smooth-bore and rifled, I believe the first photo is of the 7 inch and the second is of the 6.4. They were only made in 2 places Richmond and here in Alabama at Selma. The last photo is of several different pieces and I see 2, 12 howitzers, a few 24lbers but the one that caught my eye was the 3rd one from the end on the right hand side. Its a very small tube and after looking closer I believe its a Whitworth.

6. William G Hendry

William G Hendry Private

wow you guys are good.

Billy1977 and JohnW. like this.
  7. Billy1977

Billy1977 Corporal

Thanks so much UCVRelics.com, and great job in eyeballing it. And in picking out individual types in that third photo.

"wow you guys are good."

I second that William G. Hendry.

8. USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA Corporal

9. Billy1977

Billy1977 Corporal

Yes USS Alaska, you're right. (And the photos in your thread are of much better quality than the ones I found.) The full caption said they were seized at Rocketts in Richmond but I didn't know what "Rocketts" referred to so I left it out and just said "Richmond". So Rocketts was a steamboat landing in the city?

USS ALASKA likes this.
  10. Billy1977

Billy1977 Corporal

By the way, what are the siege guns in the last two photos on page 4 of your thread?

11. USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA Corporal

To the best of my knowledge, the naval facility at Rocketts was what later became the Confederate Navy's 'Richmond Naval Yard'.

As to the exact type of weapons shown in the photos, I would not know.

Cheers,
    USS ALASKA

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)