Headstone With Civil War Unit Inscription

Cumpston1862

First Sergeant
Ladies & Gents-

How many of you have pictures of your Civil War ancestor's civilian headstone with their unit(s) inscribed on them? It seems to have been fairly common and obviously a great source of pride that the boys blue and gray wanted all to know they were with a specific unit after they had passed on.

Here is my ancestor's headstone in Oregon.

Albert Cumpston Company B, 12th Illinois Infantry.

Albert.R.Cumpston.Headstone.Friends.Cemetery.Yamhill.County.Oregon.jpg

Ladies & Gents-

How many of you have pictures of your Civil War ancestor's civilian headstone with their unit(s) inscribed on them? It seems to have been fairly common and obviously a great source of pride that the boys blue and gray wanted all to know they were with a specific unit after they had passed on.

View attachment 42163

2 of my wife's Union ancestor / relatives from the Bluegrass State ( her dad's family. ) Her mom's family were Confederate from s.w.Virginia.

Private Silas Anderson Co.D 11th KY Cavalry. Died at Andersonville. Her 1st cousin 4 x removed.

Private George H. Powell Co.D 37th KY. One her 2 x great- grandfathers.

Silas Anderson Union 11th KY.jpg
Union Veteran George H Powell 37th KY.jpg

2 of my wife's Union ancestor / relatives from the Bluegrass State ( her dad's family. ) Her mom's family were Confederate from s.w.Virginia.

Private Silas Anderson Co.D 11th KY Cavalry. Died at Andersonville. Her 1st cousin 4 x removed.

Private George H. Powell Co.D 37th KY. One her 2 x great- grandfathers.

View attachment 42165 View attachment 42166

East Tennessee-

I don't have any relatives in the 11th Kentucky Cavalry but I found a certain celebrity that does a while back. Her GG Grandfather served in Company B 11th Kentucky Cavalry...James O. Lawrence...GG Grand Daughter Jennifer Lawrence.

Jennifer Lawrence GG Grandfather.jpg

JENNIFER-LAWRENCE-KATNISS.jpg

Expired Image Removed
Lawrence Daffan of the Fourth Texas has a private stone with all that inscribed, but that fits as he was very active Texas Brigade veterans' events.

Ladies & Gents-

View attachment 42163

Only ones with units noted are distant cousins.

Where in Oregon might Albert be located ? I might be able to drop by and honor him if that would be OK.

IMG_5613.JPG

Very cool. Do you have this transcripted as its kind of difficult to read...or perhaps my computer screen needs to be upgraded.

It reads,

LAWRENCE AYLETTE DAFFAN
Born in Conecuh County, Alabama
April 30, 1846
Died in Ennis, Ellis County, Texas
January 28, 1907
A Good Citizen. A Brave Soldier.
Faithful to Every Trust.

Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God.
- St. Matthew 5:8

A Member of Hood's Texas Brigade
Company G, Fourth Texas Regiment
Army of Northern Virginia
Confederate States of America​

I'm sure his daughter Katie made sure of the inscription on the stone, even though her mother was still living. Cousin Katie was already a past president of the Texas Division of the UDC (and would go on to serve four more terms), and secretary of the Hood's Texas Brigade Association.

IMG_5610.JPG

There is also a later, upright stone at the foot, likely also placed by Katie, with the inscription from a song by Sir Walter Scott:

Soldier rest, thy warfare o'er,
Sleep the sleep that knows not breaking.
Dream of battle field no more,
Days of danger, nights of waking.​

IMG_5607.JPG

Last edited:
Only ones with units noted are distant cousins.

Where in Oregon might Albert be located ? I might be able to drop by and honor him if that would be OK.

Mr. Winn-

I have not been able to make it out to Oregon to do so myself. I would be greatly honored and pleased if you were to do this for me and the extended family. If I may pray a favor upon you if it is close to you and you can visit my ancestor. I would consider it a great service if you get get some pictures of his headstone and other family stones closeby. Thank you for this kind offer.

Albert Cumpston is laid to rest at the Friends Cemetery in Newberg, Yamhill County Oregon.

Please feel free to post distant cousins on this thread by all means. Blood is blood sir; even if it has been thinned a bit. :happy:

It's a terrible image, from Find-a-Grave. I have a better one at home. It reads,

LAWRENCE AYLETTE DAFFAN
April 30, 1846
January 28, 1907
Faithful to Every Trust.

