Happy Lupercalia, Tomorrow! Today? Happy Valentine's, From Ladie's Tea!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
vd2.jpg

Happy Lupercalia is tomorrow, so sorry! Not to drag a thread down with too much History but once again those dratted Pagans were responsible. February 15th was a fertility celebration ( wasn't everything? ) jumped on by a Pope ( weren't all of them? ) and changed to a Christian celebration named for a Saint ( of course ). It seems to be unclear which St. Valentine he intended to honor, too. Still, I'm pretty grateful to this Pope. Lupercalia sounds like an unspecified skin disease or worse, not anything connected with romance, cupids, chocolate tipped strawberries or baby's breath clotted roses.
vd 11.jpg

A soldier's Valentine!

vd 9.jpg

Swans? Perfect!

As is typical, we seem to have become a little weary of trying to sort the whole thing out. For once, it's a little ok card companies jumped into the act. For a few centuries Valentine's Day, the result of a past Pope's attempt to crush Paganism in a Christian world, has been a pink, white and red break in winter for all of us. A laced-edged, rose scented, romantic, nice break, whether or not one has a Valentine.
vd 10.jpg

If ever a day were tailored to embrace all-things-Victoriana, it would be Valentine's Day. Our era did it beautifully.
vd3.JPG
vd4.JPG

Louis Prang ' did ' exotic ( his frog themes for Christmas make your head spin ) cards for all occasions.

vd 9 1835.jpg

1848, a sailor's carved wish to his Valentine.

vd5.JPG

From ' Godey's ', a romance filled bit of one of their sagas

vd 7 1860 vic nd al mus.png

vd6 63.JPG

A Valentine Poem, from Godey's, 1863

vd 6 1860 vic and al mus.JPG

The era Valentines are just amazing. I'd frame each one.

vd1.JPG

AND.... Harper's!! I think this is 1862- it could be 1863.

vd har1.JPG
vd har2.JPG

That was kind, thank you! It's all out there, I'm just nosy enough to go get it, that's all.

So we could turn Valentine's Day and Lupercalia into what the Brits do with Christmas and Boxing Day! Right? Today is the 15th- and Lupercalia! Steal an extra holiday and who can't use one in February?

vd pa civil war.jpg

From our ' PA Civil War ' site

vd special collectn uofsouthhampton.jpg

U of SH, and on of my favorites!

vd godey's 2.jpg

Godey's, of course

v19.jpg

A wonderful, perfectly hokey but do not change a thing, Recipe For Love- Pinterest

Back