Hector Boiardi ( Chef Boyardee)

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
With today, Jan. 4th, being spaghetti day, thought post about the famous Chef Boyardee. I remember eating his spaghetti all during my childhood. It was always a good lunch for me.

Hector Boiardi was born on Oct. 27, 1897 in Piacenza, Italy. He came to U.S. when he was 16 years old to Ellis Island in N.Y.C.

His brother, Paolo was a chef at The Plaza Hotel in N.Y.C. He started there and worked his way up to chief chef. He also worked at the famous Greenbrier in White Sulfur Springs, W.V. He actually handled the catering for the Wedding reception of President Woodrow Wilson in 1915 at The Greenbrier.

He opened his own restaurant in Cleveland in 1926. Patrons loved his spaghetti and sauce. Later he started selling his products to the public in 1927. He sold his brand under the name "Chef Boy-Ar-Dee".

During World War II he produced rations for the Allied Troops and was awarded the Gold Star order of excellence from the U.S. war department.

Later he sold his business and is now run by ConAgra Foods.

He died in 1985 in Ohio.

No way, Donna! Thank you for this history. It never occurred to me growing up there was a man behind all those commercials- corporations did too fine job of bringing canned pasta down to 1960's, kitchen table, kids' appeal. Mom would never buy it ( along with Cheerios, Fruit Loops or Spaghetios and I'd have sold a sister for a pair of plastic, white go-go boots, also on the ' No ' list ) but OH we wanted that canned Chef Boyardee. The man on T.V. said we had to want it.

That's a wonderful story! I'd heard Chef Boy-ar-dee was a real person but it was hard to connect a real person to the product...:laugh: Conagra hasn't done his recipes any good - if he's anything like my old friend Mr Madrigalli he'll float into their kitchen one day and beat them with his heaviest sauce spoon! Loved the ravioli, though, and the plain spaghetti. Mom would put bread crumbs and butter on it, then bake it.

Oh - he's Italian? Always thought he was Native American. Guess there's a difference between Chef and Chief. Those minor details will get you every time!!!!

Loved the ravioli as a kid. I haven't had it in years though. I've graduated to frozen ravioli with the sauce of my choice, though I do have to say my favorite is a nice fra diavolo sauce as the spicy goes goes with the beef ravioli.

Back