Impressions Help identifying hat and jacket In This photo

Ronhoffman2

Cadet
image.jpeg
Can anyone with some good knowledge help possibly identify this jacket and hat. It is from an ancestor who was in the 28th NC Infantry, Co I. I'd like to match the jacket and hat but am not experienced enough to tell what they are from what little is shown in the photo. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much to go on. I have a feeling that this is a frock coat. The should straps would have been worn early in the war, most officers went to the Confederate style collar officer rank in time. He appears to be a second lieutenant, but even this is hard to be sure of.

Fold sides on what they call a anteitem style slouch hat. Would need to see the full jacket to give a answer. Most officers in the early parts of the war in North Carolina wore frocks and that one would be a jr officers single breasted frock if it is a frock.

He also has an ostrich plume on his slouch hat.

OST65_BLK-3.jpg

Last edited:
When I began to try to recreate my ancestor's uniform and equipment, I didn't have so much as a photograph. I did however search and discover images of other soldiers from his regiment. I also found publically available copies of their correspondence, with occasional mentions of food and descriptions of uniforms and gear. Local newspapers from his regiment's home counties also had mentions of the arrival and distribution of rifles and uniforms. Sometimes information came from sister regiments raised nearby and during the same months.
You'll be amazed what is available in a simple Google search.

Back