Heading to Vicksburg tomorrow.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
Would any Vicksburg locals here in CWT be available or willing to do the private Champion Hill Tour on Saturday if I can arrange it? It's $100/per person with a 2 person minimum and I would pay the $200 for the both of us.

Awesome place.....so much to see and read.
I spoke briefly with the man working at the Old Court House Museum today about Vicksburg now being on the Yazoo River. He told me the Mississippi River changed course on Grant's birthday in 1876. That's a neat bit of information.

I spoke briefly with the man working at the Old Court House Museum today about Vicksburg now being on the Yazoo River. He told me the Mississippi River changed course on Grant's birthday in 1876. That's a neat bit of information.
Well, technically Vicksburg proper is on the Yazoo Diversion Canal. :smile:
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/a-2nd-chance-for-vicksburg.101797/

I'm glad you're having an enjoyable trip !

We're looking forward to the pictures. :thumbsup:

Have fun! It's such a massive battlefield. I think I suffered from information overload as much as the heat!
I have hired an NPS guide for 3 hours this morning. I see information overload in today's crystal ball. :D I see a couple more trips to Vicksburg too.

OMG y'all! I was at the NPS Park from 8am-4:30pm. Campaigned right through lunch. Then made a quick run back to Soldiers Rest Cemetery. Think I mighta solved a mystery about my ancestor in the 40th Alabama Infantry today. More later. I'm in the chow line right now and darn grateful not to be on the rations of a Confederate soldier at Vicksburg.

Thanks for the updates. Cannot wait for pictures
It was a great day to be there. Fantastic weather and the swales/ravines/sapps/etc. between the lines were recently clear cut. You could clearly see how steep the grade was that assaulting forces had to climb. I marched down into one to see a marker. Gonna do more of that on the next trip.

Last edited:
Back