"Hard Tack Come Again No More"

Ha! And iew! I really have to read the series- Dad just loved them, we must have 3 tattered paperbacks of every edition around here somewhere. I may have gotten into them here and there when I was in school sometime, have forgotten what I knew. The BBC series was awfully good, from what I could see.

Boy, you wonder how sailors maintained the energy to do the arduous work they had to do every day. The food had to have been just dreadful across the board.

cw hardtack.jpg
cw hardtack2.jpg
cw hardtack3.jpg
cw hardtack 4.jpg
cw hardtack weevils.jpg
cw hardtack weevils2.jpg

Of course I got distracted by the subject of hardtack- which of COURSE also came in all shapes and sizes and recipes. If reenactors eat this stuff, more power to them, makes them more amazing, with larger dental bills than the rest of us, too.

I think one summer, cleaning out the house of someone who had passed away- we found weevils in flour. Just little, black things, in the flour bin? It was I guess 2 months or so after the woman had died, someone asked if I'd please go help, they needed someone who could be relied on not to slide valuables down their socks to go in, respectfully pack her items. I'm a very good person to ask, because I kind of believe that person can SEE you, for one thing, for another, being a PK sticks with you for life. :smile: Anyway, helped empty the kitchen of dry goods- there were a lot of these in the flur, some in the cereal, although after the flur experience, I didn't look at anything else very closely, just pitched. What I want to know is how on earth these bugs get in places? That bin looked awfully well-sealed to me, where do the critters come from?

Dad said we all have eaten a vast quantity of bugs, we just do not know it. Boy, that'd keep you on a diet, if weight were an issue, huh?

Back