[inscription I can't read here]

Member of Hood's Texas Brigade
Company G, Fourth Texas Infantry

I'm sure his daughter Katie made sure of the inscription on the stone, even though her mother was still living. Cousin Katie was already a past president of the Texas Division of the UDC (and would go on to serve four more terms), and secretary of the Hood's Texas Brigade Association.

Thanks!

Mr. Winn-

I have not been able to make it out to Oregon to do so myself. I would be greatly honored and pleased if you were to do this for me and the extended family. If I may pray a favor upon you if it is close to you and you can visit my ancestor. I would consider it a great service if you get get some pictures of his headstone and other family stones closeby. Thank you for this kind offer.

Albert Cumpston is laid to rest at the Friends Cemetery in Newberg, Yamhill County Oregon.

Please feel free to post distant cousins on this thread by all means. Blood is blood sir; even if it has been thinned a bit. :happy:

Newburg is not close but we make it to Portland several times a year and Newburg is close to Portland. I promise you that the next time I'm in Portland I will make a point to visit the Friends Cemetery and place something in honor of your relative. It can be a small world eh ?

It might take a bit to dig up photos of the distant cousins' stones but I'll have a look. No promises though although I appreciate the invitation.

Newburg is not close but we make it to Portland several times a year and Newburg is close to Portland. I promise you that the next time I'm in Portland I will make a point to visit the Friends Cemetery and place something in honor of your relative. It can be a small world eh ?

It might take a bit to dig up photos of the distant cousins' stones but I'll have a look. No promises though although I appreciate the invitation.

Thank you sir!

If your travels do not permit such a visit the offer is still truly appreciated!

Ladies & Gents-

View attachment 42163

Not surprisingly, there weren't many Confederate veterans with their service inscribed on their markers in east Tennessee. Many had family and neighbors that were Union. If they stayed here (many were forced out or voluntarily left.) They wanted to put it all behind them as opposed to celebrating the "Lost Cause." Here's two east Tennessee Confederates, one from both sides of my family tree. They both died of disease in Alabama. Both are buried in Magnolia Cemetery, Mobile Alabama. Both had brothers in the Union Army. Henry Blakely a 2nd great grand uncle (paternal side )
had two brothers and 1st cousin in the Union Army. John W. Hulse 1st cousin 4 x removed (maternal side) He, another brother, and his father, died while in the Confederate Army. Another brother, a Captain in the 122nd Illinois Infantry survived the war.

Grave of Cofederate Henry C Blakely.jpg
Grave marker of John W Hulse.jpg

OK. Here's one. Pvt. James Silcox, the brother of my great grandmother. The stone is a cenotaph in Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston, SC; he is actually buried in a mass grave in Petersburg, VA.

View attachment 42190

Based on the date, and he being one of Hagoods Brigade boys... naturally assumed he met his fate as a result of Hagoods costly attack at Weldon Railroad on Aug 21st...

Out of curiosity checked his CMSR file and noted that he is listed as died of disease at the South Carolina Hospital in Petersburg Va on Aug 22nd... Most all that Ive previously researched at the SC Hospital were all buried at Blandford Cemetery which was nearby.

There was also a Daniel S. Silcox listed in the same company and unit. He also seemed to have had significant ailment issues throughout the war...

Last edited:
024.JPG

This soldier is not my kin, but buried in my church cemetery. As you can see, it is not strictly a civilian stone with the mans regiment engraved but a "Double". I wonder if any of you have seen other examples of this. The man has one or two half brothers that served buried nearby, but they are strictly civilian with no mention of their service.

View attachment 42198

This soldier is not my kin, but buried in my church cemetery. As you can see, it is not strictly a civilian stone with the mans regiment engraved but a "Double". I wonder if any of you have seen other examples of this. The man has one or two half brothers that served buried nearby, but they are strictly civilian with no mention of their service.

I know of two examples in local cemeteries where there are both civilian and military stones. Good find.

View attachment 42195

It reads,

LAWRENCE AYLETTE DAFFAN
April 30, 1846
January 28, 1907
Faithful to Every Trust.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
- St. Matthew 5:8

A Member of Hood's Texas Brigade
Company G, Fourth Texas Regiment

View attachment 42196

There is also a later, upright stone at the foot, likely also placed by Katie, with the inscription from a song by Sir Walter Scott:

Soldier rest, thy warfare o'er,
Sleep the sleep that knows not breaking.
Dream of battle field no more,
Days of danger, nights of waking.​

View attachment 42197

Awesome! Thanks for the follow-up Andy!

Back