Headstone With Civil War Unit Inscription

My G-G-Grandfather:
41003426_133281638487.jpg
bf-1.jpg

View attachment 42198

This soldier is not my kin, but buried in my church cemetery. As you can see, it is not strictly a civilian stone with the mans regiment engraved but a "Double". I wonder if any of you have seen other examples of this. The man has one or two half brothers that served buried nearby, but they are strictly civilian with no mention of their service.

My wife's 2nd great-grandfather whose photo I posted, has a another "civilian stone" at his grave with just his name and dates.

Based on the date, and he being one of Hagoods Brigade boys... naturally assumed he met his fate as a result of Hagoods costly attack at Weldon Railroad on Aug 21st...

Out of curiosity checked his CMSR file and noted that he is listed as died of disease at the South Carolina Hospital in Petersburg Va on Aug 22nd... Most all that Ive previously researched at the SC Hospital were all buried at Blandford Cemetery which was nearby.

There was also a Daniel S. Silcox listed in the same company and unit. He also seemed to have had significant ailment issues throughout the war...

Wow, I don't believe you actually looked that up. Yeah, James died of disease (not specified) and is one of the few buried in Blandford who are identified. Family lore says he was given an overdose of medication by a nurse. If true, I can only guess that maybe he got laudanum instead of paregoric. It doesn't appear that he was wounded. James was mentioned in the paper for his role in defending Ft. Sumter.

Daniel Seymour Silcox was James' brother. He was sick mostly and ended up in the quartermaster department. I'm not sure he ever saw combat. After the war and his father's death DS ran the family business but nearly bankrupted it and died of alcoholism in New York City. His father had been a wealthy man. Oh well.

I have the SC Hospital at the corner of Washington & Jefferson in the Osborne & Chieves factory building (which is, as you say, close to Blandford). Is that what you have ?

My great-Grandfather is buried at Beauvoir but the put the wrong unit on his headstone. Beauvoir said they would order a new one but I guess Katrina messed up their plans.

Pvt. Henry A. Cole, Co. A, 30 Mississippi Regiment
HenryCole-2008.jpg

Henry's brother died early in December 1861 and his headstone did not identify him as a soldier.
Our family had a new base installed to support the original headstone that identified his Regiment.

Robert. E. Cole, Co. G "Black Hawk Rifles", 22 Mississippi Regiment
Methodist Cemetery at Black Hawk, MS
RobertCole_Steve-2008.jpg

Robert has another headstone installed at Camp Beauregard, KY, where he died. I believe the SCV added these headstones in the early 1900's.
Robert E. Cole's other headstone.
KY_RobertECole.jpg

The final resting place of their father has not been found.
Pvt Richard W. Cole, Co. C, 5 Mississippi Cavalry, KIA at Battle of Fort Pillow April 12, 1864.

Wow, I don't believe you actually looked that up. Yeah, James died of disease (not specified) and is one of the few buried in Blandford who are identified. Family lore says he was given an overdose of medication by a nurse. If true, I can only guess that maybe he got laudanum instead of paregoric. It doesn't appear that he was wounded. James was mentioned in the paper for his role in defending Ft. Sumter.

Daniel Seymour Silcox was James' brother. He was sick mostly and ended up in the quartermaster department. I'm not sure he ever saw combat. After the war and his father's death DS ran the family business but nearly bankrupted it and died of alcoholism in New York City. His father had been a wealthy man. Oh well.

I have the SC Hospital at the corner of Washington & Jefferson in the Osborne & Chieves factory building (which is, as you say, close to Blandford). Is that what you have ?

Have long had a fondness of Hagoods Brigade, and have studied their activity for several decades. They also camped and fought around the farm I grew up on, which was part of the Bermuda Hundred Campaign... also later learned I had a number of ancestors amidst their ranks as well... Have hoards of data and files collected about them over the years....

Have long had a fondness of Hagoods Brigade, and have studied their activity for several decades. They also camped and fought around the farm I grew up on, which was part of the Bermuda Hundred Campaign... also later learned I had a number of ancestors amidst their ranks as well... Have hoards of data and files collected about them over the years....

Way cool. Maybe some of your folk knew some of mine. I love those kinds of coincidences. Should you run across anything Silcox related I'd be much obliged if you would share it.

Back